Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ETSU to a new conference? (rumor)
Bookmark and Share
slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: etsu
ETSU to a new conference? (rumor)
dude in charge is on it. he will have us out of this conference within a year or so, and that will cure alot of the ills. the athletics administration will turn over via retirement shortly thereafter and etsu will be restored to its "full glory". then...will come the football question. can we afford it? if the numbers do not support it, it will not happen. and when i say numbers, i dont mean just money. to rods point (and then to the contrary), had basketball taken off, football would be an afterthought now. murray deserves a thank you. now to the contrary, to bring football back without athletics momentum (and all that comes with that momentum) would be a collossal mistake and doom it to fail. does not matter that every other state institution is doing it (and losing at it).
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2012 12:51 PM by ETSUfan1.)
03-19-2012 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
RE: Scoring Big With New Football Teams
There isn't a conference that wants ETSU. Our curb appeal stinks, pure and simple. One bid leagues are not going to look at ETSU without football, why add an additional program into a conference that only gets one bid, all that does is make it tougher to get to the NCAA Tournament on the current members of a new conference.
Unless of course we drop to Division II, and so help me if that goes down I will never give a dime to ETSU for anything, ever.
03-19-2012 10:52 AM
slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

easy lover...etsu will be out of this conference very soon and not by moving down a level....
03-19-2012 10:56 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
(03-19-2012 10:56 AM)slappywhite Wrote:  easy lover...etsu will be out of this conference very soon and not by moving down a level....

Do you know something we don't know? Or are you just being an optimist?
03-19-2012 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I heard that when we left the SoCon. C-USA here we come! Then C-USA laughed in our faces. I'll believe it when I see it.
03-19-2012 11:04 AM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops
(03-19-2012 10:56 AM)slappywhite Wrote:  easy lover...etsu will be out of this conference very soon and not by moving down a level....

I hope you are correct. But if it's not the CAA, C-USA, A-10 or the like, then I personally won't be that overjoyed.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2012 11:15 AM by etsuBucsFan1988.)
03-19-2012 11:14 AM
Advertisement

BucPerson Offline
2nd String

(03-19-2012 11:14 AM)etsuBucsFan1988 Wrote:  

I hope you are correct. But if it's not the CAA, C-USA, A-10 or the like, then I personally won't be that overjoyed.

Agree 100%
03-19-2012 11:23 AM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Slappy I have heard this same thing today at work from other people. I am bolstered and happy to learn that at least Dr. Noland is seriously taking a look at the athletic affiliation. He seems to have a lot of connections and I believe he can make it happen. I just want him to know that there are fans that will support him and want to help. I think a realignment and re-structering of the athletic program would be the shot in the arm we have been needing for a few years now. Hope...
03-19-2012 12:02 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I hope he can but as far as the CAA/A-10 go, come on guys. It's just not realistic. I wish it were, but what does ETSU have in common with the members of the A-10 or CAA?
I hope you guys are right, I hope Dr. Noland is looking hard into athletics, but conference affiliation will be a huge challenge to change without football, we've seen that already (Belmont excluded).
03-19-2012 01:12 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
Oh you'd be surprised at what it could do. I've seen it first hand at Cincinnati.

[/quote]

