Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
(11-05-2015 08:09 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(11-04-2015 10:04 AM)ren.hoek Wrote:  
(11-03-2015 06:47 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(11-03-2015 04:45 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  Given the recent developments with the ACCN delay (I still hold out hope that ESPN will come through just because I think they would rather the ACC survive and thrive rather than be picked apart)...

here's a novel idea that Swofford is undoubtedly not smart enough to conjure himself: Conspire to cannibalize the Big12 with the SEC and ESPN. We need 8 votes to dissolve the conference and nullify the GOR. The SEC is negotiating from a position of strength, so let them have the two properties they desire the most: OU and Kansas. The ACC then takes 6 to destroy the Big12: WVU, KState, Okie State, Texas, Baylor, TCU. The elephant in the room is the Longhorn network. Let Texas keep it, but they get zero revenue from the ACCN. The ACC gets subscribers all through Texahoma, Kansas and probably into Missouri. The ACC and SEC get new interconference rivalries with Kansas-KState, OU-OSU, and just maybe Texas-aTm. Iowa State and TTech are hosed, but that's life.

That would result in a 16 team SEC and a 20 team ACC. The ACC would mix and match 5 team pods to form 2 divisions of 10 teams every year. They divide up rather nicely:
BC
Syracuse
Pitt
Louisville
WVU

UVa
VT
UNC
Duke
NCSU

WF
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

Texas
TCU
Baylor
OSU
KState

WF gets murdered every year, but WF has a history of being the peacemaker that does what is best for the conference.

That's similar to some of the scenarios we talked about previously. The ACC would benefit most by tag teaming with the SEC to take down the Big 12.

It's probably the simplest plan for both leagues and ESPN to get what they want. Not sure if UNC would go for it, but the others really should just make it happen and save the league for the long term. If UNC doesn't want more power teams in the league then tell them to get over it.

I would propose this alignment:

OU, OSU, KU, TCU to the SEC

UT, Baylor, TT, KSU, ISU, WVU to the ACC

ACC North: BC, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Louisville(the old Big East basically)
ACC West: UT, Baylor, TT, KSU, ISU
ACC Atlantic: UVA, VT, UNC, Duke, NC State
ACC South: FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson, Wake

It would be a pretty good league actually.

we all love hypotheticals on this board, so here's another one. assuming the ACCN delay further pressures ND to go all in and they agree to do it. I had previously said, along with many others, that Cincy is the most likely 16th assuming no P5 team is available. However, let's consider a few points. I would also assume that the ACCN does come to fruition if ND is all in (probably a safe bet).

1. ND being all in changes the game. The 16th is of much less consequence given the gravity of ND joining.
2. The 16th should still be selected in terms of what they give the ACC that they don't already have: TV market/ACCN, recruiting territory, football prowess, basketball prowess.

UConn brings good basketball, but we already have basketball in spades. Football is dreadful and most likely always will be. There are very little recruits coming from that area. We already have a foothold in that TV market with Syracuse and ND.

Cincy brings decent football and basketball. It is also a good recruiting area. However, I would argue that Ohio is OSU territory and always will be. Adding Cincy will not put the ACC into Ohio any further than ND and Louisville already do for us.

Drum roll...

Houston: Large university with decent football with a much higher ceiling than the other options. New recruiting territory and TV markets for the ACCN. Also another possible ACC - SEC rivalry with aTm. Travel concerns are mitigated by 2 very large airports in Houston. It also further marginalizes the Big12.

Is it a dumb idea? Maybe, but this is a message board 03-wink

It's a really dumb idea.
01-wingedeagle

Yeah but I got you to read the whole thing and you'll never get that 5 minutes of your life back 03-wink
11-05-2015 08:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why? - ren.hoek - 11-05-2015 08:35 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-05-2020, 09:48 PM
ok - Transic_nyc - 05-06-2020, 12:30 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-13-2020, 11:50 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 05-14-2020, 02:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.