Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

W&M Cuts 7 Sports
Bookmark and Share
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports
FWIW, my first interactions with Huge were just like the author of the LTE. I was invited to an event being held for a small group of donors at someone's house. It was specifically for one sport, but not the one I played. When I started talking about my sport she quickly cut me off and walked away. My wife looked at me and said "WTF". She's rude and off putting. No other way to explain it.

Another time I was with a very famous athlete alumnus having a personal conversation. Huge came up and literally stepped in front of me and starting talking to the famous alumnus. Famous alumnus was mortified and apologized for Huge's rudeness. These are significant social issues and lack of respect.
09-30-2020 01:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
(09-30-2020 01:00 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  FWIW, my first interactions with Huge were just like the author of the LTE. I was invited to an event being held for a small group of donors at someone's house. It was specifically for one sport, but not the one I played. When I started talking about my sport she quickly cut me off and walked away. My wife looked at me and said "WTF". She's rude and off putting. No other way to explain it.

Another time I was with a very famous athlete alumnus having a personal conversation. Huge came up and literally stepped in front of me and starting talking to the famous alumnus. Famous alumnus was mortified and apologized for Huge's rudeness. These are significant social issues and lack of respect.

That's absurd. With stories like these I don't know how she gets hired places in the first place.
09-30-2020 01:14 PM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
(09-30-2020 01:14 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(09-30-2020 01:00 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  FWIW, my first interactions with Huge were just like the author of the LTE. I was invited to an event being held for a small group of donors at someone's house. It was specifically for one sport, but not the one I played. When I started talking about my sport she quickly cut me off and walked away. My wife looked at me and said "WTF". She's rude and off putting. No other way to explain it.

That's absurd. With stories like these I don't know how she gets hired places in the first place.

Anybody can be polite for a while in front of a hiring committee. But in the long term, people revert to type.
09-30-2020 01:37 PM
Tribal Offline

W&M Cuts 7 Sports
Because she's as sweet as a hummingbird's whiskers to those who she believes can serve her.

A few people didn't like me calling her evil some months ago. Hyperbolic word, of course, and hardly worth the outcry, but I feel most will at least agree she's not a good person.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2020 01:50 PM by Tribal.)
09-30-2020 01:49 PM
DSL Offline
2nd String

In handling almost any matter since arriving, Huge's been like the bull in the china shop.
(china not China)

Nichol busted too many of the good plates and he was forced out.

We need leaders of great competence and communication skills to navigate these challenging times.

In my brief encounters with her, she is definitely not a "people person" and
avoids conversations with the average folks.
09-30-2020 02:30 PM
Swemster Offline
Bench Warmer

My several interactions with Huge (in both structured and non-structured environments) align very closely with these. She is not the embodiment of the warm, welcoming, inclusive William & Mary we know.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2020 02:39 PM by Swemster.)
09-30-2020 02:34 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

I know that I have made bad hires in my career in the past so I am not immune to missing on an interview or two.

However, at the time of her hiring, the Delaware Volleyball story was already out there. I'm sure there was a track record, or at least competent people to be able to speak with at other universities that she previously worked. What I cannot figure out is how the selection committee (or whatever it was) - that was comprised of several former student athletes - missed this bad. I would really like to know what they saw in her to decide she is the right face of Tribe Athletics.

My only 1:1 interaction with her - at a football practice - was similar to what others have already shared.
09-30-2020 02:41 PM
Tribal Offline

W&M Cuts 7 Sports
I met her VERY early on at a MBB game. She was fine, nothing striking either way. What was strange was that she didn't acknowledge my kids. The first time I met Shaver (at a football game), he threw a Tribe nerf football with my sons for a good 20 minutes. Huge wasn't obligated to pay attention and Shaver certainly didn't have to go out of his way, but their contrasting behaviors weren't ignored.

BTW, Dane seems like nothing but a good person and very strong coach. I bet he'd throw a ball, too.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2020 03:15 PM by Tribal.)
09-30-2020 03:14 PM
DSL Offline
2nd String

I'm thinking Huge completed Comey's class in ethical leadership.
09-30-2020 04:17 PM
soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

wow
09-30-2020 04:20 PM
TheRightWay Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WM
(09-29-2020 08:27 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  That article tells a good story. BTW, there were several other folks who were asked to retire besides Daley. Glad he spoke up

Laycock!
09-30-2020 08:01 PM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

(09-30-2020 08:01 PM)TheRightWay Wrote:  
(09-29-2020 08:27 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  That article tells a good story. BTW, there were several other folks who were asked to retire besides Daley. Glad he spoke up

Laycock!

