And takes Rutgers and Maryland as the rumors say and then ACC takes UConn
The new Big East would look like this
Football 12 teams
EAST
Navy,Temple,USF,UCF,Louisville,Cincinnati
WEST
Memphis,SMU,Houston,Boise,SDSU and one from BYU,AF or Fresno

Basketball would be 15 schools
Temple,USF,UCF,UL,UC,Memphis,UH,SMU,SH,Providence,SJ,Georgetown,Nova,Marquette,DePaul

If the ACC instead goes for the Navy/ Georgetown combo as has been suggested, then football replaces Navy with UConn and basketball remains at 15 with UConn replacing Georgetown.

This assumes that
#1. Big12 doesn't make a move right now
#2. Football stays at 12 instead of 14
11-18-2012 10:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
RE: If Big Ten expands
BC continues to block UConn, a UConn that is a shell of its former self in football and whose men's basketball is facing serious APR issues. If the ACC went after anyone, it would be Louisville.
11-18-2012 10:11 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(11-18-2012 10:04 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  And takes Rutgers and Maryland as the rumors say and then ACC takes UConn
The new Big East would look like this
Football 12 teams
EAST
Navy,Temple,USF,UCF,Louisville,Cincinnati
WEST
Memphis,SMU,Houston,Boise,SDSU and one from BYU,AF or Fresno

Basketball would be 15 schools
Temple,USF,UCF,UL,UC,Memphis,UH,SMU,SH,Providence,SJ,Georgetown,Nova,Marquette,DePaul

If the ACC instead goes for the Navy/ Georgetown combo as has been suggested, then football replaces Navy with UConn and basketball remains at 15 with UConn replacing Georgetown.

This assumes that
#1. Big12 doesn't make a move right now
#2. Football stays at 12 instead of 14

When did the Navy/GTown rumor start?
11-18-2012 10:12 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I think they have to go 14 from a perspective of Navy can't be aboard in 2014, and I think they have to be at 12 in 2014 for the football title game. So, I think you see ECU come in for all sports and then there are 2 west schools that join instead of just 1.
11-18-2012 10:12 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Way too much is up in the air at this point. I am not even sure Maryland moves at this point. I still think the Big East needs to look at UMass and ECU. Pick up a basketball school or too along the way as well. Dayton
11-18-2012 10:13 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
No need to add basketball onlies, since tats not where the money lies. Keep it at 15 and you can have home/away with some of the big TV draws.
As for going to 14 because Navy doesn't join until 2015, remember that if the ACC gets with the Navy/ Gtown combo then you have the 12 to have championship game and if UConn is chosen then you could have a 10 football team league for one year.

Many things are up in air, but the Big East will survive in some form and still be the sixth best option
11-18-2012 10:20 AM
Advertisement

IceJus10 Offline
All American

If the Big East loses Navy/Georgetown, then expect a major northeast basketball program (or two) from the A-10 to be invited... The Big East is not going to let basketball get weaker... As important as football is, Big East basketball is where their reputation comes from...
11-18-2012 10:31 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(11-18-2012 10:11 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  BC continues to block UConn, a UConn that is a shell of its former self in football and whose men's basketball is facing serious APR issues. If the ACC went after anyone, it would be Louisville.

Louisville won't be joining The ACC any time soon. UConn better fit for ACC then UofL. If Louisville goes anywhere it will be to The Big 12. The reality is however The Big 12 isn't expanding.
CJ
11-18-2012 10:33 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(11-18-2012 10:20 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  No need to add basketball onlies, since tats not where the money lies. Keep it at 15 and you can have home/away with some of the big TV draws.
As for going to 14 because Navy doesn't join until 2015, remember that if the ACC gets with the Navy/ Gtown combo then you have the 12 to have championship game and if UConn is chosen then you could have a 10 football team league for one year.

Many things are up in air, but the Big East will survive in some form and still be the sixth best option

The part of our product that is our most valuable has been our BBall tourny. We are not like other conferences. More TV partners want our BBall more than our FB so we need a strong BBall product to help boost the FB side.
11-18-2012 10:34 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(11-18-2012 10:33 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(11-18-2012 10:11 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  BC continues to block UConn, a UConn that is a shell of its former self in football and whose men's basketball is facing serious APR issues. If the ACC went after anyone, it would be Louisville.

Louisville won't be joining The ACC any time soon. UConn better fit for ACC then UofL. If Louisville goes anywhere it will be to The Big 12. The reality is however The Big 12 isn't expanding.
CJ

I agree CJ, but that could change down the line. Either way UL has set up itself to be in that move whenever it happens. I applaud your administration and fans for what they have accomplished so far.
All of the Big East programs need to follow UL example
11-18-2012 10:37 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-18-2012 10:20 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  No need to add basketball onlies, since tats not where the money lies. Keep it at 15 and you can have home/away with some of the big TV draws.

