Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
(02-05-2014 12:22 AM)jhawkmvp Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 10:51 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 09:46 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 12:22 AM)JRsec Wrote:  The only really reasonable solution to realignment will never happen. It would be for the 4 California schools, Colorado, and Washington to move to the Big 10. That would free the rest to add enough Western schools plus part of the Big 12 to form a 20 team Western conference. But, apparently the PAC will remain schyzophrenic with half of them being typical Western schools trying to meet the needs of their states and the other half although very strong academically pretending to be as exclusionary as the Ivy League.

While this is an amazing and out of the box solution, the PAC is worthless w/o the California schools.

You didn't read enough of earlier exchanges (Last Post Page 40). The New PAC would be something like this:
North: Boise State, Fresno State, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State
West: Arizona, Arizona State, Nevada, San Diego State, Hawaii
South: Brigham Young, New Mexico, Texas Tech, Utah, Wyoming
East: Baylor, Colorado State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, T.C.U.

Without the academic snobbery the West opens up to other possibilities.

Then the Eastern schools could consolidate a bit further with Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Add Connecticut, Cincinnati, South or Central Florida, Temple, Tulane, Rice and perhaps East Carolina and you would have enough for the SEC and ACC to expand out of as the Big 10 would be done at 20. That is the only way to a 4 x 20 model that would make some sense. It's still not my favorite solution but it sure opens up many more potentialities.

A question for the SEC guys. Sorry if it was discussed earlier, but it is a pretty long thread so I read the most recent 5 pages or so. Would the SEC consider being the first conference to 20 schools? The B1G has talked openly about 16 not being a barrier and that 20 might be their endgame. The SEC seems more close lipped. Most talk I hear about the SEC always centers on adding 2 more schools and stopping; whereas, I see a lot of speculation about the B1G at 20. Seems to me if your rival wants to try to grab all the best properties you would want to beat them to the punch. The PAC almost pulled this off in 2010 by being the first to 16, but failed. Would the SEC go to 20 if they had a shot at the trio of UT, OU, and KU (maybe WVU as well) and say another 2-3 schools from the ACC? Or is 16 the stopping point unless someone else goes beyond it first?

The SEC had a 20 team plan back in 1992. Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech and Miami were the plan back then. Now the whole footprint garbage changes that a bit and the fact that we took South Carolina when Clemson was ambivalent. (Remind me to tell you about the drawbacks to the footprint model long term.)

Today Clemson and F.S.U. are the most SEC like schools out there. I could see us taking 6 to get to 20, but if we did all 6 would come from the ACC. We'd want North Carolina, Duke, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia and Georgia Tech. We'd settle for N.C. State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech and either Miami or Pittsburgh, or Louisville. Why? If we move to 20 there will only be 3 conferences. The PAC will take 8 Big 12 schools and the Big 10 will take 6 ACC schools. That's enough to dissolve both sets of GOR's and the conferences. In a 3 x 20 the idea will be to have 4 divisions geographically grouped to curtail travel expenses for minor sports, to promote close rivalries, and to promote a sense of needed cohesion.

The SEC is never going to tip its hand on expansion. Not about who we are planning to add, or how many we are willing to go to. The only thing Slive has ever said (3 years ago) was that with the right structure the number of teams was not an inhibiting factor within reason.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2014 12:54 AM by JRsec.)
02-05-2014 12:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why?
Back on point. Texas and Oklahoma give us 7 of the top 10 most profitable schools in the nation, two national brands and all around great sports from track and field to swimming and hoops. Kansas and Oklahoma would be great as well. Those are the ideal picks. Any combination of those with Oklahoma State, or Kansas State, or even in the right circumstance and Iowa State or Baylor would be fine. Unlike at the start of the thread I think West Virginia will find their way into the ACC. Texas Tech is too far away unless Texas insisted. And as long as there is any one of Texas, Oklahoma, or Oklahoma State in the mix T.C.U. isn't needed.
02-07-2014 08:00 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(02-07-2014 08:00 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Back on point. Texas and Oklahoma give us 7 of the top 10 most profitable schools in the nation, two national brands and all around great sports from track and field to swimming and hoops. Kansas and Oklahoma would be great as well. Those are the ideal picks. Any combination of those with Oklahoma State, or Kansas State, or even in the right circumstance and Iowa State or Baylor would be fine. Unlike at the start of the thread I think West Virginia will find their way into the ACC. Texas Tech is too far away unless Texas insisted. And as long as there is any one of Texas, Oklahoma, or Oklahoma State in the mix T.C.U. isn't needed.
And the good news is that if the SEC takes Okie State, Mizzou won't have to keep beating them in the Cotton Bowl. 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
02-09-2014 12:32 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

