Unofficial EMU Football Recruiting Thread 2024
Bookmark and Share
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
RE: Unofficial EMU Football Recruiting Thread 2024
(12-03-2023 09:14 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(12-03-2023 08:32 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  
(12-03-2023 08:11 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  We don’t know if Vioto can be a starting QB at this level. Remember Austin Smith was a 3* recruit like Vioto.

What...? Are you serious? So was Dequan Finn...and basically every MAC QB. In fact Michael Penix was a three star on some sites coming out of high school...I think he can play at his level.

Also, Austin Smith was a two star recruit with very few FBS offers. Viotto was a high three star recruit with multiple FBS offers, including multipe power-five offers. That doesn't automatically mean he is going to be good, but they were nowhere near the same level of recruit.

I’m sure we got our information from the same source and we’re both right. My point is just because someone is rated a 3* doesn’t mean it will translate into college football success especially at the QB position where experience is often a huge factor in success.

Austin Smith from EMU roster “Ranked as a two-star recruit by Rivals and as a three-star recruit by 247Sports...Compiled 20 offers, nearly all of which were from Division I institutions.”

Austin Smith was a 2-star recruit with a 5.4 (6.1 is the highest) ranking on rivals, Viotto was a 3-star recruit with a 5.6 ranking. Smith was also a 2-star recruit and the 206th best QB in the country on 247, Viotto was a 3-star 54th best QB.

Even using 247 sports composite rankings Smith was a 3-star (meaning someone somewhere ranked him a 3 star) but still 2,109 overall and the 132 QB while Viotto was 1,209 and 59 at QB.

As far as offers for Smith go, yeah they were division one but mostly FCS. Rivals and 247 have a very different list of offers for him...I tend to think 247 is probably more accurate. Of course maybe Viotto can't play, but he was a much more highly regarded player coming out of high school. Had Viotto come to EMU out of high school he would have been our 7th highest rated recruit of all time, Smith is nowhere near that list.

Not that any of that means much, lowly 2-star Maxx Crosby is maybe the greatest player in program history while Melvin Swindle is the third highest recruit ever, and has been a good, solid player but nothing even close to Maxx.
12-03-2023 10:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Unofficial EMU Football Recruiting Thread 2024 - Sellers dweller - 12-03-2023 10:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.