Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

W&M Cuts 7 Sports
Bookmark and Share
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports
(09-27-2020 07:25 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Huge deactivated her Twitter acct.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

There was a post somewhere recently (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) discussing a court ruling that government officials can't block critics from their Twitter accounts (as Ms. Huge has been doing) if those accounts are used for public business (versus a strictly personal account).

I have no idea whether that ruling would apply to an athletic director at a state school (as opposed to, say, elected officials), but I suppose it's one possible reason for her to have taken down her account. She has regularly posted items related to Tribe Athletics, so the "strictly personal" exception wouldn't apply.
09-28-2020 09:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(09-28-2020 09:46 AM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  
(09-27-2020 07:25 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Huge deactivated her Twitter acct.

There was a post somewhere recently (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) discussing a court ruling that government officials can't block critics from their Twitter accounts (as Ms. Huge has been doing) if those accounts are used for public business (versus a strictly personal account).

I have no idea whether that ruling would apply to an athletic director at a state school (as opposed to, say, elected officials), but I suppose it's one possible reason for her to have taken down her account. She has regularly posted items related to Tribe Athletics, so the "strictly personal" exception wouldn't apply.

The deactivated account is listed on the Tribe Athletics website, so maybe that makes it a public account?

https://tribeathletics.com/sports/2016/3...pdate.aspx
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 09:58 AM by Tribe1693.)
09-28-2020 09:51 AM
Tribal Offline

I Root For: William & Mary
W&M Cuts 7 Sports
Maybe she did what Trump should've done 3 yrs ago, cut Twitter out of her communications dept.

09-28-2020 10:05 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(09-28-2020 09:28 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Bucknell is private. Lots of rich kids. Similar to High Point, Richmond or Elon.

State is going to be hurting financially from the pandemic. Maybe theyre looking to offload some debt. Perhaps this is a way to cut ourselves free and go private.
09-28-2020 10:07 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Maybe she's going to be let go. Doubt it right now, but someone certainly is focusing on her communications. Muzzling is a good approach sometimes.
09-28-2020 10:30 AM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

Has anyone heard anything more about the "moderated virtual conversation with Director of Athletics Samantha K. Huge"?

The tweet that was posted on September 22 said "next week". It is now "next week". https://twitter.com/williamandmary/statu...8933173248
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 10:58 AM by Tribe1693.)
09-28-2020 10:57 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
W&M Cuts 7 Sports
(09-28-2020 10:30 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Maybe she's going to be let go. Doubt it right now, but someone certainly is focusing on her communications. Muzzling is a good approach sometimes.

Good point - this could just be one of the moves by the general. Weird on a weekend, but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-28-2020 11:41 AM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

(09-28-2020 10:57 AM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  Has anyone heard anything more about the "moderated virtual conversation with Director of Athletics Samantha K. Huge"?

The tweet that was posted on September 22 said "next week". It is now "next week". https://twitter.com/williamandmary/statu...8933173248

I'm sure it will happen -- they wouldn't tell us something that isn't true.

There's an invitation to submit questions: "Samantha K. Huge will address questions on the topic. More info to come. You can also send questions to @TribeAthletics at askwmathletics@wm.edu "

I wonder if they allow more than one question per person?
09-28-2020 01:12 PM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

(09-28-2020 01:12 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  
(09-28-2020 10:57 AM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  Has anyone heard anything more about the "moderated virtual conversation with Director of Athletics Samantha K. Huge"?

There's an invitation to submit questions: "Samantha K. Huge will address questions on the topic. More info to come. You can also send questions to @TribeAthletics at askwmathletics@wm.edu "

A few questions that come to mind:

- Ms. Huge, you told David Teel of the Richmond Times-Dispatch that W&M "turned over every single rock" in a concerted effort to increase private funding for athletics. Given that the swim team was able to obtain over a million dollars in pledges in less than two weeks, can you describe what these efforts included and, specifically, why potential supporters of these sports were not told they were in imminent danger of being cut?

