Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC "towns" information
Bookmark and Share
FanInTexas Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Arkansas State
SBC "towns" information
I am planning to travel to many out of town games this year as I have in the past. I normally spend time trying to find a decent hotel that is close to the action (stadium, campus, restaurants, etc) but don't always make that happen. Let's see if we can get information about each of the SBC towns ( a few new ones ) in regards to hotels and "must do" things, and "must eat" places.

I have already begun looking for hotels in Monroe, Mobile, and Bowling Green. Since I haven't been to 2 of these towns in the past for Football, I need some help so I can book my rooms. Any help will be appreciated.

How about:

Hotels

> Budget
> Medium price
> Expensive

Thanks in advance for any information.
04-07-2013 08:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
RE: SBC "towns" information
For TROY....

Stay at Marriott Courtyard for expensive but the nicest hotel with a Bar and Restaurant..Normally runs about 120 bucks for normal games.

Hampton Inn is the 2nd most expensive usually about 100-110 bucks and is nice

Best Western is IMO the best bang for your buck. its new and nicer than the Hampton inn IMO. it sits a little farther out but come on now TROY is only so big....usually runs about 90 bucks

Food wise

You have every fast food joint you can think of.
Local places are Country's for BBQ or Hooks BBQ
The half Shell has good Seafood I hear.
and Sisters has good Southern foods
I also hear Bricks in downtown is very good has a bar too
Monarkas for mexican food is good. but nothing special.
Theres others around to thats chain resturants like Ruby Tuesdays and Sante Fe steak house (which is just like a Texas Road House)

Night life....well you better make the 35min drive North To Montgomery.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 09:00 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
04-07-2013 08:59 PM
Higher Education Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Legality
Everything you need for a trip to Statesboro is at http://www.visitstatesboroga.com
04-07-2013 09:11 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(04-07-2013 08:59 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  For TROY....

Stay at Marriott Courtyard for expensive but the nicest hotel with a Bar and Restaurant..Normally runs about 120 bucks for normal games.

Hampton Inn is the 2nd most expensive usually about 100-110 bucks and is nice

Best Western is IMO the best bang for your buck. its new and nicer than the Hampton inn IMO. it sits a little farther out but come on now TROY is only so big....usually runs about 90 bucks

Food wise

You have every fast food joint you can think of.
Local places are Country's for BBQ or Hooks BBQ
The half Shell has good Seafood I hear.
and Sisters has good Southern foods
I also hear Bricks in downtown is very good has a bar too
Monarkas for mexican food is good. but nothing special.
Theres others around to thats chain resturants like Ruby Tuesdays and Sante Fe steak house (which is just like a Texas Road House)

Night life....well you better make the 35min drive North To Montgomery.

Little Rock will be a nice place to visit. The only hotel close to campus, that is decent is the Clarion on University Avenue. Do not stay on Asher Avenue (on the south side of campus) unless you want to pay an hourly rate. You might want to stay downtown where you can walk or take the river trolley to the Clinton Presidential Library, Rivermarket, clubs, bars, restaurants. Peabody is supposely switching to a Marriott, but maybe the nicest hotel downtown. You also have the Capital, Marriott Courtyard, or Doubletree all on Markham/President Clinton Avenue. Don't want to get to far off that street, but the Hampton Inn downtown would be fine. I think they all have weekend rates. Probably a little pricey on weeknights, but reasonable compared to downtowns in big cities.
04-07-2013 09:17 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(04-07-2013 09:11 PM)Higher Education Wrote:  Everything you need for a trip to Statesboro is at http://www.visitstatesboroga.com

Savannah is consistently ranked as a top 20 travel destination In North America. Statesboro would be a fun college town to visit similar to Auburn with 5,000 fewer students.
04-07-2013 09:38 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(04-07-2013 09:11 PM)Higher Education Wrote:  Everything you need for a trip to Statesboro is at http://www.visitstatesboroga.com

I would think we'd like some personal input and recommendations. Most of us could find a "tourist bureau" site.
04-07-2013 09:51 PM
Advertisement

BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(04-07-2013 08:38 PM)FanInTexas Wrote:  I am planning to travel to many out of town games this year as I have in the past. I normally spend time trying to find a decent hotel that is close to the action (stadium, campus, restaurants, etc) but don't always make that happen. Let's see if we can get information about each of the SBC towns ( a few new ones ) in regards to hotels and "must do" things, and "must eat" places.

