Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ASU fans drive me insane
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
ASU fans drive me insane
Jonesboro is a town of about 63,000 people. By D1 standards...we are a small town. Yet, our small town actually has a real life FBS football team. Something only about 120 or so other towns in the United States can claim. Even better...we have a winning football team, something far fewer towns can claim.

Yet, when the most critical game of the season came along, when a win would lock up bowl eligibility, and give us the inside track to our 3rd straight bowl game, a cloudy day with a few sprinkles drives everyone away.

I don't flipping care that it was on TV. I don't flipping care that you are cold...I don't flipping care that you are wet. You decided to bring yourself to the game. THAT MEANS YOU DO NOT LEAVE EARLY!

It is a freaking ASU tradition. Fans show up 15 minutes late, then leave at half. Today, in a television game, in front of two groups of bowl officials, our fans put on one of the most embarrassing crowd performances I have seen at ASU. I know we announced 23K, but there were maybe 20,000 people there.

And the worse part. At halftime it started sprinkling a little bit, and almost instantly I watched large sections of fans start emptying out. Nevermind the rain...it was freaking halftime of a flipping tie game, and you go home?!?!

What on earth in Jonesboro is there to do that is so earth shattering you have to miss the last half the football game for it? That was lame, pathetic, and should not be tolerated. We are a flipping FBS football program that has won 26 games in the last three flipping years! ACT LIKE IT!

If you are only going to come and stay for a half, give your tickets to someone who will come for the entire game. We don't need your support. Go cheer for Eastern Michigan...I hear they need fans.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2013 01:42 AM by chiefsfan.)
11-17-2013 01:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: ASU fans drive me insane
(11-17-2013 01:41 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Jonesboro is a town of about 63,000 people. By D1 standards...we are a small town. Yet, our small town actually has a real life FBS football team. Something only about 120 or so other towns in the United States can claim. Even better...we have a winning football team, something far fewer towns can claim.

Yet, when the most critical game of the season came along, when a win would lock up bowl eligibility, and give us the inside track to our 3rd straight bowl game, a cloudy day with a few sprinkles drives everyone away.

I don't flipping care that it was on TV. I don't flipping care that you are cold...I don't flipping care that you are wet. You decided to bring yourself to the game. THAT MEANS YOU DO NOT LEAVE EARLY!

It is a freaking ASU tradition. Fans show up 15 minutes late, then leave at half. Today, in a television game, in front of two groups of bowl officials, our fans put on one of the most embarrassing crowd performances I have seen at ASU. I know we announced 23K, but there were maybe 20,000 people there.

And the worse part. At halftime it started sprinkling a little bit, and almost instantly I watched large sections of fans start emptying out. Nevermind the rain...it was freaking halftime of a flipping tie game, and you go home?!?!

What on earth in Jonesboro is there to do that is so earth shattering you have to miss the last half the football game for it? That was lame, pathetic, and should not be tolerated. We are a flipping FBS football program that has won 26 games in the last three flipping years! ACT LIKE IT!

If you are only going to come and stay for a half, give your tickets to someone who will come for the entire game. We don't need your support. Go cheer for Eastern Michigan...I hear they need fans.

Seems like you have posted this on the wrong board chiefsfan. But I understand your fraustration and Cajun fans can be just as fickle when it rains. For most home games, a large number of our fans either enter the game after the 1st quarter or hang out in tailgating areas with friends. It is what it is......sad to say.
11-17-2013 02:16 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I felt it needed to be said several places.
11-17-2013 02:27 AM
indianE Offline
2nd String

I Root For: stAte
Re: RE: ASU fans drive me insane
(11-17-2013 01:41 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Jonesboro is a town of about 63,000
Actually 70,187 in 2012...just saying. I agree with your post though; it's very frustrating!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
11-17-2013 06:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
Locking the gates once everyone's in the stadium might be a workable solution.

Alternately, charge a stout fee to leave early.

All kidding aside, must be frustrating. As you say, how embarrassing to have reps from two bowls there watching as the stands empty at halftime of a tied game of that importance. Doesn't send a very good message.
11-17-2013 06:48 AM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
Why are some at the game to begin with? Why go though all the work of getting ready, driving, parking, just to leave way early?

The game in the end is not very important to those people. Most will probably be the first to complain when the winning ends, and it will end. It ends for everyone.
11-17-2013 07:29 AM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
ASU fans drive me insane
Get the hell over it!

Biggest damn problem with this conference is whiney ass we're not worthy worriers who are self-conscious about their programs.

Illinois is freaking Big 10 playing a top 5 team in decent weather in the daylight and their stadium wasn't half full. Deadspin mocked their card trick thing because the crowd was so small.

Rutgers was fighting for their bowl life and plenty of seats available.

