The Cajuns are one step ahead...
08-23-2013 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
RE: The Cajuns are one step ahead...
A lot of pressure on the Cajuns to win their first outright Sun Belt conference title in school history. Maybe that is all CUSA was waiting on.......win the Sun Belt once first.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2013 06:09 PM by GSU Eagles.)
08-23-2013 06:03 PM
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(08-23-2013 06:03 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  A lot of pressure on the Cajuns to win their first outright Sun Belt conference title in school history. Maybe that is all CUSA was waiting on.......win the Sun Belt once first.

You've got to be kidding. Winning a conference means nothing to moving up. Tulane moved up with a terrible football team and nearly dead fan base. Southern Miss has had a great team for decades but can't get out of CUSA. I'm just excited for football period!02-13-banana
08-23-2013 06:15 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

Yes, it was a joke, but it is funny that the Cajuns think they are too good for the Sun Belt, but they have never won the conference outright in over 20 years of trying.
08-23-2013 06:19 PM
1st String

(08-23-2013 06:19 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Yes, it was a joke, but it is funny that the Cajuns think they are too good for the Sun Belt, but they have never won the conference outright in over 20 years of trying.

We are just ready to move on.
08-23-2013 06:23 PM
RustonCAT Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte/Latech
One step ahead of who? FCS teams
08-23-2013 06:39 PM
Advertisement

UL ROTC Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: RAGIN CAJUNS
(08-23-2013 06:19 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Yes, it was a joke, but it is funny that the Cajuns think they are too good for the Sun Belt, but they have never won the conference outright in over 20 years of trying.

First of all every school is looking for perceived greener pastures that is why Southern is moving to the SBC. We don't feel we are better than anyone I for one enjoy our rivalries with the old SBC member and hope to start new ones with the new guys. As much SMACK as a team that has never been in SBC talk I hope we run the score up on you big time
08-23-2013 07:01 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(08-23-2013 06:39 PM)RustonCAT Wrote:  One step ahead of who? FCS teams

Ruston, here is reality. I know you don't represent State fans for the most part, so I will salute the Wolves on back-to back championships. Now if UL is slightly ahead of FCS programs, exactly where is ASU?

When it comes to athletic budget, money raised...donations, 26 Mil in Phase I facility improvements approved by the UL system this week to break ground after the season, season ticket sales and bowl tickets sales, ASU is behind the Cajuns today. You have 2 championships and 1 bowl win. Congrates!
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2013 07:47 PM by CrazyCajun.)
08-23-2013 07:35 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

(08-23-2013 07:01 PM)UL ROTC Wrote:  

First of all every school is looking for perceived greener pastures that is why Southern is moving to the SBC. We don't feel we are better than anyone I for one enjoy our rivalries with the old SBC member and hope to start new ones with the new guys. As much SMACK as a team that has never been in SBC talk I hope we run the score up on you big time

Looking forward to playing the Cajuns. For what it is worth, we are rarely blown out in games when running the flexbone. I don't see the Cajuns running the score up on us. In fact, I am predicting it now, Ga Southern will beat the Cajuns if we play in 2014.

You guys just don't understand how hard the flexbone is to defend when you have never faced it. See Navy putting 76 on ECU a couple of years ago.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2013 07:40 PM by GSU Eagles.)
08-23-2013 07:38 PM
Oldyeller Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
IMO: If the Cajuns are playing their best odds they will consider the opportunity they have. Being a big fish in a little pond was great for Georgia Southern while it lasted. The problem we had was that the pond was drying up. The FBS pond is not. It's getting more difficult to enter the league yes, but drying up no. Move "up" as you say is perception, not reality. Take care of business on the field and all is good. The Sun Belt commiss may be smarter than folks think. "IF and I say IF" Georgia Southern and Appy make a positive impact immediately all bets are off. Another big if is Georgia State and Texas State and South Alabama with all they're investing. If the Cajuns and the rest hold their own and continue with excellent play and we take care of business the future is bright for this conference. Our footprint "COULD NOT BE ANY BETTER". CUSA knows this and, as we have seen, will do just about anything to keep it from happening. Hopefully our members realize the opportunity and stop the jumping. We have an excellent opportunity going forward in this conference. JMHO.

I fully expect to crucified for such positive dribble. 07-coffee3
08-23-2013 07:48 PM
1st String

(08-23-2013 07:38 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  

Looking forward to playing the Cajuns. For what it is worth, we are rarely blown out in games when running the flexbone. I don't see the Cajuns running the score up on us. In fact, I am predicting it now, Ga Southern will beat the Cajuns if we play in 2014.