- In the Open Letter, you stated that "William & Mary Athletics has calculated the annual budget to support these seven sports at a nationally competitive varsity level would be $5.84 million annually." Yet the Open Letter also states that "The full savings from the discontinuation of these seven sports will eventually be $3.66 million annually." Please explain the 59.5% disparity between these two numbers, and specifically state whether it is the Athletic Department's position that any sport that does not fund the full allowable number of scholarships should be eliminated as not "nationally competitive."

- Why did the Athletic Department decide that these seven sports must be fully funded by income from endowments, when none of William & Mary's other sports are?

- Is the men's cross country team included in the cuts? If not, please explain the reasoning behind retaining that team while eliminating men's indoor and outdoor track and field.

- What is the Athletic Department's estimate of the percentage of the income from the seven cut sports' endowments that will now become available as general funds to the Athletic Department? What percentages do you estimate will go elsewhere, and where will they go?

- Please explain why softball and rowing were included in the "9 Sport Endowment Overview" document. Is it, or was it ever, under consideration by the Athletic Department to add those sports while dropping the seven that were cut?
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 01:20 PM by Blow Gym rat.)
09-28-2020 01:19 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

(09-28-2020 01:19 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  

- Ms. Huge, you told David Teel of the Richmond Times-Dispatch that W&M "turned over every single rock" in a concerted effort to increase private funding for athletics. Given that the swim team was able to obtain over a million dollars in pledges in less than two weeks, can you describe what these efforts included and, specifically, why potential supporters of these sports were not told they were in imminent danger of being cut?

- In the Open Letter, you stated that "William & Mary Athletics has calculated the annual budget to support these seven sports at a nationally competitive varsity level would be $5.84 million annually." Yet the Open Letter also states that "The full savings from the discontinuation of these seven sports will eventually be $3.66 million annually." Please explain the 59.5% disparity between these two numbers, and specifically state whether it is the Athletic Department's position that any sport that does not fund the full allowable number of scholarships should be eliminated as not "nationally competitive."

- Why did the Athletic Department decide that these seven sports must be fully funded by income from endowments, when none of William & Mary's other sports are?

- Is the men's cross country team included in the cuts? If not, please explain the reasoning behind retaining that team while eliminating men's indoor and outdoor track and field.

- What is the Athletic Department's estimate of the percentage of the income from the seven cut sports' endowments that will now become available as general funds to the Athletic Department? What percentages do you estimate will go elsewhere, and where will they go?

- Please explain why softball and rowing were included in the "9 Sport Endowment Overview" document. Is it, or was it ever, under consideration by the Athletic Department to add those sports while dropping the seven that were cut?

Good list.
09-28-2020 01:23 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

(09-28-2020 01:23 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  

Good list.

This is a good list.

So BGR - are you going to submit these or would you like us on this board to each take one and submit individually?
09-28-2020 01:39 PM
Tribal Offline

(09-28-2020 01:39 PM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  

Good list.

This is a good list.

So BGR - are you going to submit these or would you like us on this board to each take one and submit individually?
I heard Tribe1693 submitted an inappropriate question at the Town Hall about an effort to reach out to younger and "more energetic" fans because our fanbase is "so old." I hope BGR doesn't ask that one.

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020 01:43 PM by Tribal.)
09-28-2020 01:43 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

(09-28-2020 01:43 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(09-28-2020 01:12 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  I'm sure it will happen -- they wouldn't tell us something that isn't true.

Good list.

This is a good list.

I heard Tribe1693 submitted an inappropriate question at the Town Hall about an effort to reach out to younger and "more energetic" fans because our fanbase is "so old." I hope BGR doesn't ask that one.

A lesson was learned that night, Tribal. 03-rotfl
09-28-2020 01:47 PM
ScottyB757 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M

Good list.

This is a good list.

