Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
(11-01-2015 12:31 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-31-2015 10:43 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Schools I would want from the ACC should it come apart:

FSU, Clemson, GT, UNC, Duke, NC State, UVA, VT, Pitt, Louisville

The others don't do much for us.

Now I'm not saying we should try to get all 10 even though I wouldn't have a problem with that. I am saying some combo of those schools is the way to go.

I do agree that UNC and Duke probably end up in the SEC in this scenario. In all honesty, I think we should take 6 while we can get them. That may leave the trimmings slim for the Big Ten, but I'm perfectly fine with trying to establish supremacy over that league. If we can get 6 schools that we want then I say go for it.

After UNC and Duke, I say we should target a VA school. I'm actually fine with both VA schools and I don't know if they have any interest in staying together, but if both are willing to come then I say go for that. UVA is the old money and the AAU institution while VT is the brand of the future while also adding a strong football program.

Next I say, go for FSU and Clemson. If we want to put pressure on the Big 12 to fish or cut bait then this is the combo that does it. There are no better 2 expansion options for them.

So let's say we can't get 2 VA schools. At that point I'm open to either Pitt or GT. I think tapping into Western PA would be a good move albeit the school not being remotely Southern. I don't see the Big Ten taking Pitt as the brand is not a strong one like ND or FSU. It makes sense that you add schools within the current footprint only if the content is strong. Pitt is worth much more to the SEC or the Big 12 for that matter than it is to the Big Ten. It's also an AAU school and there aren't a lot of solid AAU schools lying around so I think the SEC would be wise to jump on that.

GT is also fine. I would rather the Big Ten not get into Atlanta, but if GT is not near the top of our list then I think that makes Pitt all the more valuable. After NC and VA, there aren't any large markets on our borders other than PA and OH. I know PA isn't really a border state, but it's pretty close especially by air. If the Big Ten lands a VA and NC school next time then I would prefer they not also land a GA school. Or if they do then I think we need to counter with another large new market.

My first choice:

SEC North: Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, UVA, VT
SEC East: FSU, Clemson, UNC, Duke, South Carolina
SEC Central: Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida
SEC West: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss

4 division games, 3 permanent rivals against 1 team from each of the other divisions, 3 rotating games against 1 each from the other divisions.

You could play 10 games, preserve a great deal of rivalries, create new regional rivalries, and make sure everyone plays everyone at least once every 4 years. I don't think it could get any better than that.

Drop Louisville and Pitt and we can agree. We want to keep the SEC culturally cohesive (unlike the ACC) and Kentucky is the only conference school that is dead set against their in state rival ever being a member besides the Aggies.

Yeah, I think that is an admirable goal and I don't think Pitt would be likely anyway.

I don't see the major brands ending up in the Big 12 because I see ESPN wanting to preserve as much content in the SEC as possible.

Big Ten gets:

Notre Dame, Syracuse, Boston College, Georgia Tech

Big 12 gets:

Miami, Louisville, Pitt, NC State
11-01-2015 04:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why? - AllTideUp - 11-01-2015 04:15 PM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-05-2020, 09:48 PM
ok - Transic_nyc - 05-06-2020, 12:30 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-13-2020, 11:50 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 05-14-2020, 02:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.