I have already begun looking for hotels in Monroe, Mobile, and Bowling Green. Since I haven't been to 2 of these towns in the past for Football, I need some help so I can book my rooms. Any help will be appreciated.

How about:

Hotels

> Budget
> Medium price
> Expensive

Battle House Hotel
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mo...nce-hotel/

~ $160 a night. Stay there. Very nice, historic site, great location in downtown near the bay, and near plenty of restaurants and bars and coffee shops and art and boutiques. A few miles from the stadium. You'll have to drive to the stadium; Battle House may offer a shuttle, not sure.

Tons of eateries around the area, and plenty of good seafood restaurants either downtown or a short drive off of the Causeway. Causeway restaurants have beautiful scenery, and some great outdoor seating overlooking Mobile Bay.

Wintzell's Original Oyster House
Felix's
Bluegill

Prob my top 3 seafood places near downtown/causeway. Bluegill because of the great deck area.

U.S.S Alabama battleship is fun to visit if you never have. Short drive away from the Battle House on the Causeway.

Historic Fort Conde is also a short walk from the Battle House. Museum of Mobile and Exploreum also right next door.

Campus is a good 14 miles away, but has lots of nice new buildings if you wanted to check out a fellow campus.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 09:56 PM by BLEEDITRED.)
04-07-2013 09:53 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

Troy's Top 5 Hotels

1. Marriott Courtyard
2. Hampton Inn
3. Best Western
4. Super 8
5. Quality Inn

Troy's Top 5 Restaurants

1. The Half Shell Oyster Bar & Grill
2. Hook's BBQ
3. Santa Fe Cattle Co.
4. Sister's Restaurant
5. Country's BBQ
* If you're interested in history, go to the Mossy Grove Schoolhouse Restaurant. It was an old schoolhouse during the 1800's.
* If you're interested in Mexican food, go to Monarca's Restaurant.
04-07-2013 09:59 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
When you come to Bowling Green do like I do when I visit Jonesboro...

stay in the closest larger city. I stay in Memphis and drive over and if I was you I would stay in Nashville and make the 45-50 minute drive. It's on you way to and from so why not take advantage of Nashville.

We always make a weekend on all of our trips with 2 days in a large city then gameday and night in the SBC city. The only city we don't is at FIU
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 10:03 PM by WKUYG.)
04-07-2013 09:59 PM
Higher Education Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Legality
(04-07-2013 09:51 PM)CatMom Wrote:  

I would think we'd like some personal input and recommendations. Most of us could find a "tourist bureau" site.

It's actually a pretty informative and individualized visitors bureau. I think tthey're working on some special Sun Belt visiting team promotions and such for the coming years.
04-07-2013 10:01 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-07-2013 09:59 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Troy's Top 5 Hotels

1. Marriott Courtyard
2. Hampton Inn
3. Best Western
4. Super 8
5. Quality Inn

Troy's Top 5 Restaurants

1. The Half Shell Oyster Bar & Grill
2. Hook's BBQ
3. Santa Fe Cattle Co.
4. Sister's Restaurant
5. Country's BBQ
* If you're interested in history, go to the Mossy Grove Schoolhouse Restaurant. It was an old schoolhouse during the 1800's.
* If you're interested in Mexican food, go to Monarca's Restaurant.

[Image: tumblr_m8pz02rOWv1qh8wol.gif]
04-07-2013 10:07 PM
Advertisement

troy4ever21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Troy & SBC
I have the agree. The Super 8 in Troy is nasty. Unless it has changed since 2008.