Except BE would lose a lot of money if the title game isn't played for one year. That's not an option.
11-18-2012 10:37 AM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(11-18-2012 10:34 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

The part of our product that is our most valuable has been our BBall tourny. We are not like other conferences. More TV partners want our BBall more than our FB so we need a strong BBall product to help boost the FB side.

With the losses that I posted basketball would be an to 15, so there would be room for 1-3 nonfootball additions to strengthen basketball of needed
11-18-2012 10:38 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(11-18-2012 10:37 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

Except BE would lose a lot of money if the title game isn't played for one year. That's not an option.

Don't fool yourself a championship game lost for one year would not be a huge revenue loss. We are not getting 5-10 million for it. At most expect 1-2 million. Divide that by 12 or 14 mouths and you get my point.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 10:40 AM by Cubanbull.)
11-18-2012 10:40 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-18-2012 10:40 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  

Don't fool yourself a championship game lost for one year would not be a huge revenue loss. We are not getting 5-10 million for it. At most expect 1-2 million. Divide that by 12 or 14 mouths and you get my point.

I think it's a bit more than that. it's also the volume...
10 teams playing 8 games- 40 conference games
12 teams playing 8 games- 48 conference games+1

huge difference there.
11-18-2012 10:43 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(11-18-2012 10:43 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-18-2012 10:40 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  

I think it's a bit more than that. it's also the volume...
10 teams playing 8 games- 40 conference games
12 teams playing 8 games- 48 conference games+1

huge difference there.

Easily solved by playing 9 conference games that one year and everyone plays each other like the Big 12 does.

My point is that if there are 14 teams that will add value then we will move that way, but to say we need to go 14 so that we can hold a championship for a year that doesn't make sense
11-18-2012 10:48 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I don't see the schools going to 9 conference games for a year even.

I think given that ECU is having a BOT meeting, we know the way it's leaning. This could be if Navy leaves as well quite frankly, get ECU and a western in for 2014 season.....
11-18-2012 10:51 AM
Advertisement

Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
personally all this expansion stinks, its all aboutv the big wanting to stay strong, they feel threatened by the acc, dont know why.

if maryland an rutgers go the big east is in big trouble, because swofford will definately grab uconn, bc has n ot led up to expectations. this opens up a fierce rival w/ bc an uconn. the uconn pres an ad are both bc alumnus an they working behind the scenes to get bc to accept uconn.

i want the big east to stay as it is its a gooid solid league, that will prosper an the big acc know this, that why they want to destroy it.

next week you will here that uconn is acc bound if maryland leaves
11-18-2012 11:04 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(11-18-2012 10:51 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I don't see the schools going to 9 conference games for a year even.

I think given that ECU is having a BOT meeting, we know the way it's leaning. This could be if Navy leaves as well quite frankly, get ECU and a western in for 2014 season.....

ECU will NOT be added to replace a major market program. Their warts are even more prevalent now.
Football expansion would take a notable westward turn with the next addition(s). There is still a lot of territory to bridge with better "name" schools than the rural, directional, poor academics, ECU. Remember, Presidents will be making this decision. The only conference to compete with out west is the Pac 12.
The only real school that may have their hat in the ring in the East is UMASS. Basketball-onlys may enter the equation.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 11:21 AM by BigEastHomer.)
11-18-2012 11:17 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(11-18-2012 10:33 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

CJ

I think that the Big 12 will end up expanding as a result of this. If the Pac-12 is at 12, the Big Ten, ACC and SEC are at 14, CUSA, MAC and Big East all at or above 12 will necessitate it just to keep up with the Joneses. Louisville is a lock for one spot and in all likelihood Cincinnati gets the other spot.
11-18-2012 11:24 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-18-2012 11:17 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(11-18-2012 10:51 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I don't see the schools going to 9 conference games for a year even.

ECU will NOT be added to replace a major market program. Their warts are even more prevalent now.
Football expansion would take a notable westward turn with the next addition(s). There is still a lot of territory to bridge with better "name" schools than the rural, directional, poor academics, ECU. Remember, Presidents will be making this decision. The only conference to compete with out west is the Pac 12.
The only real school that may have their hat in the ring in the East is UMASS. Basketball-onlys may enter the equation.

We'll see. a lot of it is football power, and ECU DWARFS UMass right now... Big East needs to be most concerned with being able to capture the BCS spot yearly. ECU helps that. UMass doesn't.
11-18-2012 11:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.