Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
(04-23-2022 07:48 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 06:17 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 03:29 AM)JRsec Wrote:  I think disparity in income is the new carrot with which to entice the final moves. We'll see.

Possibly, but since the ACC is owned by ESPN, the Mouse might feel inclined to keep the ACC within range of the SEC and B1G just on general principle. Its a move not without precedent as intervention from FOX and the WWL is the sole reason why the B12 still exists. I'm sure ESPN knows better than us any SEC---> ACC movement would bring into question the latter's stability and it is doubtful that ESPN could find a home for all 14 schools. And lets face it, an ACC addition only benefits to SEC in areas that are ancillary to play on the field.

If any conference is going away its definitely going to be the B12. Less members to disperse, the opportunity to do so is right around the corner, has the weaker brand and the logistics are easier for the rest of the P4 to swallow.

There is a point of 'diminishing return' on expansion, particularly for a conference atop the heap such as the SEC. What that number may be is debatable.
My opinion is that the SEC is in a grand situation with the OU and UT additions. The SEC can be very choosy going forward. The ACC has a few high quality schools that may offer a net gain to the revenue of the current SEC schools.
The Big12, at varying times, has lost Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M, Missouri, and now Texas and Oklahoma. What's left are not impressive standouts, and I say that includes Kansas outside their basketball program.

We are headed for a P2 of what will eventually be about 48 schools.

So, O.F. which 8 do you wish to see in the SEC. The value is accretive because the current number of 65 hands in the pie will be reduced by 17 and revenues raised for better weekly match ups and for having a collection of brands which draw 2-3 million viewers or more each time they play.

I'd say the first 4 which would be the most accretive would be North Carolina and Virginia Tech for additional markets of 21 million. Florida State gives us 2 in a large state and gives us the 2 which deliver the most viewers. Clemson x anyone in the SEC lineup will be compelling TV. Beyond that it's what ESPN wants. Louisville is the best all around. Miami holds solid value and is easily recognized by casual viewers.
Georgia Tech is in the largest city in the South. Duke and Kansas are national draws in hoops.

Combining the PAC and B1G is a natural. Counting only AAU schools that's 9 + 14 assuming ND is #24.

If the SEC grows to 24 we need take 8 from the ACC & B12. The revenue increases with inventory, larger shares due to fewer members, and better matchups due to brand on brand play.

The SEC doesn't need anyone else. That's true. But if we are the nucleus for half of a new self contained league which 8 would you take?
04-23-2022 08:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why? - JRsec - 04-23-2022 08:20 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-05-2020, 09:48 PM
ok - Transic_nyc - 05-06-2020, 12:30 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-13-2020, 11:50 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 05-14-2020, 02:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.