You guys just don't understand how hard the flexbone is to defend when you have never faced it. See Navy putting 76 on ECU a couple of years ago.

If the flexbone/triple option was so good why doesn't everyone run it?
08-23-2013 08:00 PM
Advertisement

Senatobia Offline
2nd String

I Root For: stAte
(08-23-2013 07:48 PM)Oldyeller Wrote:  IMO: If the Cajuns are playing their best odds they will consider the opportunity they have. Being a big fish in a little pond was great for Georgia Southern while it lasted. The problem we had was that the pond was drying up. The FBS pond is not. It's getting more difficult to enter the league yes, but drying up no. Move "up" as you say is perception, not reality. Take care of business on the field and all is good. The Sun Belt commiss may be smarter than folks think. "IF and I say IF" Georgia Southern and Appy make a positive impact immediately all bets are off. Another big if is Georgia State and Texas State and South Alabama with all they're investing. If the Cajuns and the rest hold their own and continue with excellent play and we take care of business the future is bright for this conference. Our footprint "COULD NOT BE ANY BETTER". CUSA knows this and, as we have seen, will do just about anything to keep it from happening. Hopefully our members realize the opportunity and stop the jumping. We have an excellent opportunity going forward in this conference. JMHO.

I can go along with the RahRah, but the part about Benson not being an idiot/fool/buffoon/moron/retard is just your mind playing tricks on you before the season starts.
08-23-2013 08:05 PM
Oldyeller Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
(08-23-2013 08:00 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  

That's a GREAT QUESTION! Personally I attribute our "lower level success" 6 national championships, eight appearances in the national championship, and I think four semi final appearances, not to mention quarter final appearances, in 30 years, to talent. It has nothing to do with the flexbone in my opinion. The record is amazing and half of it was achieved without the flexbone. Add the flexbone and you have something all together different. I damn good team with a "gimmicky" offense. Best of luck with it.
08-23-2013 08:09 PM
1st String

(08-23-2013 08:05 PM)Senatobia Wrote:  
(08-23-2013 07:48 PM)Oldyeller Wrote:  IMO: If the Cajuns are playing their best odds they will consider the opportunity they have. Being a big fish in a little pond was great for Georgia Southern while it lasted. The problem we had was that the pond was drying up. The FBS pond is not. It's getting more difficult to enter the league yes, but drying up no. Move "up" as you say is perception, not reality. Take care of business on the field and all is good. The Sun Belt commiss may be smarter than folks think. "IF and I say IF" Georgia Southern and Appy make a positive impact immediately all bets are off. Another big if is Georgia State and Texas State and South Alabama with all they're investing. If the Cajuns and the rest hold their own and continue with excellent play and we take care of business the future is bright for this conference. Our footprint "COULD NOT BE ANY BETTER". CUSA knows this and, as we have seen, will do just about anything to keep it from happening. Hopefully our members realize the opportunity and stop the jumping. We have an excellent opportunity going forward in this conference. JMHO.

I can go along with the RahRah, but the part about Benson not being an idiot/fool/buffoon/moron/retard is just your mind playing tricks on you before the season starts.

Please note that I said move on not up.
08-23-2013 08:21 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

(08-23-2013 08:00 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  

It is a good offense for a G5 conference. We can attract solid talent to make it work very well, but the downside of it is if you were in the SEC, it would hurt you in landing the 4 star recruits as they all have NFL dreams and the flexbone is not an NFL offense obviously. Navy attracts 2 star level recruits and is a very successful G5 program much better historically than any Sun Belt program.
08-23-2013 08:32 PM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(08-23-2013 07:35 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  

Ruston, here is reality. I know you don't represent State fans for the most part, so I will salute the Wolves on back-to back championships. Now if UL is slightly ahead of FCS programs, exactly where is ASU?

