What's everyone reading right now?
Sophandros Offline
Gulf Coast Elitist

I Root For: Tulane/Saints

New Orleans Bowl
What's everyone reading right now?
Previous Book: The Tipping Point, Malcolm Gladwell

Current Book: That Hideous Strength, Clive Staples Lewis

Next Book:Likely a choice between Stand on Zanzibar, by John Brunner, or The Demolished Man, by Alfred Bester, or something that one of you guys suggest.
04-25-2006 02:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up

I just finished reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. I have now read all 3 non-DaVinci books by Brown and have been disappointed by each one.

They all start out with a cool premise and storyline, but all become very obvious and boring down the stretch.

I am a big fan of John Sandford. He has written probably 15+ "Prey" series books about a homicide detective named Lucas Davenport. They are set up in a similar fashion to books by James Patterson, but I think that Sandford is a better writer.

If you enjoy Patterson, pick one of Sandford's books up. You can usually find them at a used book store for like a buck or 2. Sandford does write them in a chronological order (i.e. besides the murder investigation, the character's lives are discussed) so if you start near the beginning of the series it will make more sense as you read. (i.e. kind of like watching Seinfeld. Knowing the history isn't critical to understanding the plot, but adds to it if you do.)
04-25-2006 02:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sophandros Offline
Gulf Coast Elitist

New Orleans Bowl

I read DiVinci when it came out, but this was already after reading just about all of the books that he referenced or borrowed from. I was expecting something a bit better, and I'm not particularly fond of his writing style. Still, I appreciate his effort to get the masses to think about certain topics, and I guess that's why he dumbed down his writing so much, IMO.
04-25-2006 02:54 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

Sophandros Wrote:....Still, I appreciate his effort to get the masses to think about certain topics, .....

How is a complete work of fiction supposed to "get the masses to think about certain topics"?

I am currently reading The Wonderful Spirit Filled Life by Charles Stanley
04-25-2006 02:59 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

Sophandros Wrote:I read DiVinci when it came out, but this was already after reading just about all of the books that he referenced or borrowed from. I was expecting something a bit better, and I'm not particularly fond of his writing style. Still, I appreciate his effort to get the masses to think about certain topics, and I guess that's why he dumbed down his writing so much, IMO.

I'm not sure that was his goal. Although I have not yet read DaVinci, his sophmoric approach in the other 3 tells me that that is just his style. He tries to be tricky with a twist, but the whole time he is jumping up and down and waving his hands telling you where he is going, so that it is clear what the twist is about 10 chapters before he gets there.

The other thing that is funny to me is that each book has a "true" element that he tells you all about (anti-matter, code breaking, space telescope) and then he mixes that with a bunch of stuff he "creates" or manipulates, creating the illusion of "everything in my book must be true" leading critical thinkers to question and "sheep" to foolishly believe.
04-25-2006 03:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lauramac Offline

I Root For: ,
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesBlazerTalk AwardNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

Just finished reading:
Elaine Pagels, Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas

Currently reading:
Nevada Barr, Endangered Species
Marge Piercy, Sex Wars

Up next:
Nevada Barr, Liberty Falling
Richard Feynman, What do you care what other people think? (I'd started reading this but left off awhile ago)
Murray Sperber, Beer and Circus: how big-time college sports is crippling undergraduate education

Skimming so I can catalog 'em*:
a shload of digitized 19th & 20th century German Jewish periodicals

*doesn't count as "reading"; but man oh man, am I spending a lot of time looking at them! 03-tired

[EDIT] goofed on the dates -- it's 19th & 20th, not 18th & 19th. Duhhh.
04-25-2006 03:12 PM
Advertisement

rteynor Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

blah Wrote:I just finished reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. I have now read all 3 non-DaVinci books by Brown and have been disappointed by each one.

They all start out with a cool premise and storyline, but all become very obvious and boring down the stretch.

Angels & Demons was the best Dan Brown book. Hands down. Digital Fortess was a joke, and Deception Point was even worse.

blah Wrote:I am a big fan of John Sandford. He has written probably 15+ "Prey" series books about a homicide detective named Lucas Davenport. They are set up in a similar fashion to books by James Patterson, but I think that Sandford is a better writer.

If you enjoy Patterson, pick one of Sandford's books up. You can usually find them at a used book store for like a buck or 2. Sandford does write them in a chronological order (i.e. besides the murder investigation, the character's lives are discussed) so if you start near the beginning of the series it will make more sense as you read. (i.e. kind of like watching Seinfeld. Knowing the history isn't critical to understanding the plot, but adds to it if you do.)

Patterson's a hack. His early Alex Cross stuff was great, but ever since leaving the DC PD, and going FBI, the books have stunk.

Currently, I'm reading "A Confederacy of Dunces", by John Kennedy Toole. Hilarious. Too bad the guy got so depressed he killed himself before the book (or anything else he might have ever written) got published.

I'm a big fan of James Rollins, Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child, Clive Cussler, Jack DuBrul, Jeffery Deaver, Michael Connelly, and a few more. I'll read anything written by that list above without worry of quality dropping. (Although Cussler's recent work is questionable, he has plenty of books in his catalogue that do NOT suck, and will keep you reading for a long time).
04-25-2006 03:15 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

lauramac Wrote:Currently reading:
Marge Piercy, Sex Wars

I know how that one ends.....

