Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2022 Transfer Portal / Post Dec. Signing Day
Bookmark and Share
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
RE: 2022 Transfer Portal / Post Dec. Signing Day
(12-30-2022 10:13 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
Holybovine made the right call. It's all about NIL Money. Johnson will not be a pro player (in my opinion), so, make as much as you can your last year. I am disappointed as well, but that is the new face of college football.

Maybe he wants a masters from Cal or BYU instead of EMU?
12-30-2022 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(12-29-2022 06:22 PM)EagleHawk Wrote:  
(12-29-2022 06:13 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(12-29-2022 01:15 PM)EagleHawk Wrote:  Marcellus Johnson has announced he's entering the portal as a grad transfer.
Wondering what the kids intentions are. I doubt a P5 school will be interested in a G5 player that was not all-conference and only has one year remaining. Perhaps he can get in at another G5. Either way he'll likely need to battle for a starting spot - something he already had at EMU. An FCS or D2 is more likely to be interested. Or, he's just wanting to be done with football. If he's still wanting to play FBS then it's a complete gamble and likely isn't worth the risk.

He's already received offers from BYU, Kentucky, and South Carolina per twitter.

Rated #4 OT in the MAC.

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/160...IuT1W08tLw
12-30-2022 01:14 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
(12-30-2022 10:32 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
Holybovine made the right call. It's all about NIL Money. Johnson will not be a pro player (in my opinion), so, make as much as you can your last year. I am disappointed as well, but that is the new face of college football.

The Cow is right, this is the new face of college football, along with bowl game sit outs. At least Johnson played in our bowl game, let's commend him for that.

Perhaps Dan is correct, Marcellus wants a bigger name school on his Masters degree.

I suspect, however, he wants to experience the "Big Time" of college football and gamble that he can compete at the higher level to potentially get drafted. Chad Ryland, after all, went to Maryland and got to play in front of far huger crowds than he would have seen in the MAC even though as a kicker, the competition made little difference. Next season will likely be Johnson's last as a football player, why not spend it in front of 45K fans in Berkley or 62K in Provo? Just my take.
12-30-2022 06:34 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(12-30-2022 06:34 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

The Cow is right, this is the new face of college football, along with bowl game sit outs. At least Johnson played in our bowl game, let's commend him for that.

Perhaps Dan is correct, Marcellus wants a bigger name school on his Masters degree.

I suspect, however, he wants to experience the "Big Time" of college football and gamble that he can compete at the higher level to potentially get drafted. Chad Ryland, after all, went to Maryland and got to play in front of far huger crowds than he would have seen in the MAC even though as a kicker, the competition made little difference. Next season will likely be Johnson's last as a football player, why not spend it in front of 45K fans in Berkley or 62K in Provo? Just my take.
It's very much a gamble. If he ends up not starting at a P5 then his football days are done. If he stays at EMU and becomes all-MAC then he'll be getting the attention of NFL scouts. Roll the dice or play it safe. Good luck to him.

Chad had a nice game today.
12-30-2022 06:45 PM
EagleHawk Offline
Special Teams

Marcellus still picking up offers. Got a couple B12 and B10 today.
12-30-2022 08:19 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(12-30-2022 08:19 PM)EagleHawk Wrote:  Marcellus still picking up offers. Got a couple B12 and B10 today.

He clearly can pick his own path and I'm ok with it. The weird thing is that MAC lineman can absolutely be drafted
CMU had 2 linemen drafted last year

I just wonder (I know it's not up to me) if it's smarter to stay and dominate or go somewhere higher and roll the dice as it relates to draft position
12-30-2022 10:31 PM
masttg Offline
1st String

Agree! and will add: transferring gives players a new cohort of coaches to network with for starting a coaching career. This could be huge for landing a coaching gig. For example, several of CCs coaching GAs played for him previously. Why not make connections that improve your pads of getting a job?
12-30-2022 10:59 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-30-2022 10:31 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  
(12-30-2022 08:19 PM)EagleHawk Wrote:  Marcellus still picking up offers. Got a couple B12 and B10 today.

He clearly can pick his own path and I'm ok with it. The weird thing is that MAC lineman can absolutely be drafted

I just wonder (I know it's not up to me) if it's smarter to stay and dominate or go somewhere higher and roll the dice as it relates to draft position

Good points. If a player asked me...

How did he grade in G5 vs. P5 games? How are his 'meaurables' and are they suitable for P5?

E.g., a G5 WR will be facing P5 DBs who are say 0.1 or 0.2 seconds faster (in the 40). Projecting up just like going from FBS to NFL.

I'd think projecting a kicker, like Ryland, from G5 to P5 isn't that difficult.

I'd think it is much more difficult to project an OL.
12-30-2022 11:04 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(12-30-2022 10:59 PM)masttg Wrote:  

Agree! and will add: transferring gives players a new cohort of coaches to network with for starting a coaching career. This could be huge for landing a coaching gig. For example, several of CCs coaching GAs played for him previously. Why not make connections that improve your pads of getting a job?

Speaking of coaches - lets not act like coaches havent been doing this for decades
12-31-2022 03:26 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

So, here is my early assessment of portal needs....

Subject to change based on if we lose to the portal. IMO I think if guys would have left, they would have by now.

