Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I wish WKU played IA in the Sun Belt
Bookmark and Share
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators

so I would have something to talk about in here to keep this forum going.

I have seen MTSU picked second in a couple pre-season polls... curious what is going to make MTSU so good this year. How about Troy's addition... are they going to be good?
06-18-2005 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee

MT is picked 1st in Phil Steele's mag. (been proven to be the most accurate of all the mags.) not that that means anything. The mags place us anywhere from 1st to 6th.

MT has a great QB, and should have the best D-Line in the Belt and the best Linebackers in the Belt. The run is set to be better than last year (better than last year's NOTHING of a run game). Our receivers took a hit with the loss of Kerry Wright, but with numerous receivers from last year to find a target in, Wright's loss shouldn't hurt the pass.

Our schedule is prime. We open at Alabama, and next week is North Texas at MT. We get the champions early after a trip to LSU. A win here should take the championship out of the reach of the Mean Green and leave it up to MT and Troy (last game of the season) to fight it out.
06-20-2005 12:41 AM
galojah Offline
All American

Donators

If WKU doesn't have a home game, I might come down for the UNT vs MTSU game. That should be a great game and hopefully the tailgating would be fun.

EDIT: Scratch that thought, it is Sept 10, the same night as the WKU/EKU Battle of the Bluegrass.
06-20-2005 11:25 AM
bluesmoke Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Troy lost most of their outstanding defense from last season and their qb flunked out of summer school.

:laugh:
06-20-2005 03:31 PM
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies

I like MT's chances this year. They get UNT at home in week 2 after UNT plays @ LSU. Alabama will be a brutal game for MT, but UNT may be in worse shape (although I hope Thomas and Cobbs run wild on LSU's defense!).

Don't want to sound like a homer, but watch out for the Cajuns. This is our year!
06-20-2005 04:47 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU

Just from an outside observer, Middle Tennessee always seem to recruit the best talent in the Sun Belt and really recruit well compared to any non BCS school. It seems that every year they have had the most talented team pre-season or a really close 2nd, and for what ever reason they squander it away and even choke lossing to D1aa teams and upstart programs moving up to D1aa. They have really been a let down the last few years. I think they do have a winning year this season and beat N. Texas but from what I read, and just following this league a little My money is on UL-Monroe.

Weatherbie is a proven winner, Todd Berry the OC was a successful head coach in D1aa and one of our greatest OC's ever here at ECU. The QB Jyles is a stud and 4 year starter and the 6-6 receiver they have should dominate this year if both actually stay healthy. They just seem to have come a long ways last season and I don't think they have peaked yet. Now they have to play at Midd Tenn St but I still think they will probably have the best year.
06-21-2005 12:28 AM
Advertisement

RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I'm afraid of ULM. Not many are. And I can only agree with the fact that we screw the season up every year. One time it has to work out. If it doesn't, Say bye bye to coach Andy Mac.
06-21-2005 01:28 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I followed you guys just after you made the jump up, and I really thought you were on the verge of dominating and one year it looked like you would possibly crack the top 25. Seems like Newsom and a couple of the guys made NFL rosters, so the talent was there. Hicks? I think was the running back got hurt or something one year and it was down hill after that it seemed. After 3 straight losing seasons and a couple of D1aa losses I am surprised you guys haven't shown Mac the door anyway. I know he had some success and recruits pretty well, but for the talent you have had it seems like you have really underachieved.

Heck I even used to play with you guys a little on my NCAA football game dynasty when you first moved up. You guys got a good guy in our Belton Rivers who transferred from ECU to MTS. Rivers came in and started at Point Guard as a freshman against a top 10 Marquette team and helped lead us victory. Also I like that picture, cool looking stadium.
06-21-2005 05:09 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

Yeah, (totally enclosed btw since you can't see the 4th side)

Too bad we can't fill it.

I affectionately call it "MT (empty) Stadium".
06-21-2005 10:28 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.

StillJonesing Wrote:I followed you guys just after you made the jump up, and I really thought you were on the verge of dominating and one year it looked like you would possibly crack the top 25. Seems like Newsom and a couple of the guys made NFL rosters, so the talent was there. Hicks? I think was the running back got hurt or something one year and it was down hill after that it seemed. After 3 straight losing seasons and a couple of D1aa losses I am surprised you guys haven't shown Mac the door anyway. I know he had some success and recruits pretty well, but for the talent you have had it seems like you have really underachieved.

Heck I even used to play with you guys a little on my NCAA football game dynasty when you first moved up. You guys got a good guy in our Belton Rivers who transferred from ECU to MTS. Rivers came in and started at Point Guard as a freshman against a top 10 Marquette team and helped lead us victory. Also I like that picture, cool looking stadium.
I did a google search, since I hadn't heard of Rivers. He is going to Tennessee Tech in Cookeville, about an hour and a half from Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro).