Don't bother staying in Troy. Just stay in Dothan/Montgomery and drive to the game the morning of. There's no way you'll get into any restaurants after a game and there's nothing to see or do (other than the university).
04-07-2013 10:12 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-07-2013 10:12 PM)troy4ever21 Wrote:  I have the agree. The Super 8 in Troy is nasty. Unless it has changed since 2008.

Don't bother staying in Troy. Just stay in Dothan/Montgomery and drive to the game the morning of. There's no way you'll get into any restaurants after a game and there's nothing to see or do (other than the university).

03-lmfao

It hasnt...I had to stay there a couple weeks ago cause the 3 best hotels were sold out...IT WAS NASTY!!! I was so scared I was going to get HIV or something. The TV kept turning off and back on every few mins. and the Air conditioner and heater would go in and out. Smelt sooo bad and there was HAIR IN MY SHEETS!!!!...Next time ill just sleep in my car or ill just make the 35min drive from Montgomery geez.....Can some one bulldoze it please.

Why cant we get more hotels in Troy. Its ridiculous that all the Hotels I would even consider are already sold out for games in October...Enterprise has better hotel options. Its crazy.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 10:19 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
04-07-2013 10:16 PM
trueblue21 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS and TAMU
Ill let someone else list hotels in Statesboro. But besides the boring food chain restaurants that you can find anywhere, we have a number of good local restaurants and bars. We have a number of bars pretty much on campus(you can walk to them anywhere on campus in less then 10 mins). We have the Plaza(5 bars) where before the game you can get bar food and watch other games. GATAs and Van Goghs are beside each other on Lanier Drive which would be a good place to go for anyone over 30 (the Plaza gets crazy sometimes).
Then you have Gnats on the other side of campus that you would want to drive to, they have some of the best bar food anywhere.
Downtown is growing if you want nicer, expensive, quality food go there. My two favorites are 40 East Grill and South & Vine Public House. Plus our new microbrewery is opening up this summer.
Statesboro is fun, nice people who like to drink. Im looking forward to some Sun Belt fans coming in with more then 150 fans next fall.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 10:59 PM by trueblue21.)
04-07-2013 10:24 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-07-2013 10:24 PM)trueblue21 Wrote:  Ill let someone else list hotels in Statesboro. But besides the boring food chain restaurants where you can find anywhere, we have a number of good local restaurants and bars. We have a number of bars pretty much on campus(you can walk to them anywhere on campus in less then 10 mins). We have the Plaza(5 bars) where before the game you can get bar food and watch other games. GATAs and Van Goghs are beside each other on Lanier Drive which would be a good place to go for anyone over 30 (the Plaza gets crazy sometimes).
Then you have Gnats on the other side of campus that you would want to drive to, they have some of the best bar food anywhere.
Downtown is growing if you want nicer, expensive, quality food go there. My two favorites are 40 East Grill and South & Vine Public House. Plus our new microbrewery is opening up this summer.
Statesboro is fun, nice people who like to drink. Im looking forward to some Sun Belt fans coming in with more then 150 fans next fall.

Try about 5k TROY fans at minimum....I wouldnt be shocked to see more...SOO many alumni in Georgia.
04-07-2013 10:27 PM
trueblue21 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS and TAMU
(04-07-2013 10:27 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  
(04-07-2013 10:24 PM)trueblue21 Wrote:  Ill let someone else list hotels in Statesboro. But besides the boring food chain restaurants where you can find anywhere, we have a number of good local restaurants and bars. We have a number of bars pretty much on campus(you can walk to them anywhere on campus in less then 10 mins). We have the Plaza(5 bars) where before the game you can get bar food and watch other games. GATAs and Van Goghs are beside each other on Lanier Drive which would be a good place to go for anyone over 30 (the Plaza gets crazy sometimes).