The woman always wins. ;-) 01-lauramac2
04-25-2006 03:16 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

blah Wrote:
lauramac Wrote:Currently reading:
Marge Piercy, Sex Wars

I know how that one ends.....

The woman always wins. ;-) 01-lauramac2

And the man takes up residence on the couch! 01-lauramac2
04-25-2006 03:17 PM
lauramac Offline

I Root For: ,
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesBlazerTalk AwardNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

rteynor Wrote:Currently, I'm reading "A Confederacy of Dunces", by John Kennedy Toole. Hilarious.

Indeed! lmfao
04-25-2006 03:22 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

I am a fan of many of Peter Benchley's books.
04-25-2006 03:22 PM
Advertisement

Sophandros Offline
Gulf Coast Elitist

New Orleans Bowl

GrayBeard Wrote:
Sophandros Wrote:....Still, I appreciate his effort to get the masses to think about certain topics, .....

How is a complete work of fiction supposed to "get the masses to think about certain topics"?

Well, people think about the stuff in the Bible, now don't they?
04-25-2006 03:53 PM
Sophandros Offline
Gulf Coast Elitist

New Orleans Bowl

lauramac Wrote:Just finished reading:
Elaine Pagels, Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas

Currently reading:
Nevada Barr, Endangered Species
Marge Piercy, Sex Wars

Up next:
Nevada Barr, Liberty Falling
Richard Feynman, What do you care what other people think? (I'd started reading this but left off awhile ago)
Murray Sperber, Beer and Circus: how big-time college sports is crippling undergraduate education

Skimming so I can catalog 'em*:
a shload of digitized 18th & 19th century German Jewish periodicals

*doesn't count as "reading"; but man oh man, am I spending a lot of time looking at them! 03-tired

I like Pagels and her approach to things.
04-25-2006 03:55 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

Sophandros Wrote:
GrayBeard Wrote:

03-melodramatic 03-melodramatic

Sophandros, the drama queen. I absolutely regret taking the bait that you tossed out there.

04-25-2006 03:56 PM
Sophandros Offline
Gulf Coast Elitist

New Orleans Bowl

rteynor Wrote:
blah Wrote:I just finished reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. I have now read all 3 non-DaVinci books by Brown and have been disappointed by each one.

Angels & Demons was the best Dan Brown book. Hands down. Digital Fortess was a joke, and Deception Point was even worse.

blah Wrote:I am a big fan of John Sandford. He has written probably 15+ "Prey" series books about a homicide detective named Lucas Davenport. They are set up in a similar fashion to books by James Patterson, but I think that Sandford is a better writer.

Patterson's a hack. His early Alex Cross stuff was great, but ever since leaving the DC PD, and going FBI, the books have stunk.

Currently, I'm reading "A Confederacy of Dunces", by John Kennedy Toole. Hilarious. Too bad the guy got so depressed he killed himself before the book (or anything else he might have ever written) got published.

I'm a big fan of James Rollins, Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child, Clive Cussler, Jack DuBrul, Jeffery Deaver, Michael Connelly, and a few more. I'll read anything written by that list above without worry of quality dropping. (Although Cussler's recent work is questionable, he has plenty of books in his catalogue that do NOT suck, and will keep you reading for a long time).

Toole also wrote The Neon Bible, which is an unfinished novel.

Confederacy is one of the greatest American novels ever written, IMO.
04-25-2006 03:56 PM
Sophandros Offline
Gulf Coast Elitist

New Orleans Bowl

GrayBeard Wrote:
Sophandros Wrote:
GrayBeard Wrote:

Sophandros, the drama queen. I absolutely regret taking the bait that you tossed out there.

Nah, dude, I'm just giving you a hard time. You asked whether fiction can inspire thought, and I responded with the most published peice of fiction that his inspired the most thought.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

BTW, you may have noticed the author of the book I'm currently reading.
04-25-2006 04:00 PM
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

Sophandros Wrote:Nah, dude, I'm just giving you a hard time. You asked whether fiction can inspire thought, and I responded with the most published peice of fiction that his inspired the most thought.

One day the truth will be revealed, but no one can make you see what you refuse to until that time.

As far as your current book, who is it? Should I know him?
04-25-2006 04:03 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

GrayBeard Wrote:
Sophandros Wrote:Nah, dude, I'm just giving you a hard time. You asked whether fiction can inspire thought, and I responded with the most published peice of fiction that his inspired the most thought.

One day the truth will be revealed, but no one can make you see what you refuse to until that time.

Ahh, CS Lewis...sheesh. I have not read any of his stuff, so I didn't get the full name thing. 05-footinmouth
04-25-2006 04:08 PM
Sophandros Offline
Gulf Coast Elitist

New Orleans Bowl

GrayBeard Wrote:
GrayBeard Wrote:

Ahh, CS Lewis...sheesh. I have not read any of his stuff, so I didn't get the full name thing. 05-footinmouth

No worries at all.
04-25-2006 04:12 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Lots of non-fiction, heavily focused on 3-6 page articles related to relevant scientific advances.

I forsee this trend continuing for at least the next 3-4 months, with a slight shift into reading larger works of my own invention. (EDIT: that's also soon to be a recurring feature of l-mac's reading list as well)

03-yawn :goodnight:
04-25-2006 04:46 PM
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.