What the hell guys! Let's just get her done. We'll take Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State. The ACC takes Texas and West Virginia at least to 16 or adds T.C.U., Texas Tech, Rice, and Tulane to 20 and we call it quits!
02-13-2014 07:33 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
(02-13-2014 07:33 AM)JRsec Wrote:  What the hell guys! Let's just get her done. We'll take Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State. The ACC takes Texas and West Virginia at least to 16 or adds T.C.U., Texas Tech, Rice, and Tulane to 20 and we call it quits!

I can live with that, but I'd sure like to add FSU and a North Carolina school while we're at it, but that would necessitate a move to 24. Adding 10 schools just doesn't seem likely or reasonable, so I'll accept your six.

Maybe:

WEST

Baylor
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
LSU

NORTH

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Arkansas

SOUTH

Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 03:45 PM by Zombiewoof.)
02-13-2014 03:43 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-13-2014 03:43 PM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  
(02-13-2014 07:33 AM)JRsec Wrote:  What the hell guys! Let's just get her done. We'll take Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State. The ACC takes Texas and West Virginia at least to 16 or adds T.C.U., Texas Tech, Rice, and Tulane to 20 and we call it quits!

I can live with that, but I'd sure like to add FSU and a North Carolina school while we're at it, but that would necessitate a move to 24. Adding 10 schools just doesn't seem likely or reasonable, so I'll accept your six.

Maybe:

WEST

Baylor
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
LSU

NORTH

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Arkansas

SOUTH

Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

It does look pretty good doesn't it? The ACC even looks competitive in that kind of setup. If N.D. and Texas want to be hybrids just include them in a 5 team pod with the requirement that those 4 schools are the baseline of their 6 game commitment to the conference and make them win their pod to get into the conference playoff for the national championship.
02-13-2014 04:05 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU

Maybe:

WEST

Baylor
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
LSU

NORTH

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Arkansas

SOUTH

Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

Not too bad.

Few changes A&M would make is

1) If we HAVE to have Okie recruiting parasites then limit 1 (probably OSU since its unlikely OU will split with UT and will be wherever they are in this future)

2) Put Arkansas back in our pod where they belong with us and LSU

3) Bring in Louisville to take their place

4) No Baylor. Yes, partly its because they pissed us off but more importantly, they have no fan base and what little they have is scattered all over the state. Instead, bring either TCU or SMU to physically plant the SEC in Dallas/Fort Worth. TCU + Arky + OSU + A&M + LSU = a huge chunk of DFW, and the superior SEC product will quickly make it #1 over the PAC or B1G or whatever else is in town.

So:

WEST

Texas Christian
Texas A&M
Arkansas
Oklahoma State
LSU

NORTH

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Louisville

SOUTH

Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 05:07 PM by 10thMountain.)
02-13-2014 05:06 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-13-2014 05:06 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  

Maybe:

WEST

Baylor
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
LSU

NORTH

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Arkansas

SOUTH

Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

Not too bad.

Few changes A&M would make is

1) If we HAVE to have Okie recruiting parasites then limit 1 (probably OSU since its unlikely OU will split with UT and will be wherever they are in this future)

2) Put Arkansas back in our pod where they belong with us and LSU

3) Bring in Louisville to take their place

4) No Baylor. Yes, partly its because they pissed us off but more importantly, they have no fan base and what little they have is scattered all over the state. Instead, bring either TCU or SMU to physically plant the SEC in Dallas/Fort Worth. TCU + Arky + OSU + A&M + LSU = a huge chunk of DFW, and the superior SEC product will quickly make it #1 over the PAC or B1G or whatever else is in town.

So:

WEST

Texas Christian
Texas A&M
Arkansas
Oklahoma State
LSU

NORTH

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Louisville

SOUTH

Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

I could compromise on 1 Oklahoma, but with either Oklahoma we don't need the absolutely poorest choice of the Big 12's ten schools with T.C.U.. The Frogs don't attend well, are not competitive in any sports other than Baseball and Football, and add no real value to the SEC at all. Baylor has better all around sports, better attendance, and better academics. Outside of the fact that you just hate them there is no reason to move to a complete no add fail just out of emotion. If not for the distance to Lubbock I would even suggest them. I purposefully drew up the scenario to avoid any schools from having to move from existing conferences. I think it fair to suggest if the ACC gets both Oklahoma and Texas that would should have the right to claim West Viginia as opposed to the Louisville suggestion.
02-13-2014 06:04 PM
jhawkmvp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kansas

