Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Tommy West
Bookmark and Share
mewes Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
Tommy West
Am I the only one that feels that tommy's job really depends on next years results, i think the admin is really putting pressure on him to win because R.C. wants to get into the big east and we need football to do a little better to get both in.
05-20-2008 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dak10 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ron Paul
RE: Tommy West
mewes Wrote:Am I the only one that feels that tommy's job really depends on next years results, i think the admin is really putting pressure on him to win because R.C. wants to get into the big east and we need football to do a little better to get both in.

rofl It should, but it won't. Most people would take a bullet for TW. He has taken our program to new heights. Our talent is worse than it was, but we sure are going to a bunch of mediocre bowls!
05-20-2008 08:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
yes, you are.
05-20-2008 08:16 PM
Dak10 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ron Paul
See, I told you so. Most people around here are somehow as blind and narrow minded as the poster above me.
05-20-2008 08:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
memp600 Offline
Just grinding...

I don't know about pressure from the admin, but I agree, we need football to do better this year. Like not losing to sun belt teams. I think it will all come down to how Hall plays at QB. If he does well then we should have a nice year b/c the defense has to improve from it was last year, which was down right horrible.
05-20-2008 08:20 PM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

Dak10 Wrote:See, I told you so. Most people around here are somehow as blind and narrow minded as the poster above me.

You're right on. Tommy has ridden DeAngelo's coattails and benefitted from being the first Memphis coach to be in a conference with a bunch of bowl affiliations. Those 3 6-5 seasons Stobart had, he probably would've won C-USA or at least been close and had like a 9-2 or 8-3 record
05-20-2008 08:33 PM
Advertisement

Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

It would take a pretty bad season to do him in, but it could happen.
05-20-2008 08:35 PM
WaywardMemphian Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hogs
One more loss to ASU should do it.
05-20-2008 08:38 PM
Herff Tiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: T-I-G-E-R-S
mewes Wrote:Am I the only one that feels that tommy's job really depends on next years results, i think the admin is really putting pressure on him to win because R.C. wants to get into the big east and we need football to do a little better to get both in.

No, there are several. And there are several of us who hope it doesn't because we have noticed the toll injuries have taken, not to mention his heart surgery, then some assistant coaches not working out and some good ones moving on to better things. Some of us just like Coach West or are just leery of coaching changes. Since 1972, Pancoast 3 yrs, Williamson 6 yrs, Dockery 3 yrs, Dempsey 2 yrs, Bailey 3 yrs, Stobart 6 yrs, Scherer 6 yrs, and now West is starting his 8th.

Of course, you can say what good is stability if it is stably underperforming. You can look what Tommy Bowden did at Tulane, June Jones at Hawaii, Urban Meyer at Utah, Dennis Franchione at TCU, and other such turnaround artists and say that's what the Tigers need. That may be correct, but personally I give Coach West a pass because of all the injuries and the Def Coord problems (Whitt 2, Dunn 3-1/4, West 3/4, Kravitz 1, and now Walton, who if he hadn't left a few years ago would have probably already had the job). Plus, I don't think the Tiger program can attract a turnaround artist nor risk taking a chance on an unproven lower level coach (see Rip Scherer). There are some who might say the program got what it deserved for running off Coach Stobart after 3 straight 6-5 seasons. His DC Tim Rose might think that. After all, he turned down the Head Coach job when they offered it to him.

I too get frustrated hearing "well, we just didn't get it done, we've got to get better at ..." whether its running the ball, throwing the ball, pass defense, stopping the run, rushing the passer, special teams, fumbling, understanding the system ... every year its something. But, as has been reported here, we're not very competitive in what we pay assistants and the head coach can't spend a lot of time with individual players. A change might be a good thing, but Coach West has had better results than anyone since Pancoast and the program probably wasn't so far behind everybody else back then. I'm just as afraid of taking a step backward as I am a supporter of West.

I'm not sure if the admin is pressuring him because he can come right back in their faces with a list of what they haven't provided.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2008 09:26 PM by Herff Tiger.)
05-20-2008 09:22 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

There is no need to change coaches if we aren't going to upgrade the facilities. As far as I'm concerned, Tommy is the man until something happens on the stadium front. If he's still losing then, we can revisit the topic.
05-20-2008 09:25 PM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

Donators
Claw Wrote:There is no need to change coaches if we aren't going to upgrade the facilities. As far as I'm concerned, Tommy is the man until something happens on the stadium front. If he's still losing then, we can revisit the topic.