This is a great list. I’ll happily submit one if you want to split them up.
09-28-2020 01:59 PM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

(09-28-2020 01:59 PM)ScottyB757 Wrote:  
(09-28-2020 01:12 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  I'm sure it will happen -- they wouldn't tell us something that isn't true.

Good list.

This is a good list.

Please split them up -- if I send them all, there's no way they'll all get asked.
09-28-2020 03:50 PM
wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(09-28-2020 03:50 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  
(09-28-2020 01:59 PM)ScottyB757 Wrote:  
(09-28-2020 01:19 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  A few questions that come to mind:

Good list.

This is a good list.

Please split them up -- if I send them all, there's no way they'll all get asked.

How about CCing the BOV & Prez?
09-28-2020 04:05 PM
Florida tribe fan Offline
Special Teams

(09-27-2020 09:23 PM)Tribal Wrote:  PL teams play in a weak conference and get an AB. The same poor conference Bubba wanted us to join in the days when he was Big Tribe. Anyway, why are we going back and forth at each other? Blaming for withholding funds, fussing about phantom sexism, and arguing over semantics? Fire Huge like we should've done 2 years ago, hire a competent leader, and watch fundraising go through the roof. We have the coaches & athletes to win it all so cut bait with the real problem and let's go.

Truth be told, I was being facetious. Even so, while I don't particularly advocate for Patriot League membership, I'm not inclined to disparage PL in comparison to the CAA. It is true that the last time a Patriot League team won an NCAA men's basketball tournament game was 2012 when Lehigh beat Duke; it is also true that the last time a CAA team won an NCAA men's basketball tournament game was 2012, and the program that won it promptly left for the A10 the following summer.

Meanwhile, as powerful as JMU's football program is, Colgate boasts two recent FCS playoff victories against the Dukes. I'll stipulate that the Patriot League is less of a basketball and football slog week in and week out than the CAA; but in reality, both are effectively one bid basketball leagues at this point. Lehigh fans probably don't feel cheated because their victory over Duke came after winning a "weak conference" with an AB. In football maybe a seven or eight win CAA football team has an edge over a similar Patriot League team in reaching the FCS playoffs via at-large, but it probably depends on non-conference performance as much as any other factor. After four or five years I suspect the rivalries would be a wash.

It has been pointed out in this thread that a donor deluge of sustainability dollars for basketball is less likely post-Shaver, post-pandemic, and post-Sep 3 announcement. At the same time there are a good many Tribe fans who harbor a desire to maintain support for 23 sports and at the same time wish to generate better basketball and football results. (Reading this thread one can't help but be reminded of the George Will column where he pointed out US voters simultaneously want a cornucopia of benefits and low taxes.)

Given the financial straits where the athletic department, and College, find themselves, and absent a donor deluge of dollars, one path to explore (or rock to turn over to steal a phrase) is whether there are leagues (existing or to be formed) where the cost of competition (coaches' salaries, travel, COA, etc.) is more manageable than the CAA. I'm not persuaded that this investigation should be any more off limits, or less productive, than cutting seven sports. I can't imagine it's more controversial after what has just transpired.
09-28-2020 07:36 PM
Tribal Offline

W&M Cuts 7 Sports
We are 5-1 vs the PL in football over the past 5 years and we've been near the bottom of the CAA during that time. I can't remember the last time we played a PL team in basketball. The PL may have *A* good team from time to time but they are nowhere near the CAA, from top to bottom, ANY year. This isn't even an argument.

09-28-2020 08:01 PM
Florida tribe fan Offline
Special Teams

(09-28-2020 08:01 PM)Tribal Wrote:  We are 5-1 vs the PL in football over the past 5 years and we've been near the bottom of the CAA during that time. I can't remember the last time we played a PL team in basketball. The PL may have *A* good team from time to time but they are nowhere near the CAA, from top to bottom, ANY year. This isn't even an argument.

Precisely.
09-28-2020 08:03 PM
Tribal Offline

W&M Cuts 7 Sports
RTD

https://richmond.com/sports/college/jerr...f0c36.html

09-29-2020 07:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.