Maybe:

WEST

Baylor
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
LSU

NORTH

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Arkansas

SOUTH

Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

Since you only need 8 schools to find homes (though all 10 would be best) to kill the B12, you could always drop Baylor and KSU and add FSU and NCST. Sorry if I mess up any SEC rivalries, but something like this:

SOUTHWEST
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Texas A&M

NORTHWEST (all former Big 8 schools)
Missouri
Kansas
Iowa State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

CENTRAL
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vanderbilt

EAST
Georgia
Florida
Florida State
NC State
South Carolina

I really like those pods.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 09:23 PM by jhawkmvp.)
02-13-2014 08:59 PM
jhawkmvp Offline
2nd String

(02-13-2014 04:05 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Maybe:

WEST

Baylor
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
LSU

NORTH

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Arkansas

SOUTH

Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

It does look pretty good doesn't it? The ACC even looks competitive in that kind of setup. If N.D. and Texas want to be hybrids just include them in a 5 team pod with the requirement that those 4 schools are the baseline of their 6 game commitment to the conference and make them win their pod to get into the conference playoff for the national championship.

I think that is why the ACC also wants to get freedom to decide it's champion as it sees fit. It could let ND (and possibly Texas in the future) play less games and ND could still play for a conference title with your idea.
02-13-2014 09:12 PM
jhawkmvp Offline
2nd String

TCU was a panic choice for the B12. They are an afterthought in the B12. Unfortunately, I rarely see them mentioned by B12 fans except in negative ways (poor attendence, horrific BB, etc.). I would try to get the ACC to take them and try to land TTU instead. Pushes the SEC west a bit more than they might like, but TTU is a clear 3rd among Texas schools and they draw much better than Baylor, TCU or any other school that is not named Texas or A&M. Or let TCU go to the ACC and try to land WVU instead.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 09:20 PM by jhawkmvp.)
02-13-2014 09:18 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-13-2014 08:59 PM)jhawkmvp Wrote:  

Maybe:

WEST

Baylor
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
LSU

NORTH

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Arkansas

SOUTH

Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

Since you only need 8 schools to find homes (though all 10 would be best) to kill the B12, you could always drop Baylor and KSU and add FSU and NCST. Get ESPN to talk the ACC into letting NCST go to the SEC so they can pick up Baylor or KSU instead to land Texas. Sorry if I mess up any SEC rivalries, but something like this:

SOUTHWEST
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Texas A&M

Missouri
Kansas
Iowa State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

CENTRAL
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vanderbilt

EAST
Georgia
Florida
Florida State
NC State
South Carolina

The only issue I see with you pods is in the East. It's too strong. Place Florida State in Central and place Kentucky in the East and it's more balanced plus it gives almost everyone with the rotation an access to Florida.
02-13-2014 09:21 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-13-2014 09:18 PM)jhawkmvp Wrote:  TCU was a panic choice for the B12. They are an afterthought in the B12. Unfortunately, I rarely see them mentioned by B12 fans except in negative ways (poor attendence, horrific BB, etc.). I would try to get the ACC to take them and try to land TTU instead. Pushes the SEC west a bit more than they might like, but TTU is a clear 3rd among Texas schools and they draw much better than Baylor, TCU or any other school that is not named Texas or A&M. Or let TCU go to the ACC and try to land WVU instead.

Yeah, if we were going to push as far west as Lubbock I would just as soon we add Colorado State for the additional market.
02-13-2014 09:23 PM
jhawkmvp Offline
2nd String

(02-13-2014 09:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Maybe:

WEST

Baylor
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
LSU

NORTH

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Arkansas

SOUTH

Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

Since you only need 8 schools to find homes (though all 10 would be best) to kill the B12, you could always drop Baylor and KSU and add FSU and NCST. Get ESPN to talk the ACC into letting NCST go to the SEC so they can pick up Baylor or KSU instead to land Texas. Sorry if I mess up any SEC rivalries, but something like this:

SOUTHWEST
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Texas A&M

Missouri
Kansas
Iowa State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

CENTRAL
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vanderbilt

EAST
Georgia
Florida
Florida State
NC State
South Carolina

The only issue I see with you pods is in the East. It's too strong. Place Florida State in Central and place Kentucky in the East and it's more balanced plus it gives almost everyone with the rotation an access to Florida.

