CSNbbs
New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year (/thread-920635.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - ODUMONARCHZ1 - 04-14-2021 05:47 PM

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31258180/ncaa-allow-transfers-play-college-football-basketball-sitting-season-report-says

Players will be able to transfer once before they graduate and not sit a year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - Jack Bauer - 04-14-2021 05:56 PM

(04-14-2021 05:47 PM)ODUMONARCHZ1 Wrote:  https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31258180/ncaa-allow-transfers-play-college-football-basketball-sitting-season-report-says

Players will be able to transfer once before they graduate and not sit a year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I don’t mind this rule at all. Fairer to the kids

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - Dowless - 04-14-2021 05:57 PM

NFL, NBA, and MLB free agency season keeps the news cycle going. Why not create a similar atmosphere at the collegiate level?

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - Fort Bend Owl - 04-14-2021 06:26 PM

It's going to be a double edged sword. You'll see a lot more CUSA young stars transferring out, but at the same time, this will create a big cycle of P5 players who aren't getting playing time and transferring into CUSA to get more playing time.

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - Theflash - 04-14-2021 07:31 PM

Don’t like it.

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - Dowless - 04-14-2021 08:32 PM

(04-14-2021 06:26 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  It's going to be a double edged sword. You'll see a lot more CUSA young stars transferring out, but at the same time, this will create a big cycle of P5 players who aren't getting playing time and transferring into CUSA to get more playing time.

I think this will create a bigger divide. As the promising young players leave the busts will come in. Charlotte has not had good success with those P5 transfers that averaged 2 - 8 minutes and 2 ppg in the P5. I don't think you build a quality program with the turnover of a community college.

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - DogsWin1 - 04-14-2021 09:54 PM

"Go prove yourself at a G5 farm club team, then if you do well you can transfer up to a 'Big League' university later".

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - Volkmar - 04-14-2021 10:14 PM

It honestly doesn't matter to me one way or another. We G5'ers have a natural inclination to take the negative view because of the general trend we see favoring P5. But this could honestly go both ways. Think of some 4-Star kids who would generally redshirt at a high profile program who might now commit to a G5 for a year or two to showcase their talents. It'll be interesting to see how much the transfer rates will increase though, hopefully not a drastic increase.

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - HogDawg - 04-14-2021 11:55 PM

(04-14-2021 05:57 PM)Dowless Wrote:  NFL, NBA, and MLB free agency season keeps the news cycle going. Why not create a similar atmosphere at the collegiate level?

.....But every team in the NFL, NBA and MLB has an equal chance to win a title. They don't in FBS college football.

This new transfer rule makes the G5 schools nothing more than a farm system of recruiting for the P5's.

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - MUther - 04-15-2021 04:52 AM

Not to mention what it does to the high school athlete that wants to play college ball at Kentucky, for instance. Work their whole lives with that goal but have zero chance of getting there because Kentucky now only takes sophomore or higher transfers that are proven winners at the mid-major level.

I assume that the major schools will still not be allowed to contact and recruit active roster kids at a mid-major school? We'll see how that goes.

"Who were you on the phone with?" "Oh no one but by the way I'm transferring out asap."

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - MinerInWisconsin - 04-15-2021 10:59 AM

Couple this with NIL and you can bet there will be recruiting directly from rosters but no one will admit it.

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - HogDawg - 04-15-2021 12:31 PM

So, I guess we can start expecting players like Hope Trautwein to transfer to the University of Texas-Austin.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31240353/north-texas-softball-pitcher-hope-trautwein-strikes-all-21-batters-perfect-game

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - ClaudeFunston - 04-15-2021 02:56 PM

Hate it !

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - CardinalBlackTrojan - 04-15-2021 03:16 PM

I don't like it. It gives no incentive for players to keep a commitment to the schools they sign with.

There will most certainly be more G5 players transferring to P5 schools. I expect to see it become common for any of our players that are "Player of the Year" or guys that are listed on a postseason All-America team to jump ship.

The only benefit we get is that the 4-star and 5-star players that can't get any playing time at the P5 level will be more likely to transfer to a G5, instead of going straight to the FCS like they've always done.

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - VA49er - 04-15-2021 03:17 PM

(04-14-2021 08:32 PM)Dowless Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 06:26 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  It's going to be a double edged sword. You'll see a lot more CUSA young stars transferring out, but at the same time, this will create a big cycle of P5 players who aren't getting playing time and transferring into CUSA to get more playing time.

I think this will create a bigger divide. As the promising young players leave the busts will come in. Charlotte has not had good success with those P5 transfers that averaged 2 - 8 minutes and 2 ppg in the P5. I don't think you build a quality program with the turnover of a community college.

I tend to agree. We'll get their scrubs and they'll get our stars. This definitely is to the advantage of the P5 schools.

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - UAB Schnauzer - 04-15-2021 03:17 PM

This could also mean a net improvement in talent for us. We may lose a few stars to big schools but we will get a lot of good players looking for playing time. The third string OL and DB from Alabama is probably better than our 1st string

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - BigBlueMonarch - 04-15-2021 06:40 PM

I disagree, this is going to create a large divide between the P5 and the rest. But the NCAA and the conference have created this mess by being money hungry and not allowing any of that money to be shared with the players that make them that money.

If they got rid of the 4 in 5 rule (4 years of eligibility in 5 years) that would cut down on the transferring. Players have already shown they are willing to sit a year, so now they will get a free transfer for free and then be willing to sit a year if they want to transfer again. They can do that and still keep 4 years of playing time. If they got rid of the 5 year plan (say with exceptions for a player that suffers a serious injury, or that red shirts) then there is a penalty for that second transfer, only three years of playing time. Or allow an immediate 2nd transfer, but you loose a year of eligibility. It won't happen but I think eventually the coaches are going to push back and want some sort of control over who is on their team.

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - FriscoDawg - 04-15-2021 10:58 PM

I have no problem with free transfers for three reasons:

1) Bonafide family hardship issues
2) Head coaching changes
3) NCAA or conference sanctions that include a postseason ban

All other transfers should require sitting out a year.

This is another big school power grab.

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - MUther - 04-15-2021 11:08 PM

(04-15-2021 10:58 PM)FriscoDawg Wrote:  I have no problem with free transfers for three reasons:

2) Head coaching changes

I'd add education opportunity to that. Like the old days when someone would transfer because school Y had a graduate broadcasting degree that was better or more prestigious than school X or X didn't have one. I would not punish a kid for transferring for academic reasons, especially if they'd already earned an undergraduate degree.

RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year - FriscoDawg - 04-15-2021 11:33 PM

(04-15-2021 11:08 PM)MUther Wrote:  
(04-15-2021 10:58 PM)FriscoDawg Wrote:  I have no problem with free transfers for three reasons:

2) Head coaching changes

I'd add education opportunity to that. Like the old days when someone would transfer because school Y had a graduate broadcasting degree that was better or more prestigious than school X or X didn't have one. I would not punish a kid for transferring for academic reasons, especially if they'd already earned an undergraduate degree.
That would fall under the graduate transfer rule or existing rules when a degree program is terminated.