:iagree:
05-20-2008 09:40 PM
Advertisement

jgardne Offline
Heisman

Everyone realizes that Tommy West makes more now than Cal did when he started here? We are stuck with him but Tommy is the equivalent of Johnny Jones. A good coach could do more to get the facilities upgraded. Tommy just can't mobilize the boosters.
05-20-2008 10:20 PM
BrianJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
jgardne Wrote:Tommy just can't mobilize the boosters.

Or there aren't boosters there to be mobilized.

Either way, I think you're on the right track.

Every AD works differently. This one seems to need his coaches to poke and prod him in to things. Otherwise, he's just cruising along.
05-20-2008 11:02 PM
callemasIsee-em Offline
Banned

I Root For: the Tigers!

just you and that bonehead dak10.. if that's the case, shouldn't the administration provide him with the facilities needed to get the job done? our practice field doesn't even drain properly....practicing in mud up to your ankles sucks.

have you seen the basketball complex?
05-20-2008 11:46 PM
Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Dak10 Wrote:See, I told you so. Most people around here are somehow as blind and narrow minded as the poster above me.

Are you a member of the Highland Hundred?
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2008 12:50 AM by Strat57.)
05-21-2008 12:20 AM
Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Herff Tiger Wrote:

No, there are several. And there are several of us who hope it doesn't because we have noticed the toll injuries have taken, not to mention his heart surgery, then some assistant coaches not working out and some good ones moving on to better things. Some of us just like Coach West or are just leery of coaching changes. Since 1972, Pancoast 3 yrs, Williamson 6 yrs, Dockery 3 yrs, Dempsey 2 yrs, Bailey 3 yrs, Stobart 6 yrs, Scherer 6 yrs, and now West is starting his 8th.

Of course, you can say what good is stability if it is stably underperforming. You can look what Tommy Bowden did at Tulane, June Jones at Hawaii, Urban Meyer at Utah, Dennis Franchione at TCU, and other such turnaround artists and say that's what the Tigers need. That may be correct, but personally I give Coach West a pass because of all the injuries and the Def Coord problems (Whitt 2, Dunn 3-1/4, West 3/4, Kravitz 1, and now Walton, who if he hadn't left a few years ago would have probably already had the job). Plus, I don't think the Tiger program can attract a turnaround artist nor risk taking a chance on an unproven lower level coach (see Rip Scherer). There are some who might say the program got what it deserved for running off Coach Stobart after 3 straight 6-5 seasons. His DC Tim Rose might think that. After all, he turned down the Head Coach job when they offered it to him.

I too get frustrated hearing "well, we just didn't get it done, we've got to get better at ..." whether its running the ball, throwing the ball, pass defense, stopping the run, rushing the passer, special teams, fumbling, understanding the system ... every year its something. But, as has been reported here, we're not very competitive in what we pay assistants and the head coach can't spend a lot of time with individual players. A change might be a good thing, but Coach West has had better results than anyone since Pancoast and the program probably wasn't so far behind everybody else back then. I'm just as afraid of taking a step backward as I am a supporter of West.

I'm not sure if the admin is pressuring him because he can come right back in their faces with a list of what they haven't provided.

Pancoast had new buildings and ammentities. It took 30 years to even start catching up. TW got what Rip was promised when he was hired. You really have a sense for the business of the program and see how the progression of how things work. More should take a page from your studying the situation.
05-21-2008 12:31 AM
Advertisement

RandyMc Offline
Reverend

Also, remember that some people have personal axes to grind.03-idea
05-21-2008 04:24 AM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
I dare say a lot of people were ready to fire Calipari a few years ago too.
05-21-2008 05:48 AM
GoTigersGo10 Offline
All American

I am a huge UofM supporter but recently have had enough of Tommy. Whenever I see the pay scales I see he is pretty high up there but does give us results. Don't say the bowl thing. You can be horrible and make a bowl game these days with the 98 bowls. For close to a Mil a year I just want to at least beat sunbelt teams and a few conference games...IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? Oh and maybe beat the team that can't win a game in their own conference!!! If you don't think Tommy is on the hot seat you are nuts. R.C. might not be the smartest man but he realizes that we are battling mediocre years to come.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2008 05:56 AM by GoTigersGo10.)
05-21-2008 05:55 AM
TigerCT Offline
Bench Warmer

I was going to sit on the sidelines for this thread, but I can't. As far as I'm concerned, being a fan gives you the right to have high/low expectations, question the coaches and want results. I am a member of the Highland Hundred and a lifelong season ticket holder and I'm freaking tired of losing to teams from the Sunbelt. Injuries or not, that is on the coach. I'm excited about seeing if the D improves with the addition of Walton. I'm not ready to fire anyone, but I've earned the right to expect results. It's OK to question the old guard and want more! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how this country was founded? Take the blinders off.
05-21-2008 06:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.