Yes. FSU leaving might also cause Texas and ND to reconsider the ACC. But then again, without FSU that means the conference is much easier for one or the other to win each year. And they both want to be conference FB alpha dogs. Much easier without FSU.
02-13-2014 09:29 PM
jhawkmvp Offline
2nd String

(02-13-2014 09:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-13-2014 09:18 PM)jhawkmvp Wrote:  TCU was a panic choice for the B12. They are an afterthought in the B12. Unfortunately, I rarely see them mentioned by B12 fans except in negative ways (poor attendence, horrific BB, etc.). I would try to get the ACC to take them and try to land TTU instead. Pushes the SEC west a bit more than they might like, but TTU is a clear 3rd among Texas schools and they draw much better than Baylor, TCU or any other school that is not named Texas or A&M. Or let TCU go to the ACC and try to land WVU instead.

Yeah, if we were going to push as far west as Lubbock I would just as soon we add Colorado State for the additional market.

CSU is a project school at this point. The B12 has given them some benchmarks to try to achieve to possibly get invited down the road; however, they have a long way to go. Plus CO is a pro sports state. I lived there for a decade and everyone talks and follows the pro teams in Denver. Very little college sports talk compared to most B12 and SEC states who are rapid college sports fans.

You would be better off with BYU, if you did not require contiguous states. BYU has big time attendance in FB and BB and already has power school AD revenue. Adding in $30M+ from the SEC would put them over $90M I believe. It also is the number one school in Utah and has a worldwide following of Mormons. Only problem with them is will they play nice and not make any demands (the reason they are not in the B12 instead of TCU). Even Texas thought they were too demanding. I think they are in panic mode now because they realize they are not in demand and are not quite as desirable as they thought previously. I think the next shot they get at a power conference they will come hat in hand.

New Mexico is another possibility. Growing state, great BB attendance, no P5 presence, no pro teams, and a state flagship school. I would actually take them before CSU. If the B12 ever expanded to 16 with no P5 conference schools they would be one of the schools I would want. BYU and UNM would be a great combo for 11 & 12 IMO for the B12. FOX would push for UCF/USF I think. They want some SE sports programming. ESPN for Cincinnati and UConn, I bet, to push back at the B1G, if they think they will lose the B1G T1 soon.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 09:54 PM by jhawkmvp.)
02-13-2014 09:48 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-13-2014 09:48 PM)jhawkmvp Wrote:  

CSU is a project school at this point. The B12 has given them some benchmarks to try to achieve to possibly get invited down the road; however, they have a long way to go. Plus CO is a pro sports state. I lived there for a decade and everyone talks and follows the pro teams in Denver. Very little college sports talk compared to most B12 and SEC states who are rapid college sports fans.

You would be better off with BYU, if you did not require contiguous states. BYU has big time attendance in FB and BB and already has power school AD revenue. Adding in $30M+ from the SEC would put them over $90M I believe. It also is the number one school in Utah and has a worldwide following of Mormons. Only problem with them is will they play nice and not make any demands (the reason they are not in the B12 instead of TCU). Even Texas thought they were too demanding. I think they are in panic mode now because they realize they are not in demand and are not quite as desirable as they thought previously. I think the next shot they get at a power conference they will come hat in hand.

New Mexico is another possibility. Growing state, great BB attendance, no P5 presence, no pro teams, and a state flagship school. I would actually take them before CSU. If the B12 ever expanded to 16 with no P5 conference schools they would be one of the schools I would want. BYU and UNM would be a great combo for 11 & 12 IMO for the B12. FOX would push for UCF/USF I think. They want some SE sports programming. ESPN for Cincinnati and UConn, I bet, to push back at the B1G, if they think they will lose the B1G T1 soon.

The best remaining school on the charts at that number would be Central Florida (and I like their potential), but the SEC isn't going to take in anyone not already in the P5. I have fun playing with these, but in reality they would work it out with the existing Big 12 schools if they ever make a move to absorb them between the SEC & ACC, or the SEC, ACC & Big 10.
02-13-2014 10:07 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM

Maybe:

WEST

Baylor
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
LSU

NORTH

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Arkansas

SOUTH

Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

SOUTHWEST
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Texas A&M

Missouri
Kansas
Iowa State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

CENTRAL
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vanderbilt

EAST
Georgia
Florida
Florida State
NC State
South Carolina

The proposed SEC North reminds me of Missouri's old Big XII North division... The Northwest Division proposal is pretty cool. No Nebraska or Texas. Booyah!!!
02-13-2014 10:56 PM
jhawkmvp Offline
2nd String

(02-13-2014 10:56 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

Maybe:

WEST

Baylor
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
LSU

NORTH

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Arkansas

SOUTH

Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

EAST

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky

SOUTHWEST
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Texas A&M

Missouri
Kansas
Iowa State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

CENTRAL
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vanderbilt

EAST
Georgia
Florida
Florida State
NC State
South Carolina

The proposed SEC North reminds me of Missouri's old Big XII North division... The Northwest Division proposal is pretty cool. No Nebraska or Texas. Booyah!!!

