UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

National anthem
dragonbreath Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
National anthem
Why do some teams run into the locker room prior to the national anthem while some remain on court? I think it's disrespect able. UAB ran in while Memphis remained on court.
01-13-2013 01:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

RE: National anthem
It is a timing thing sometimes.

I don't believe UAB knew when the national anthem was going to be played.

It is also disrespectful to play with your shoes while the anthem is being played.

Of course, I don't believe people should wear their hats during the anthem, unless you are in the military.
01-13-2013 01:08 PM
dragonbreath Offline
All American

BlazerTalk Award
They saw the flag corp coming on court and left. And ran by Memphis who were already lined up.
01-13-2013 01:12 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I didn't notice.
01-13-2013 01:13 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

I noticed!

It was the beginning of one embarrassing moment after another.

It really looks bad when Memphis shows more class than UAB.

Whether UAB knew when the national anthem was to be played or not, our team should have been on the court showing its respect. No excuses!

Embarrassing!
01-13-2013 01:36 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I have no problems with it. They are preparing for a game.

When you think about it, why do they even play the national anthem before every single game. The anthem should be played before more important events than sporting events I think it cheapens it and has nothing to do with sports. But it is tradition and no one wants to be the first to stop.
01-13-2013 02:06 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I haven't attended a ton of games over the last few years, but in the past the teams went to the back prior to the national anthem in regular games.

During tv games, a lot of times the national anthem is played prior to the team intros.

Here it was played with about 10 minutes before tip off.
01-13-2013 02:08 PM
WingsCrew Offline
Bench Warmer

For every other home game the team has been on the court for the National Anthem, this must have been timing and maybe coach need to talk more?
01-13-2013 02:37 PM
WhoDatBlazer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: the playoffs !!
for TV games, we play the Anthem @ 12:00 before tip-off. Always. Both teams are provided a sheet denoting all times for pre-game activities (warm-ups, clear court, anthem). Somebody on the UAB coaching staff dropped the ball. Haase is NOT on the court at that time.
01-13-2013 02:45 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I would rather the coach take care of pre game business than stand there for the national anthem.
01-13-2013 02:47 PM
WhoDatBlazer Offline
2nd String

During that time, Haase is doing the pre-game "Chalk Talk" with the $$$ folks in the G&G Room.
01-13-2013 02:49 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Well then it is disrespectful for the $$$ people to not be out there for the national anthem too. If we are going to have the national anthem, all activity should stop in the building. Concession stands should cease sales. Bathrooms closed. Respect must be shown. It applies to everyone. Not just the team.
01-13-2013 02:52 PM
WhoDatBlazer Offline
2nd String

now you're just being snarky. (shock!) while ideally, you are probably correct, the reality is that the presentation of the colors and the anthem is only taking place inside the seating area. This is where the attention should be made. in your scenario, everyone at the urinals must cease their flow until "the home of the Brave."
01-13-2013 03:01 PM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(01-13-2013 02:52 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Well then it is disrespectful for the $$$ people to not be out there for the national anthem too. If we are going to have the national anthem, all activity should stop in the building. Concession stands should cease sales. Bathrooms closed. Respect must be shown. It applies to everyone. Not just the team.

That's not true. I've seen every one of Coach's Chalk Talks and I've been in the stands for every playing of the National Anthem this season.

Memphis lined up, because they got "caught" unaware and were still on the court when the flags lined up. Didn't anyone notice they were on the wrong end of the court (opposite their bench)?

I have no opinion one way or the other on teams being on the court or in the locker room during the National Anthem...but if they are still preparing for the game at that time, the team has bigger problems.

My main gripe with the National Anthem at UAB games is the horrendous arrangement Dr. Samuel utilizes.

Question: How do you propose closing the bathrooms? Send the White Coat Brigade in to drag folks out of stalls? Just curious...
01-13-2013 03:03 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I guess I'm the only one who likes our arrangement of the Star Spangled Banner. 03-lol
01-13-2013 03:05 PM
BandGrad Offline
Heisman

No Smaug, I've said for a few years that our band plays the best version of our National Anthem in college athletics. BTW, I really wish our gang green guys would not scream "and the home of the Blazers" at the end of the anthem. That's one piece of music no one should EVER screw with.
01-13-2013 03:26 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(01-13-2013 03:26 PM)BandGrad Wrote:  No Smaug, I've said for a few years that our band plays the best version of our National Anthem in college athletics. BTW, I really wish our gang green guys would not scream "and the home of the Blazers" at the end of the anthem. That's one piece of music no one should EVER screw with.

That's the respect everyone is complaining about.

It is a ritual that has no place in sports.
01-13-2013 03:27 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(01-13-2013 03:03 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  My main gripe with the National Anthem at UAB games is the horrendous arrangement Dr. Samuel utilizes.

You are insane. 01-wingedeagle
01-13-2013 03:31 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
National anthem
When I sing the national anthem, everyone knows it.
01-13-2013 03:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonbreath Offline
All American

BlazerTalk Award
Bottom line it is about class. Sign of the times like everything else. I've seen news reporters stop during broadcasts and pause for it. That's class. But to each their own.
01-13-2013 04:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.