Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why?
(08-31-2014 03:04 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(08-31-2014 01:45 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(08-30-2014 08:48 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-30-2014 08:33 PM)john01992 Wrote:  "Not everyone is as excited to join your league as you think"

I only say this because Big Ten fans just went through a painful lesson on this during realignment. Even obvious moves like FSU/Clemson to the SEC are not so obvious. Schools value the lesser things such as olympic sports, academic association, and having an easier SOS.

I think FSU wanting to leave the ACC was WAY overblown by people who had a clear agenda for the ACC to fail. I think if there was any consideration for FSU about leaving the ACC it was in the form of resentment about the way the ACC disregarded FSU's thoughts and feelings on how the conference should be run during conference realignment with SU/Pitt.

If money is a factor in forcing an ACC school to leave for the SEC, it will be due to a gap so massive that schools will feel that it is at the point of "do or die."

13/14 schools don't sign a GOR + $53 mill exit fee if they didn't have an extremely strong willpower to remain in their current league.

1. They signed out of fear of losing any leverage if things disintegrated. There is no leverage for better deals in a run. And it was very clear there wouldn't be spots for everyone.

2. The difference will wind up being 8 figures within a few years. Considering the starting earning points of the Big 10 and SEC and how they dominate the top twenty spots in total earnings, such a difference would only enhance a gigantic gap that already exists. Comparing a couple of million on a TV contract is not even 20% of the total picture John. But when the TV money gap grows then the top earners that gross over 100 million a year will have surpassed the top schools in the ACC by as much as 30 million a year, and in some case even a lot more, depending upon the schools compared.

3. I have no doubt but what the core of the ACC wants to stay together, but I wouldn't put much stock in how loyal the football first schools will remain in the face of a chasm that particularly affects Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Miami. Virginia Tech has some decisions to make too. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Big 10 goes to 16 with Virginia Tech and Kansas at some point. For Wake Forest, Virginia, and Duke it is a moot issue, they will try to stay together. North Carolina will have to do some soul searching at that time. But if the Heels stay as well then the ACC will survive and limp on as a great basketball conference inclusive of Pitt and Syracuse, but it will essentially become the best G6 conference in football and remain a power conference in hoops. Notre Dame? Who knows? I wouldn't even be surprised if Georgia Tech and Miami consciously made the decision to accept a de-emphasis in football and remain with a solid academic core.

But with the right influx of credentials in pigskin I think all of it changes and a solid P4 is born.

JR you were doing just great until your last sentence.
1)Let's see you had Va. Tech and Kansas going to the B1G. That's OK, the ACC thrived for over 50 years without Va. Tech, and even though they would be missed, I'm sure the ACC could do just fine without them.
2) No offense to you, but if Carolina's decision came down to the SEC or staying with Duke, UVa, and Wake Forest (and as you said Syracuse and Pitt) well like I said no offense but we won't be bowing to Birmingham. 3)AND as you said if Georgia Tech and Miami decided to stick around too, with Notre Dame (allowing them to keep the same partial deal they already have). Wow! We couldn't ask for anything more.
4) The rest:
Florida State...It's really been nice, but...........I hope they don't let the door hit them in the rear.
NC State? They aren't going anywhere. In one word: politics.
Boston College? Where else are they going to go?
Louisville could go with Florida State to the SEC or stay with the other group in the great basketball league you spoke of. The smart play for the SEC would be to take Louisville. Louisville would strengthen the SEC where they are most vulnerable (their northern perimeter).
So in your scenario, it all comes down to Clemson's decision.
Well I could give you a litany of reasons for the Tigers to go in either direction.

Well I'm going with my gut and say that Clemson stays.04-jawdrop

Now the problem is that the SEC now has 17 teams. Oops! No problem, we can just move the only team in the conference that operates without an athletic department into a situation in which they will have an opportunity to be competitive. And then there is that academic component too. It's a win-win for everyone. You wouldn't see any tears from my side of the fence.04-cheers
X ... the problem for the ACC is despite your dislike for FSU, they remain a super national brand, and your network dollars would crumble if they ever left the ACC. Same goes to a lesser degree with Clemson. Like UT and OU leaving the Big XII.

Medic,
FSU has a good athletic program that continues to get better. My problem with the 'noles is that they are not "team" players. I think that stems from being an independent for so many years. I also think that is where some of the friction between Penn State and the B1G comes from, and it is the primary reason that I don't really care to see Notre Dame as a full time member of the ACC.
And while I agree that FSU is a good network draw, I would not put them on the same level as Texas and Oklahoma would be to the Big 12, or Ohio State and Michigan would be to the B1G, or even Southern Cal would be to the PAC.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 10:20 AM by XLance.)
09-01-2014 10:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the ACC who should we take and why? - XLance - 09-01-2014 10:19 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-05-2020, 09:48 PM
ok - Transic_nyc - 05-06-2020, 12:30 AM
RE: - Transic_nyc - 05-13-2020, 11:50 PM
RE: If ... - Transic_nyc - 05-14-2020, 02:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.