Yes. OU and OSU would elevate the FB so much over the old B12 North and it would be crazy in BB as all 5 schools are traditionally good to great in BB.
02-13-2014 11:07 PM
jml2010 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tx Tech & UNT

I think Tech officials would agree with you unless Texas goes to the SEC. Both administrations have tied ourselves with each other and I seriously doubt one goes without the other. The University of Texas knows the value we offer and what we would offer the PAC 12 or SEC.

Jr knows this from PM's. I have no desire to see Tech in the SEC( although beating aggy again would be well worth it). Location wise we just don't fit despite a good portion of our alums being from/living in Houston & DFW.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing LSU, Ark, Ole Miss and Auburn in Lubbock.
02-13-2014 11:49 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-13-2014 11:49 PM)jml2010 Wrote:  

I think Tech officials would agree with you unless Texas goes to the SEC. Both administrations have tied ourselves with each other and I seriously doubt one goes without the other. The University of Texas knows the value we offer and what we would offer the PAC 12 or SEC.

Jr knows this from PM's. I have no desire to see Tech in the SEC( although beating aggy again would be well worth it). Location wise we just don't fit despite a good portion of our alums being from/living in Houston & DFW.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing LSU, Ark, Ole Miss and Auburn in Lubbock.

If the parsing of the Big 12 comes down to a joint effort of the SEC and ACC under ESPN's direction I certainly wouldn't rule Tech out of the SEC. It just depends on how the breakdown comes. The SEC could very well rather have you than Baylor, and certainly much more likely to want you instead of T.C.U. I guess in that case it would depend on who Texas wanted to take with them to the ACC. Besides, if the SEC has to take both Oklahoma's in such a move we won't need T.C.U. for DFW. Then the question is simply does Baylor prefer the ACC with other like private schools that started as seminaries and would the SEC feel more comfortable a second state school from Texas. If the two have parse to the Big 12 to get the product because the Big 10 or PAC refuse to help then I think two conferences of at least 18 emerge, but more likely two conferences of 20. The best outcome would still be a collaborative effort by all 4, but we'll see. ESPN is going to want to put Texas more directly in their care, maybe Kansas too. And if they buy out FOX's T3 interest in the Sooners then finding cooperation among the PAC and Big 10 may be difficult if not impossible. Then the SEC and ACC would have to divide at least 4 each to get it done. Tech would likely be in that mix if there were no other interested parties in taking you. I doubt Texas leaves you behind.

At 18 each for the SEC and ACC I think Texas Tech and T.C.U. would be left out of the lineup if the PAC showed interest because the two of you give them a nice percentage of the Texas market, not a controlling interest but a good and natural in coming from the West and considering they already have Denver.

But the best configuration for the ACC to be able to more naturally accommodate Texas schools would be the 20 team model. That way they could build a bridge between Florida and Texas by taking Tulane if they wished. The SEC would simply take 6 Big 12 schools. I think since Iowa State would only be contiguous for the SEC and Big 10 if the Big 10 showed no interest in them then under this kind of division the SEC might very well show interest. AAU, good basketball, loyal football following, agriculture and vet schools all fit the SEC profile of about half our schools. So Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State (if the ACC wont take them) Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State plus a Texas school. Baylor or Texas Tech could fill that bill in such a scenario. Baylor is simply closer to the geographical center of the new SEC which would likely be somewhere in Mississippi as opposed the present center of Alabama. But since the divisions would be geographical everyone in your division would already be use to trips to Lubbock so it's not improbable.

The ACC would have some geographical and natural rivalry reasons to take West Virginia, so Texas, Baylor, and T.C.U. would still leave three slots open since Texas would likely be everything but football and committed to 6 conference games likely through the Western Division. You need three more schools for that Western Division. Rice is a natural for Houston and a good mate for Tulane. That forms a bridge to Tallahassee down I 10. So the ACC could utilize that last pick for Cincinnati or Connecticut. That's a nice chunk of inventory for ESPN.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2014 12:38 AM by JRsec.)
02-14-2014 12:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.