Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
(09-27-2014 07:16 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(09-27-2014 06:43 AM)XLance Wrote:  With the long term future of college football somewhat in doubt, the focus for conference realignment will shift back from markets and more toward "fit".
While I don't think that we will ever return to the close knit 7 or 8 team conference of the past, it is possible that you might fine what we now know as a conference just go away. The old conference will either be replaced by some sort of managing association that will house pods of 5-9 teams, or conferences will re-settle into units of 9-15 schools.
While football has been a great gateway for conferences like the SEC to get into the network television business, those conferences like the SEC can not survive in the television market place as a "one trick pony".
Schools will need some sort of relationship to make women's softball an attractive draw instead of some random contest. The college baseball season, which could be a great product for a conference network, will have to be pushed back into the summer instead of starting in
February. Travel considerations will again become important.
Fit over market......could the Ivy League have had it right all of this time?

Or, you could begin to look at it as it is and fulfill much of what you are saying. ESPN and FOX are the larger managing organizations. Divisions will essentially be 6 team conferences grouped regionally for minor sports convenience. The 4 games played out of division will essentially be two quality road trips a season of distance (an improvement over what we have now). I do think both men's and women's basketball will dominate the winter and I also think you will prove to be correct that baseball will be moved to an April start and Spring Football to August. It will take time but extraneous forces and the need for compelling year round product for the networks will move it in that direction anyway. Soccer, Lacrosse, and Women's Softball an gymnastics will receive a boost. Track and Field, Swimming and Diving conference championships and national meets will be broadcast as well. I even think the audience would enjoy some equestrian events. It's really quite beautiful to watch.

I say this because of the corporate reticence to give up branding. You might well see an SEC/ACC merger perhaps with a few Big 12 schools but the Brands of ACC & SEC will be kept like NFL and AFL complete with those regional divisions. It's just that the combined content of all might be on one network (ESPN) and under their management of marketing the product. The commissioner's position might be combined to reduce overhead but that's about it, IMO.

BTW the SEC is much less of a one trick pony in money sports than the ACC. Baseball, Women's Softball (TV only not really a money sport), Swimming and Diving, Track and Field, Equestrian, and yes even basketball are still offered at championship levels of play, if not dominated by SEC schools. Women's gymnastics may not sell tickets but is certainly followed by the TV crowd. Volleyball is coming on as well. The truth is XLance that all of our athletics are much more palatable on television than as a drive and ticket at a venue. I actually think those markets can be developed, certainly as niche followings, but enough to make their content in odd hours more appealing.

It's a new new paradigm JR. The old new paradigm didn't last very long.
04-cheers
09-27-2014 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why? - XLance - 09-27-2014 09:35 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-05-2020, 09:48 PM
ok - Transic_nyc - 05-06-2020, 12:30 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-13-2020, 11:50 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 05-14-2020, 02:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.