Try about 5k TROY fans at minimum....I wouldnt be shocked to see more...SOO many alumni in Georgia.

Thats what Im talking about. I will definitely be in Troy the first time Southern comes to town. Ill be bringing about 7 being from Albany and Moultrie. Im looking forward to the rivalry our two universities will build.
04-07-2013 11:20 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(04-07-2013 10:12 PM)troy4ever21 Wrote:  I have the agree. The Super 8 in Troy is nasty. Unless it has changed since 2008.

If anyone makes the Troy trip try to make it a weekend trip and stay in PCB especially if it's late Sept thru Nov. It's a 2 to 2.5 hour drive and you can get a decent beach side room that opens to the ocean for less than $75

That time of year it's never busy and so relaxing
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 11:30 PM by WKUYG.)
04-07-2013 11:28 PM
Walter Sobchak Offline
Banned

I Root For: Ga Southern
(04-07-2013 10:12 PM)troy4ever21 Wrote:  I have the agree. The Super 8 in Troy is nasty.
I am shocked.
04-07-2013 11:29 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(04-07-2013 09:53 PM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  
(04-07-2013 08:38 PM)FanInTexas Wrote:  I am planning to travel to many out of town games this year as I have in the past. I normally spend time trying to find a decent hotel that is close to the action (stadium, campus, restaurants, etc) but don't always make that happen. Let's see if we can get information about each of the SBC towns ( a few new ones ) in regards to hotels and "must do" things, and "must eat" places.

How about:

Hotels

> Budget
> Medium price
> Expensive

Battle House Hotel
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mo...nce-hotel/

~ $160 a night. Stay there. Very nice, historic site, great location in downtown near the bay, and near plenty of restaurants and bars and coffee shops and art and boutiques. A few miles from the stadium. You'll have to drive to the stadium; Battle House may offer a shuttle, not sure.

Tons of eateries around the area, and plenty of good seafood restaurants either downtown or a short drive off of the Causeway. Causeway restaurants have beautiful scenery, and some great outdoor seating overlooking Mobile Bay.

Wintzell's Original Oyster House
Felix's
Bluegill

Prob my top 3 seafood places near downtown/causeway. Bluegill because of the great deck area.

U.S.S Alabama battleship is fun to visit if you never have. Short drive away from the Battle House on the Causeway.

Historic Fort Conde is also a short walk from the Battle House. Museum of Mobile and Exploreum also right next door.

Campus is a good 14 miles away, but has lots of nice new buildings if you wanted to check out a fellow campus.

Stayed at the Battle House in 2010 and loved it. Caveat: it's USA's team hotel. Ackward. LOL. Very nice folks.

By the way, if you are going to do away game traveling and do a few non athetics related trips a year, loyalty clubs for airlines, hotel chains and car rentals is the way to go. Stayed at the Battle House for free in one of their better rooms. Points!
04-08-2013 07:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buzz Lightyear Lite Offline
Special Teams

(04-07-2013 10:16 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  

03-lmfao

It hasnt...I had to stay there a couple weeks ago cause the 3 best hotels were sold out...IT WAS NASTY!!! I was so scared I was going to get HIV or something. The TV kept turning off and back on every few mins. and the Air conditioner and heater would go in and out. Smelt sooo bad and there was HAIR IN MY SHEETS!!!!...Next time ill just sleep in my car or ill just make the 35min drive from Montgomery geez.....Can some one bulldoze it please.

Why cant we get more hotels in Troy. Its ridiculous that all the Hotels I would even consider are already sold out for games in October...Enterprise has better hotel options. Its crazy.

If for some reason that folks would be coming from the South that would be highway 231 it is 30 miles but really nice and I mean NICE Hampton and Microtel can be found just North of Ozark Alabama......yes it is 30 minutes but they have an Applebees and a couple other decent restaurants....so easier to get to and closer than Montgomery.....I know a few of you may say Microtel?? yes it is REALLY nice.......best I have ever seen.
04-08-2013 07:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.