Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Strongest in Mountain West Conference?
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
RE: Strongest in Mountain West Conference?
(10-18-2019 03:27 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(10-17-2019 02:09 PM)ManleyPointer Wrote:  Surprised that at how many people put SDSU way above Fresno. I'd agree more with Wedge on this. They're comparable peers.

Academically, both are well-funded Cal-State schools.

They both hover around 100 in the Director's Cup standings.

SDSU has the better market. Though they have to share it with pro sports, USD & now UCSD. And San Diego feels like an extension of LA & part of PAC country. Fresno may as well be another state.

SDSU has the edge in basketball. Though they weren't great before Fisher. And Fresno is good for about 20 wins.

I'd take Bulldog football over the Aztecs. Deruyter wasn't head coach material. Put that aside & they're consistently solid. Enough to be considered Boise's primary rival. I like what Rocky Long's doing. A lot. It's just that Tedford has a better program.

I agree that Fresno is like another state. Or even another region.

But San Diego is definitely different from LA.

First, it's a LOT slower pace of living. It's still got the vibe of a beach town (albeit one that's a bit overgrown). It's even slower than comparably sized Midwestern cities. LA is more go-go-go like other huge cities.

Second, There's 100,000 active-duty military in San Diego, and 250,000 retired military. The average household is about 3-3.5 people, so that means about 1/3 of San Diego County households are military families.

As a result of the military, San Diego County has always been a lot whiter than LA. It's even whiter than Orange County, and has fewer Hispanic whites too. In fact, I think it's one of the whitest big cities in the USA (after Boston and Seattle). The Census Bureau says that San Diego County is 76% white, 12% Asian, and 5% black.

And San Diego is definitely not PAC country - not even close. I lived there for 3 years and ran into more Michigan fans than UCLA or USC fans.

Where are you getting those numbers? As a native Californian I was shocked to see those numbers since San Diego is on the Mexican border but according to Wikipedia, Hispanics represent 29% of the city of San Diego’s population while they represent 32% of San Diego County. So San Diego is not that white unless you’re counting Hispanics as white which it might happen in the future (Italian-Americans were not considered “white” until recently) but that’s another topic for another day.

As for Cal State-San Diego, I don’t understand the fascination people have with them. They’re an underachiever, they always have been. It’s football program started seeing some success once TCU, Utah and BYU were on the way out. They were supposed to be what Boise State and UCF became but somehow they always fail to deliver on those expectations. They only made it to the Sweet Sixteen twice in Fisher’s 18 seasons and that’s going to be pretty much their ceiling now that he’s gone. Yes, San Diego is one of the nicest locations in the U.S. but SDSU hasn’t capitalized on that yet and the same goes to UNLV but at least they have a NC in basketball. Maybe the new stadium will help but I won’t hold my breath on that one.
10-18-2019 03:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strongest in Mountain West Conference? - UTEPDallas - 10-18-2019 03:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.