Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
RE: If ...
(05-14-2020 12:04 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-13-2020 11:50 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 01:22 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 12:30 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  Well, a B24 would, essentially, be an association more than a conference. However, I guess by that point college sports would have changed to the point that programs across the country would have to forego regional pride and share their prime sports rights as a means of survival in a new world. So I'll play along:

Big XVI
Iowa State, Louisville, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, West Virginia

B24
Washington, Oregon, Stanford, California
UCLA, USC, Arizona, Utah
Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota
Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State
Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana
Penn State, Maryland, Notre Dame, Rutgers

Kentucky, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia
Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina
Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Mississippi
Arkansas, Louisiana State, Missouri, Texas A&M
*Vanderbilt, *Wake Forest *Duke *Tulane

I'm assuming that the Big XVI would go to a divisionless format to account for the geographical spread but it also allows programs to lock four or five rivals every season and rotate the rest. For the B24 going to a 6x4 format gives fans some semblance of security knowing the familiar opponents on the schedule and also opponents from the other side of the country every other year. ND would have the choice of switching between Stanford/Cal and USC/UCLA. I'm also sensitive about avoiding a Michigan-Ohio State rematch.

Tulane, being a former SEC member, would be a natural fit to complement Duke and Vanderbilt.

I had more in mind two dominant conferences and an access conference.

SEC:
Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M
Alabama, Auburn, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee
Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina
Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech
* Vanderbilt *Wake Forest as all but football.

B1G:
Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Utah
California, California Los Angeles, Oregon, Southern Cal, Stanford, Washington
Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin
Indiana, Maryland, Notre Dame, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers

New Access Conference:
Air Force, Arizona State, Brigham Young, Oregon State, San Diego State, Washington State
Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Christian, Texas Tech
Boston College, Cincinnati, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia
Army, Central Florida, Houston, Miami, Navy, South Florida

Each Conference gets their champion in the playoff automatically. There are 5 at large spots.

Each Conference plays the 5 in their division, 6 from the rotating divisions on the schedule, and 1 permanent rival that can be from any conference.

The 4 division winners face off in the conference semis which add about 70 million for this new pair of games. The CCG remains the same.

I think the Big 10 would be pleased with this arrangement and that the key schools from the ACC and Big 12 and SEC would as well.

You might do better in building out the West, shifting Arkansas towards the Texas schools and Oklahoma. Maintaining enough separation between UT and A&M gives the SEC additional chances to be seen in Texas. I would also shift Tennessee towards the NC/VA programs to foster competitiveness in that division. Vanderbilt and Wake Forest would still be partials but I would pick TCU over Duke to build out the presence in DFW. NC State and UNC by themselves already cover Raleigh, so Duke is superfluous. If I could get away with it then Duke goes to the Access conference.

TCU, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri
Texas A&M, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn
Georgia Tech, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Clemson, South Carolina
Kentucky, Tennessee, UNC, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech
* Vanderbilt *Wake Forest

Air Force, Arizona State, Brigham Young, Oregon State, San Diego State, Washington State
Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Houston, Texas Tech
Boston College, Cincinnati, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia
Army, Central Florida, Duke, Miami, Navy, South Florida

I had considered simply seeing Duke drop football and move to the Big East. Tennessee could move.

With Texas and Oklahoma playing in Dallas and with the largest two groups of fans there being Texas and Aggie fans followed by Oklahoma they would be more than covered.

Then I would probably look into sliding Louisville into the west. I still like the Tennessee division I created and also putting Arkansas with Texas and Oklahoma. Somebody is going to be an outlier and better a program who would take any spot in the big club. Having the Gulf programs put together and the GA/FL/SC programs put together make loads of sense to me. KY and TN should look towards the Atlantic to have an outlet to the coastline. So the last division would be the landlocked areas that go better together.
05-14-2020 02:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-05-2020, 09:48 PM
ok - Transic_nyc - 05-06-2020, 12:30 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-13-2020, 11:50 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 05-14-2020 02:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.