1. Quarterback. (we have Smith returning and we signed a JUCO but CC loves his bandaids, so expect a grad transfer

2. O line. This position needs immediate attention IMO. Just lost Marcellus and we lose Sow and Bates. 3 huge pieces that are gone. We still have Dooley and Howie which is really good. We need Dmitri and Carson Lee to step up and fill in. I suspect we will need to add 2 plug and play guys. This position group seems thin.
[/align]
3. Linebackers. I love Sparacio and Kline but if we switch to a 3 linebacker system, we need more talent.

4. DL/DE... I don't see a lot of attention needed here. I love the younger talent we have here with Carter,Miles, Swindle, Peyton, etc.

5. Secondary...this will still be a deep group. Josh Scott came on strong and is a dude, Mark Lee, Carter, Cam Smith (quickly becoming one of my favorites) Shine and Scandrett and Peavy make this the deepest and most talented room.

6. RB.... Hard to imagine we bring someone in with Samson and Jackson coming back.

7. TE...I have no idea. We lose Oakes but had good production out of Paaske and Gere and we also have Max Reese who I think will be a stud.

8. WR.... Yes I think we bring in a JUCO. We have had way better luck with JUCO rather than portal guys. We lose Hassan and Drummond and we lost Westmoreland. Lassiter and Knue are a great 1-2 punch. We need a 3rd
01-01-2023 08:24 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-01-2023 08:24 AM)steve4840 Wrote:  So, here is my early assessment of portal needs....

Subject to change based on if we lose to the portal. IMO I think if guys would have left, they would have by now.

1. Quarterback. (we have Smith returning and we signed a JUCO but CC loves his bandaids, so expect a grad transfer

2. O line. This position needs immediate attention IMO. Just lost Marcellus and we lose Sow and Bates. 3 huge pieces that are gone. We still have Dooley and Howie which is really good. We need Dmitri and Carson Lee to step up and fill in. I suspect we will need to add 2 plug and play guys. This position group seems thin.
[/align]
3. Linebackers. I love Sparacio and Kline but if we switch to a 3 linebacker system, we need more talent.

4. DL/DE... I don't see a lot of attention needed here. I love the younger talent we have here with Carter,Miles, Swindle, Peyton, etc.

5. Secondary...this will still be a deep group. Josh Scott came on strong and is a dude, Mark Lee, Carter, Cam Smith (quickly becoming one of my favorites) Shine and Scandrett and Peavy make this the deepest and most talented room.

6. RB.... Hard to imagine we bring someone in with Samson and Jackson coming back.

7. TE...I have no idea. We lose Oakes but had good production out of Paaske and Gere and we also have Max Reese who I think will be a stud.

8. WR.... Yes I think we bring in a JUCO. We have had way better luck with JUCO rather than portal guys. We lose Hassan and Drummond and we lost Westmoreland. Lassiter and Knue are a great 1-2 punch. We need a 3rd

I agree 100%.
01-01-2023 09:17 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(12-30-2022 10:31 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  

Good points guys about the CMU linemen. Nevertheless, one was the MAC Offensive POY and the other was first team. Marcellus did not make ANY of the first four teams, he is hardly that highly regarded.

I'm not saying that staying in the MAC is a death sentence for a pro career, but undrafted Andrew Wylie got cut three times by NFL teams before landing with the Chiefs. Marcellus may be wanting to audition in more marquee programs to truly assess his future. Wylie has made a great living with his persistence and dedication, Matt Sexton to date, however, has not. Johnson also has a very marketable degree in construction management, he might prefer to move on if his NFL potential is not that bright.

That said I will proffer one name that I fear we can lose to the transfer portal: Jesus Gomez. He is far better at this stage of his career than Chad Ryland who ranks #3 in the current Draft. He is very, very good.
01-01-2023 07:05 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Nobody goes to UC Berkeley games unless they are hosting Stanford. Nobody. It does have some great grad school programs. BYU on the other hand has spectacular fans. Although the party scene is pretty dry.
01-03-2023 03:31 AM
Lefty One Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Minnesota
Aaron Jackson is in the portal.
01-03-2023 12:32 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(01-03-2023 12:32 PM)Lefty One Wrote:  Aaron Jackson is in the portal.

Not shocking for a grad transfer.
01-03-2023 12:37 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

He's a graduate, right? Maybe he'll land at a GLIAC school to start work on a masters.
01-03-2023 12:37 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(01-03-2023 12:37 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
He's a graduate, right? Maybe he'll land at a GLIAC school to start work on a masters.

all accounts he seems like a good guy Got his degree and made a few plays. Happy for him and best of luck. He never really had a position. Hope he lands somewhere and plays
01-03-2023 03:52 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
(01-03-2023 03:52 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  

all accounts he seems like a good guy Got his degree and made a few plays. Happy for him and best of luck. He never really had a position. Hope he lands somewhere and plays

Well said. One of my favorites from the current team.

Hope he gets to play somewhere.
01-03-2023 07:54 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(01-03-2023 07:54 PM)holybovine Wrote:  
(01-03-2023 03:52 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  

Well said. One of my favorites from the current team.

Hope he gets to play somewhere.

I will always remember him coming in cold vs Miami last season, taking three snaps, and nearly getting a first down on three runs when everyone on the planet knew he was running. He ate a bunch of clock and most importantly kept the ball! He seemed eager to do whatever Coach asked with a whole lot less drama than Grissom. Glad we had him.
01-03-2023 09:35 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Adam Heston in portal.
01-04-2023 04:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.