Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Tournament Cancelled
Bookmark and Share
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: NCAA Tournament Cancelled
It will never happen, but there are reports of teams investigating adding a year of eligibility.
03-13-2020 07:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
(03-13-2020 07:45 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  It will never happen, but there are reports of teams investigating adding a year of eligibility.

For spring sports, obviously.
03-13-2020 08:06 AM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
(03-13-2020 12:51 AM)Tribal Wrote:  I don't think wanting to dance is the enemy. How we've gone about accomplishing that lately is where I've soured.

Exactly. The idea of any one thing being "THE goal" of a college athletics program is ridiculous. A program should have many goals. Winning games, and championships, should certainly be one of them, but others also rank high:

- Developing young men and women of character and academic excellence
- Providing opportunities for students to attend who might not otherwise
- Representing the university and its ideals in a first-class way in all respects, not just W-L percentage
- Providing an ongoing connection to the university for alumni and area residents
- Building community spirit and enthusiasm among students
etc. etc. etc.

Without thinking hard I can name any number of universities that have sacrificed one or more of these other goals in pursuit of "THE goal" of championships. I wouldn't send my children, or one red cent, to any of them.

Which of them should W&M emulate going forward?
03-13-2020 09:52 AM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

UNCW tweeted out their basketball team and staff members are self quarantining for 2 weeks.
03-13-2020 10:10 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(03-12-2020 03:59 PM)NC Tribe Wrote:  This may sound like a silly concern, but what about all the schools that would have been at-large teams. Do the coaches get the bonuses they would have gotten?

Seems to the m the committee should still say who would have been in the tournament.

There is a phrase that we all know that is much overused and, in fact, is very often misused. But now is a great time to use it correctly:

I could not care less that some pampered, already overcompensated college basketball coaches might lose a bonus based on NCAAT attendance! (Just my take on it; not meant to minimize anyone else thinking that it is worth discussion).

Re the committee: they could not do that since not all tournaments had even completed yet. For example, Dayton was a lock regardless of how they did in the A-10 tournament. However, say that a team (like George Mason) who had zero chance of going were to actually win the tournament. Then their inclusion would have evicted some other team on the bubble (but not Dayton). So how could the committee claim to have the crystal ball to see such things? Also, there is no reason for the committee to do it because all it would do would be to infuriate the schools who were left out (but thought that they deserved to be in). Why would the committee bring that rancor upon itself for no reason?
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2020 10:49 AM by Zorch.)
03-13-2020 10:46 AM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

(03-13-2020 07:45 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  It will never happen, but there are reports of teams investigating adding a year of eligibility.

This is happening. Spring sport students will have another year of eligibility, with the NCAA looking for what to do with the winter students (this one will most likely be absolutely nothing.)
03-13-2020 12:23 PM
Tribal Offline

(03-13-2020 12:23 PM)TribePride52 Wrote:  

This is happening. Spring sport students will have another year of eligibility, with the NCAA looking for what to do with the winter students (this one will most likely be absolutely nothing.)
Start the push to get Nate back for another year!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2020 12:33 PM by Tribal.)
03-13-2020 12:32 PM
Biggjohn43 Offline
Special Teams

(03-13-2020 12:32 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(03-13-2020 12:23 PM)TribePride52 Wrote:  

Start the push to get Nate back for another year!

The biggest problem I see with this proposal is, what are we gonna do with the signed recruits. we will have no Scollys to give them. IF course, if all we do is bring back Nate, then it would be great, since we have 2 scolly's left and still be able to get a good Point Guard!!
03-13-2020 01:00 PM
Tribe2011 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: W&M
Seems to be momentum gathering for letting seniors in winter sports as well get an additional year. Not sure if that would just be for those whose seasons had not yet ended, but would seem to be a pretty big competitive imbalance if they didn't do it for everyone. Doubt Knight would come back though, and realistically it would not be particularly smart of him to.
03-13-2020 01:28 PM
Tribal Offline

Knight should definitely not return. He has the momentum going into the NBA draft. There's nothing more for him to prove.

03-13-2020 01:32 PM
soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

seems ridiculous to give winter sports students another year.

I get the short term desire but big picture there is no reason to do this.
03-13-2020 02:02 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Will make for a large number of potential grad transfers that otherwise played all 4 years.
03-13-2020 02:06 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
It would be nice to have Barnes back.
03-13-2020 02:21 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Should definitly open the grad transfer market if this year doesn't count eligibility wise along with the large number of senior guys that will graduate.
03-13-2020 03:01 PM
Tribal Offline

It would really hurt HS seniors

03-13-2020 03:17 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2020 02:21 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  It would be nice to have Barnes back.
Not sure if it's in the coaches plans, but why not? See where Andy's head is at as well.

Hell, I'd even welcome back Justin Pierce if he wanted to come back. Not sure how a double transfer would work especially when working towards a graduate degree, but I'm pretty sure that they won't have a scholarship for him next year at UNC.
03-13-2020 03:17 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I haven't seen anything so far indicating that winter sports get an extra year too. Unfortunate as it may be, they finished their season
03-13-2020 03:39 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2020 03:39 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  I haven't seen anything so far indicating that winter sports get an extra year too. Unfortunate as it may be, they finished their season
I think you are right, but the college basketball blue bloods are unhappy that their seniors were denied an NCAA run. No telling how they will rule when the big boys push things.
03-13-2020 03:46 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

The talk is of a one year exception that would allow a school extra scholarships for each Senior that wanted to return.
It is still a bit of a Pandora's Box, so don't know that it will actually happen (for winter sports athletes)
03-13-2020 03:56 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2020 03:56 PM)billymac Wrote:  The talk is of a one year exception that would allow a school extra scholarships for each Senior that wanted to return.
It is still a bit of a Pandora's Box, so don't know that it will actually happen (for winter sports athletes)
Oh, OK. So they expand the scholarships so it doesn't effect the incoming class. Still, tough to do for the non high majors that have to work to secure scholarship monies for 13. Scholarships for 17 isn't easier.
03-13-2020 04:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.