Very few schools fill their stadiums. Far fewer in November. Why do we sweat what is normal.
11-17-2013 07:53 AM
gostAte870 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Arkansas State
I'm just happy that they showed up in the first place, and for all we know, they showed up in the first place because the coaches asked for us to show up, and they wanted to support the team. At least 5K-7K didn't come due to the cold, 30 mph winds, and the rain. The first group of fans that left mainly had little kids that were getting cold, and the second group of fans that left later in 3rd seemed to be leaving because the rain seemed to be picking up and their wives/girlfriends were throwing a fit about being cold and wet. I'm just happy that folks are showing up late in the season when the weather gets like this. If the weather cooperates, then we'll have well over 30K for Georgia St.
11-17-2013 08:09 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(11-17-2013 07:53 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Get the hell over it!

Biggest damn problem with this conference is whiney ass we're not worthy worriers who are self-conscious about their programs.

Illinois is freaking Big 10 playing a top 5 team in decent weather in the daylight and their stadium wasn't half full. Deadspin mocked their card trick thing because the crowd was so small.

Rutgers was fighting for their bowl life and plenty of seats available.

Very few schools fill their stadiums. Far fewer in November. Why do we sweat what is normal.

you guys are doing better than some. san jose state usually has 6 or 7,000. smu which use to hang with the big boys had a bout 14,000 yesterday and only 69,000 showed up at Jerry World for the much hyped game between baylor and texas tech..
11-17-2013 08:32 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
ASU fans drive me insane
As a group we are doing as well or better as schools with more years or more prestige. We aren't Bama or Michigan and neither are most of the 120+ in FBS.
11-17-2013 08:36 AM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
I feel ya, but that is the life of non-major schools. Notice I didn't say P5, but only the "elite" programs draw that well consistently. Why that is, I don't know. What it is about UT football that fills the stadium and makes people stay but not 80-90 other schools is beyond me.
11-17-2013 08:45 AM
Advertisement

Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stAte
I was happy with everyone except the students. This is the first game their section wasn't full. I suspect the bowl officials saw all the people on the home side and were content. That's the money side filled with people who will travel to bowl games. I think TV was a huge issue. I drove up from LR but was tempted to stay at home where I could put my feet up, watch in HD and drink a few cold ones instead of being the cold one! No shame in 20k on a dark, windy, rainy, November night.
11-17-2013 09:11 AM
CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
ASU fans drive me insane
(11-17-2013 01:41 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Jonesboro is a town of about 63,000 people. By D1 standards...we are a small town. Yet, our small town actually has a real life FBS football team. Something only about 120 or so other towns in the United States can claim. Even better...we have a winning football team, something far fewer towns can claim.

After having visited Jonesboro I can say with almost absolute certainty that there is nothing more entertaining to do over there than a stAte football game.
Bundle up, bring a poncho. I'm sure the crappy weather wasn't a surprise.
11-17-2013 09:55 AM
gostAte870 Offline
Special Teams

(11-17-2013 09:55 AM)CajunFan3406 Wrote:  

After having visited Jonesboro I can say with almost absolute certainty that there is nothing more entertaining to do over there than a stAte football game.
Bundle up, bring a poncho. I'm sure the crappy weather wasn't a surprise.

You must have forgotten that Jonesboro is "The City of Churches". The Baptists know how to boogie!COGS
11-17-2013 10:13 AM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
a few other fan bases would have been happy with 20K fans, including mine for our last home game
11-17-2013 10:40 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

We have a good fan base. When your town is 70,000 and you average 23K tickets and 20+ actual you are doing okay. The town paints up, people wear their gear, and lots of Red Wolf related stuff is in sight always.

We have a lot of support....but they just can't show up at the right time or leave at the right time or tolerate one drop of rain.
11-17-2013 10:48 AM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

That's life...people don't like being uncomfortable...just be happy you won!
11-17-2013 12:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Warsaw landing Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM

I know you where in Monroe for the ULM and Astate game and saw what a truly pathetic crowd on a cold, windy and rainy day looks like. 20k in bad weather is very impressive in my opinion.
11-17-2013 04:00 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Think the main thing is that they showed up at all. Paid seats keep programs going.
Lot of decreased football attendance the last few years, even in the SEC.
You guys are far from being Eastern Michigan or FIU.
It's a fine line with a family as to when to leave, especially with rain of any sort.
Guys don't want to seem to put football before family, even though in their minds they might a little sometimes.
11-17-2013 08:02 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
I agree with what's been said. Sure, compared to the trend that stAte has been on, the latest disappointments in attendance and participation are less than acceptable, but think about things in the long run. Things are looking up and stAte is in a much better position than many other schools. Keep things moving forward, and don't focus too much on bumps in the road.
11-17-2013 08:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.