Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
(04-19-2022 10:18 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(04-19-2022 02:32 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  About the only schools worth considering from the Big 12 would be Kansas and West Virginia. Kansas could be Big Ten bound as they would round out any PAC-12 additions. WVU could land in the ACC or in the SEC if a PAC school is added and a round number is desired. I still think the ACC stays together until 2036 with their GOR.

But if we are looking at schools that add value to the SEC, only a handful average more value that the SEC mean. Besides future new additions OU and UT, Ohio State, Michigan, Norte Dame and Penn State are above the SEC medium. Nebraska, Wisconsin, Florida State and a few more have high values.

So outside adding Michigan, OSU, ND or Penn State, you’re probably adding a school that could lower the per team payout unless a major change in scheduling or post season structure develops.

Many years ago, I proposed that the SEC add all 10 schools from the Big 12 and form a 24 team behemoth. It wasn't meant to be, but the point of this concept was to get a certain amount of premier content under one roof.

This sort of consolidation creates value in and of itself. That will be even more true in a world of NIL and pay-for-play. The reason is because fewer and fewer squads will be able to afford to compete at the highest level.

I understand the reasoning behind every addition needing to add value to the median point, but I have ever only agreed with it up to a point. The point where that changes is the moment you can redefine the market with the level of content you have.

More games + more watchable brands + more interested markets

This is the formula that pro leagues use to capitalize on the diverse interests of Americans. There is a saturation point, certainly, but no college league has reached it.

24 for the SEC is fine as long as you're adding watchable brands from a wide swath of territory.

The next expansion, I would think the SEC would want to focus eastward. That will take immense maneuvering to crack the ACC GoR before it is due to expire. Essentially, near all ACC schools get promised a P-level placement elsewhere, or a big infusion of money and a reload if just a fraction of the conference leaves.
04-20-2022 09:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-05-2020, 09:48 PM
ok - Transic_nyc - 05-06-2020, 12:30 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-13-2020, 11:50 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 05-14-2020, 02:00 AM
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why? - OdinFrigg - 04-20-2022 09:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.