When it comes to athletic budget, money raised...donations, 26 Mil in Phase I facility improvements approved by the UL system this week to break ground after the season, season ticket sales and bowl tickets sales, ASU is behind the Cajuns today. You have 2 championships and 1 bowl win. Congrates!
I don't talk smack but ASU also has a $27m facility and new seating approved for groundbreaking in the spring of 2014. We have record season ticket sales and led the league in attendance last year and we sent more people to Mobile than any team in any conference. We may not be ahead but we are not behind anyone in the league either.
08-23-2013 08:35 PM
Advertisement

RustonCAT Offline
1st String

(08-23-2013 07:35 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  

you have 0 conference tittles and finished 2nd in attandance last season. Am I missing something here?
08-23-2013 08:58 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I don't really have any smack talk. Truth is though that Conference Realignment is a crap shoot. You can think something one day and the reverse the next. Fact is that CUSA chose ODU and Charlotte over Arkansas State and ULL. Charlotte should tell you that what we think...isn't what these conference people think. It just isn't. The AAC took Tulane which is a real head-scratcher. You don't know.

There is no guarantee Conference Realignment is going to heat up again at all. If it does heat up CUSA could take stAte/UL/USA/TXST or Georgia State. An actual case can be made for any of those depending on what CUSA wants at any moment, and nobody knows that. They even suggested at one point that NMSU was next up. Who knows. You could pimp and badmouth your own conference for a year and suddenly find that JMU and UMASS are your new CUSA members. Oops.

What we do know is that we have a conference home right now. We know that UL, stAte, USA, TXST are all pushing forward pretty hard. To badmouth our own conference while we are trying to push forward is simply insane. It damages your reputation, it damages your conference-mates reputation, it makes it harder for you and everybody else to move forward. It is just plain stupid.

We are currently in a perceived "pecking order". That makes members want to move up that pecking order and makes it unstable. The goal should be to break that perception. We almost did it before and it should be easier now due to the chaos if we execute.

There are a lot of people pimping their school. All that does is give your school a reputation as a desperate pimp and help continue the perceived pecking order. So stop. If you are as worthy as you say then you will be invited to another conference without embarrassing your school with pimping.

Don't start threads, "this is why everyone wants to go to CUSA". The primary reason schools want to go to CUSA is instability and worry about being the last school left holding a bag.

You also end up slamming each other and minimizing each others accomplishments. Frankly, we want EVERY member to push forward. We are building an indoor and end zone facility, UL is building stuff, TXST is building stuff, etc. THAT'S GOOD.

Don't burn your house down before you've bought a new one.

End of rant nobody will pay attention to.
08-23-2013 09:07 PM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
(08-23-2013 09:07 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  I don't really have any smack talk. Truth is though that Conference Realignment is a crap shoot. You can think something one day and the reverse the next. Fact is that CUSA chose ODU and Charlotte over Arkansas State and ULL. Charlotte should tell you that what we think...isn't what these conference people think. It just isn't. The AAC took Tulane which is a real head-scratcher. You don't know.

There is no guarantee Conference Realignment is going to heat up again at all. If it does heat up CUSA could take stAte/UL/USA/TXST or Georgia State. An actual case can be made for any of those depending on what CUSA wants at any moment, and nobody knows that. They even suggested at one point that NMSU was next up. Who knows. You could pimp and badmouth your own conference for a year and suddenly find that JMU and UMASS are your new CUSA members. Oops.

What we do know is that we have a conference home right now. We know that UL, stAte, USA, TXST are all pushing forward pretty hard. To badmouth our own conference while we are trying to push forward is simply insane. It damages your reputation, it damages your conference-mates reputation, it makes it harder for you and everybody else to move forward. It is just plain stupid.

We are currently in a perceived "pecking order". That makes members want to move up that pecking order and makes it unstable. The goal should be to break that perception. We almost did it before and it should be easier now due to the chaos if we execute.

There are a lot of people pimping their school. All that does is give your school a reputation as a desperate pimp and help continue the perceived pecking order. So stop. If you are as worthy as you say then you will be invited to another conference without embarrassing your school with pimping.

Don't start threads, "this is why everyone wants to go to CUSA". The primary reason schools want to go to CUSA is instability and worry about being the last school left holding a bag.

You also end up slamming each other and minimizing each others accomplishments. Frankly, we want EVERY member to push forward. We are building an indoor and end zone facility, UL is building stuff, TXST is building stuff, etc. THAT'S GOOD.

Don't burn your house down before you've bought a new one.

End of rant nobody will pay attention to.

Good post. I get tired of all the smack talk too and I fall in to the trap and reply. Also, ULM is currently finishing a Tailgate Terrace, which is going to have tailgating spots in one end zone inside the stadium. Spaces are $5000 a season and we've sold all but one. Also we are breaking ground on our end zone facility in December as well.
08-23-2013 09:49 PM
RustonCAT Offline
1st String

So Who isn't Growing?
08-23-2013 09:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.