ATO, don't be surprised if some of our guys are ineligible this fall. I wouldn't laugh at Troy so fast. I still have my fingers crossed, but with our very low APR, methinks we'll see several casualties, too.
06-23-2005 12:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I didn't say anything about Troy. I don't know enough about them to even open my mouth. I don't think I really know enough about MT to say much. But I know somebody who knows some key players and nothing about bad grades has come from his mouth. Even know somebody who tutored these key players.
06-23-2005 03:03 PM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

My bad, some one told me he transfered to your school.
06-23-2005 07:48 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

Raider_ATO Wrote:I didn't say anything about Troy. I don't know enough about them to even open my mouth. I don't think I really know enough about MT to say much. But I know somebody who knows some key players and nothing about bad grades has come from his mouth. Even know somebody who tutored these key players.
You are right. I should have responded to BlueSmoke.......

By the way, WKU fans, our AD keeps talking about an MT/WKU football game. It will happen soon, I think.
06-23-2005 08:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hollywood Aztec Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

StillJonesing Wrote:Just from an outside observer, Middle Tennessee always seem to recruit the best talent in the Sun Belt and really recruit well compared to any non BCS school.
No flame intended here but simply curious why you said what you said. I'd like to know where their recruiting class rankings have been the past 2-3 years.
06-24-2005 01:23 PM
galojah Offline
All American

Donators

KAjunRaider Wrote:
Raider_ATO Wrote:I didn't say anything about Troy. I don't know enough about them to even open my mouth. I don't think I really know enough about MT to say much. But I know somebody who knows some key players and nothing about bad grades has come from his mouth. Even know somebody who tutored these key players.
You are right. I should have responded to BlueSmoke.......

By the way, WKU fans, our AD keeps talking about an MT/WKU football game. It will happen soon, I think.
A WKU/MTSU match-up ALMOST happened this year. It was actually on a tentitive schedule for a little while, that's how close it was. Conflicts got in the way and it didn't work out. I'd say we'll play soon though.
06-24-2005 02:04 PM
Stephen37130 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

galojay Wrote:A WKU/MTSU match-up ALMOST happened this year. It was actually on a tentitive schedule for a little while, that's how close it was. Conflicts got in the way and it didn't work out. I'd say we'll play soon though.
You guys come on down. It'll be fun to watch the Blue Raiders lay a whupping on the Toppers. It would certainly help our cause to sell out the stadium once in a while. Though with the moves being made by Massaro, don't be surprised to see MT averaging over 25,000 a game REAL soon. Our new AD has lit a fire under the sleeping giant that is MT athletics. Be forewarned fellow SBC schools.
06-24-2005 03:52 PM
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

Stephen37130 Wrote:
galojay Wrote:A WKU/MTSU match-up ALMOST happened this year. It was actually on a tentitive schedule for a little while, that's how close it was.  Conflicts got in the way and it didn't work out.  I'd say we'll play soon though.
You guys come on down. It'll be fun to watch the Blue Raiders lay a whupping on the Toppers. It would certainly help our cause to sell out the stadium once in a while. Though with the moves being made by Massaro, don't be surprised to see MT averaging over 25,000 a game REAL soon. Our new AD has lit a fire under the sleeping giant that is MT athletics. Be forewarned fellow SBC schools.
Actually, I believe that is what WKU AD Selig called MT-- a sleeping giant.

Called his buddy in South Carolina (Massaro) and told him it was the best AD job in the Sun Belt (although I'm sure he did not say it in those terms). I have heard Massaro tell the story on several occasions.

Selig told Massaro that he should throw his hat in the ring.

The rest is history.
06-25-2005 01:17 PM
Big Squirrel Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I certainly hope so! I want to see a really good rivalry between MTSU and WKU evolve. Most of our rivalries are in state with teams that (in my opinion) aren't really up to our caliber (EKU and Murray). It would be nice to have a real, conference rival that we're going to see at least twice a year in basketball and other sports, and maybe that many times in football, when we move up to the 1A level.

I think some of the ground work has been laid, and Massaro and Selig will work to make it really flourish.
06-27-2005 01:21 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

Hollywood Aztec Wrote:
StillJonesing Wrote:Just from an outside observer, Middle Tennessee always seem to recruit the best talent in the Sun Belt and really recruit well compared to any non BCS school.
No flame intended here but simply curious why you said what you said. I'd like to know where their recruiting class rankings have been the past 2-3 years.
Well in college football there is a clear pecking order. The BCS teams are nearly always ahead of the non-BCS with very few exceptions.

Normally the best Non BCS recruiting class isn't even top 50. San Diego State they last few years has really had some of the best non-BCS classes ranking around 60 in the nation. Midd Tenn St has been around the top 75 the last few years. That is great for them because the Sun Belt is normally the lowest in the pecking order,and most of the their teams aren't in the top 100.

Luckly for us Football is a sport in which schemes and coaching is very important and players can be built in the weight room.
06-27-2005 03:11 PM
PrimeRateWKUFan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Hate to say it, but MTSU was the only program (when we were both in the OVC) that held an edge on WKU in football. If I'm not mistaken, they lead us by 1 game. Last game I was present when we played them, WKU beat MTSU 54-0, but that was in the late 70s. Not really sure we've played them since (probably have, but just don't recall off hand).
06-30-2005 06:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.