Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
(06-29-2022 07:44 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(06-26-2022 09:56 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-26-2022 09:06 PM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  While the SEC is certainly the top dog right now and into the foreseeable future...I'm interested in the B1G's next move. In spite of their current short/medium term prospects...they have to feel utterly outplayed by the SEC over the past 10-20 years in all aspects of athletics and realignment. It's hard to imagine the B1G won't attempt a bold move when the time is right. Some combination of UVA/UNC/Duke/GT/FSU? They've got the money, pride and long-term aspirations. Even if it's a contract break-even proposition (I doubt it would be)...I'd think they'd consider it just as a defensive (spiteful?) move. Curious what SEC fans think.

Well, when Maryland departed North Carolina's first call was to Birmingham. Their concern was over additional defections to the B1G. They wanted to know if (Cunningham who was brand new as AD) the SEC would take Duke too if the worst happened to the ACC. Slive supposedly said yes.

When OU and UT were announced the same schools were inquiring again. I don't think Duke cares where they go so long as they are together. UNC donors prefer an SEC association, very much like OU's did.

in 2011 Virginia may have been in play for the Big 10 as well as Georgia Tech. Virginia's a catch. Georgia Tech has major issues. They don't carry Atlanta and Georgia carries the rest of the state at 83%. They also have revenue generation issues.

The question is if we come to movement does the SEC take Duke and UNC in order to get UVa? Likely, but not necessarily certain.

If I'm the B1G I want needle movers. Notre Dame has to be an anchor and frankly Syracuse should be looked at to nail down your regional expansion. Then you can claim Virginia. The SEC is doing UNC only a slight favor on Duke. UT and OU and the AAU's in the SEC won't complain. Virginia Tech earns the SEC more and both deliver the state of ~10 million. Who's #4? You are better off with Colorado, but that could cause issues. Kansas has better national branding but a small state. Pitt has great academics and does deliver Pittsburgh, but is in Penn State's shadow and duplicates a lot. Ga Tech's issues I've discussed. Maybe you make a run at Missouri. Maybe they are interested??? Maybe.

If we leave the NCAA or truly gain autonomy over structure then 3 regional divisions off 6 might work well or no divisions.

What I can see the SEC doing is taking Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Virginia and ESPN creating a better football product around Clemson, Miami, and FSU and quite possibly Va Tech using solid B12 football programs. This clusters some solid football in the 40-million-dollar payout range which could cover early movement.

It would create a solid window for B1G expansion with ND and Syracuse as the first 2. Snag Kansas and Missouri (no buy in) and the SEC could take Duke, Virginia, and UNC and stop at 18. The B1G could do the same. ESPN has top hoops brands in places where they can earn more. The B1G gets a white whale, a physical presence in New York, and a much-needed Western additions. The SEC gets hoops cred and a more balanced W/L record on the gridiron. ESPN merges the best of the B12 with solid ACC football for a more valuable conference. So, if ESPN keeps a slice of the B1G it's a win, win, win.

If Missouri stays (totally their choice as we want them) we go after the 4 and move to 20 while the B1G moves to 16. If the SEC can snag UNC and Duke we'll do it. If they want UVa and UVa wants to stay with them we'll do that too.

You see the SEC doesn't want a Big 10 presence in the Deep South. Stopping the B1G at North Carolina is a serious move to make sure the B1G stays NE and NW. And that has been a formal SEC contingency since 1990.

Has there been any chatter between Notre Dame and the SEC? I’m sure they are looking around as the ACC could quickly collapse with a few defections. Only a GOR is holding that at bay.

Swarbrick and Slive were friendly. Don't know about Sankey. We always have ESPN in common.
06-29-2022 08:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-05-2020, 09:48 PM
ok - Transic_nyc - 05-06-2020, 12:30 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-13-2020, 11:50 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 05-14-2020, 02:00 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why? - JRsec - 06-29-2022 08:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.