You all aren't going to like this so you may want to stop reading now. I was told yesterday that Dr. Noland is very bottom-line and data driven when it comes to making decisions. If that is true I would not call his attention to Cincinnati's athletics program. Although they increased institutional support by 114% from fiscal year 2004-2005 to fiscal year 2009-2010 (adjusted for inflation $6,300,000 to $13,400,000) Cinci's athletic program lost money all 6 years. Although it only lost $855,000 in FY 2008-2009. it lost $2,500,000 in 2009-2010, $4,000,000 in 2007-2008, $5,700,000 in 2006-2007, $6,700,000 in 2005-2006 and $4,100,000 in 2004-2005. These numbers are rounded down and not adjusted for inflation. There are a number of reasons to bring football back, but comparisons to other programs should be carefully done. Given the state's financial situation a significant increase in cost of any program will be a big red flag. I'd likewise caution about bringing App St up very often. Student fees and institutional support accounted for about 75% of its athletic income from 2004-2005 to 2009-2010, but the ASU athletic program had an income-expense negative each year except 2005-2006 when it had the magnificant surplus of $67,623. The average deficit for the other 5 fiscal years was $350,000 per year. These are self-report data from the USA Today website on college athletic finances. Support from student fees and the university at ETSU is also about 75% of the athletic income, but the program hasn't run a deficit. There are many good arguments for bringing back football, but the financial impact will always be a significant part of the discussion. However you work it out football at a school like ETSU will add more additional costs than it generates in revenue and the higher you try to rise in terms of conference the more it will cost. Florida International is an example. Since moving to the Sunbelt Conference it has had an operating deficit 3 of 5 years.
[/quote]

In looking at the USA Today data for 2009-10, I see that 55% of App State's revenue came from student fees and institutional support. Their deficit for that year (revenue/expenses) was some $320,000.00. Could their deficit have been bills that were carried into the next accounting year awaiting payment out of the next budget (accounting maneuver)? Regardless, at some point they had to pay them, unless they took out a loan (doubt the state of NC would allow that). ETSU, for 2009-10, showed 77% of its revenue from student fees and institutional support, and with a surplus of some $573,000.00. Of that amount, it can be assumed that there were still bills to be paid and they carried the money forward into the next accounting cycle. Otherwise, where's that money (maybe in a secret new basketball arena account in the Caymans)? App State raised 17.2% of its revenue from direct ticket sales while ETSU raised 2.5%.

Bottom line. If you're going to play NCAA Division I Mid-Major athletics, you're gonna have to generously subsidize your athletic program. Are you going to have a sports program with a team line up that has the best chance of generating as much external revenue as possible to help offset the large subsidies or not? If you are, you better start with football at the top of your team list.
03-19-2012 02:24 PM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline

If all that happens then I will be the first to say bye bye and thank you.
03-19-2012 05:06 PM
Advertisement

slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

it will be a "better" conference for etsu and it will be, at the time, without football...
03-19-2012 05:17 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Ive got some ocean front property in arizona... Buy it slappy and ah what the helk ill tgrow in the golden gate in free...
03-19-2012 09:19 PM
slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

(03-19-2012 09:19 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Ive got some ocean front property in arizona... Buy it slappy and ah what the helk ill tgrow in the golden gate in free...

lover...you doubting me? this one is a done deal...
03-20-2012 07:49 AM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

When?
03-20-2012 07:52 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

Please don't say it's the Big South because I'm sorry the Big South is no better than A-Sun in my opinion. Better travel I guess but that's it.
03-20-2012 08:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

etsuBucsFan1988 Offline

(03-19-2012 05:17 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  it will be a "better" conference for etsu and it will be, at the time, without football...

People define "better" differently, so I am reserving judgment. But, if it's a done deal, then shouldn't we see an official announcement very soon?
03-20-2012 09:21 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Nothing is ever done until the ink is dry on the contract and the photo ops are taken. Plus, taking the word of a poster on a message board is iffy at best. Youre not Chris Mortensen.
03-20-2012 10:22 AM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

I don't think this scenario is going to happen, but I keep hearing the CAA is in the mix...so I'll throw it out there.

Temple leaving the A10 for the Big East opens a spot in the A10. The A10 then pulls ODU, VCU or Hofstra from the CAA. Would the CAA consider ETSU, if that were to happen?
03-20-2012 10:30 AM
slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

(03-20-2012 10:22 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Nothing is ever done until the ink is dry on the contract and the photo ops are taken. Plus, taking the word of a poster on a message board is iffy at best. Youre not Chris Mortensen.

care to wager?
03-20-2012 10:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.