I don’t claim to know the inside story, but the one positive I have to say about Ms. Huge was that Coach Laycock’s transition, by all appearances, was handled with the respect and class he deserved. Maybe it was different behind closed doors, but the public face was positive.

Other coaching changes, not so much.
09-30-2020 08:13 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(09-30-2020 08:13 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  

Laycock!

I don’t claim to know the inside story, but the one positive I have to say about Ms. Huge was that Coach Laycock’s transition, by all appearances, was handled with the respect and class he deserved. Maybe it was different behind closed doors, but the public face was positive.

It's worth noting that he was the only coach she had some kind of previous relationship with. It is also worth noting that her coaching hires for football and basketball seem to be good fits. I don't follow other sports closely enough to be able to comment on them. Don't mistake me for an apologist, I think she's made too many missteps to stay, but, as noted above, I'm pretty happy with both Fischer and London.
09-30-2020 08:28 PM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

(09-30-2020 11:58 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Interesting Letter to the editor in the Flat Hat

http://flathatnews.com/2020/09/29/letter...51isBh7Z9U

Bemoan the arms race but would have been just fine if Huge felt a $20 million natatorium was a priority. Whatever. And yes I realize that wasn’t the main point of this volume of his crusade but it struck me as hypocritical. Because it was.
09-30-2020 08:37 PM
GoTribe70 Offline
Water Engineer

(09-30-2020 08:37 PM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  
(09-30-2020 11:58 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Interesting Letter to the editor in the Flat Hat

http://flathatnews.com/2020/09/29/letter...51isBh7Z9U

Bemoan the arms race but would have been just fine if Huge felt a $20 million natatorium was a priority. Whatever. And yes I realize that wasn’t the main point of this volume of his crusade but it struck me as hypocritical. Because it was.

Is there any confirmation that she has, in fact, applied for a job at Vanderbilt???
10-01-2020 09:03 AM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

(10-01-2020 09:03 AM)GoTribe70 Wrote:  Is there any confirmation that she has, in fact, applied for a job at Vanderbilt???

I haven't seen a confirmation, but I haven't seen a denial either.
10-01-2020 09:54 AM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(09-30-2020 08:28 PM)WMInTheBurg Wrote:  
(09-30-2020 08:13 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  

Laycock!

It's worth noting that he was the only coach she had some kind of previous relationship with. It is also worth noting that her coaching hires for football and basketball seem to be good fits. I don't follow other sports closely enough to be able to comment on them. Don't mistake me for an apologist, I think she's made too many missteps to stay, but, as noted above, I'm pretty happy with both Fischer and London.

I thought that she did a horrendous job with the Shaver firing as is well noted. I have no idea of anything on Coach Laycock and thought his last season was handled with reasonable class. I am sure that it was not in her plans in March of 2019 to hire Coach Fischer. All that being said, I wish nothing but success for both Coach London and Coach Fischer. I would like to see the 7 currently cut sports remain active and/or be reinstated. But, I am not confident that they are going to. I am also expecting nothing to change in the athletic department. As long as there are a few high level donors, the athletic department isn't looking for approval or happiness. Like so many things in the world, it is amazing that people try to boil things down to only 2 choices when wise experienced people know there are more options.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2020 10:24 AM by TribePride91.)
10-01-2020 10:21 AM
ScottyB757 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
On the Save Tribe Swimming Facebook page this morning...

https://616e0124-2790-47d0-96a7-e87abf76...index=true
10-01-2020 10:44 AM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(10-01-2020 10:44 AM)ScottyB757 Wrote:  On the Save Tribe Swimming Facebook page this morning...

That qualifies as an amazing rebuttal to my statement that I expect nothing to change. If nothing does, we are well beyond the massive dumpster fire on March 2019. I don't think anyone should want D.R. Hildebrand as an enemy. Wow.
10-01-2020 11:27 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(10-01-2020 10:44 AM)ScottyB757 Wrote:  On the Save Tribe Swimming Facebook page this morning...

Well a silver lining is that it seems conference affiliation is at least being discussed.
10-01-2020 11:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.