Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year
Bookmark and Share
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year
https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...eport-says

Players will be able to transfer once before they graduate and not sit a year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
04-14-2021 05:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jack Bauer Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
RE: New NCAA rule: Transfer without sitting a year
(04-14-2021 05:47 PM)ODUMONARCHZ1 Wrote:  https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...eport-says

Players will be able to transfer once before they graduate and not sit a year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I don’t mind this rule at all. Fairer to the kids
04-14-2021 05:56 PM
Dowless Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
NFL, NBA, and MLB free agency season keeps the news cycle going. Why not create a similar atmosphere at the collegiate level?
04-14-2021 05:57 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
It's going to be a double edged sword. You'll see a lot more CUSA young stars transferring out, but at the same time, this will create a big cycle of P5 players who aren't getting playing time and transferring into CUSA to get more playing time.
04-14-2021 06:26 PM
Theflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
Don’t like it.
04-14-2021 07:31 PM
Dowless Offline
Special Teams

(04-14-2021 06:26 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  It's going to be a double edged sword. You'll see a lot more CUSA young stars transferring out, but at the same time, this will create a big cycle of P5 players who aren't getting playing time and transferring into CUSA to get more playing time.

I think this will create a bigger divide. As the promising young players leave the busts will come in. Charlotte has not had good success with those P5 transfers that averaged 2 - 8 minutes and 2 ppg in the P5. I don't think you build a quality program with the turnover of a community college.
04-14-2021 08:32 PM
Advertisement

DogsWin1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
"Go prove yourself at a G5 farm club team, then if you do well you can transfer up to a 'Big League' university later".
04-14-2021 09:54 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
It honestly doesn't matter to me one way or another. We G5'ers have a natural inclination to take the negative view because of the general trend we see favoring P5. But this could honestly go both ways. Think of some 4-Star kids who would generally redshirt at a high profile program who might now commit to a G5 for a year or two to showcase their talents. It'll be interesting to see how much the transfer rates will increase though, hopefully not a drastic increase.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2021 10:15 PM by Volkmar.)
04-14-2021 10:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
(04-14-2021 05:57 PM)Dowless Wrote:  NFL, NBA, and MLB free agency season keeps the news cycle going. Why not create a similar atmosphere at the collegiate level?

.....But every team in the NFL, NBA and MLB has an equal chance to win a title. They don't in FBS college football.

This new transfer rule makes the G5 schools nothing more than a farm system of recruiting for the P5's.
04-14-2021 11:55 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
Not to mention what it does to the high school athlete that wants to play college ball at Kentucky, for instance. Work their whole lives with that goal but have zero chance of getting there because Kentucky now only takes sophomore or higher transfers that are proven winners at the mid-major level.

I assume that the major schools will still not be allowed to contact and recruit active roster kids at a mid-major school? We'll see how that goes.

"Who were you on the phone with?" "Oh no one but by the way I'm transferring out asap."
04-15-2021 04:52 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Couple this with NIL and you can bet there will be recruiting directly from rosters but no one will admit it.
04-15-2021 10:59 AM
Advertisement

HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
So, I guess we can start expecting players like Hope Trautwein to transfer to the University of Texas-Austin.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...rfect-game
04-15-2021 12:31 PM
ClaudeFunston Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UNT
Hate it !
04-15-2021 02:56 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
I don't like it. It gives no incentive for players to keep a commitment to the schools they sign with.

There will most certainly be more G5 players transferring to P5 schools. I expect to see it become common for any of our players that are "Player of the Year" or guys that are listed on a postseason All-America team to jump ship.

The only benefit we get is that the 4-star and 5-star players that can't get any playing time at the P5 level will be more likely to transfer to a G5, instead of going straight to the FCS like they've always done.
04-15-2021 03:16 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(04-14-2021 08:32 PM)Dowless Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 06:26 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  It's going to be a double edged sword. You'll see a lot more CUSA young stars transferring out, but at the same time, this will create a big cycle of P5 players who aren't getting playing time and transferring into CUSA to get more playing time.

I think this will create a bigger divide. As the promising young players leave the busts will come in. Charlotte has not had good success with those P5 transfers that averaged 2 - 8 minutes and 2 ppg in the P5. I don't think you build a quality program with the turnover of a community college.

I tend to agree. We'll get their scrubs and they'll get our stars. This definitely is to the advantage of the P5 schools.
04-15-2021 03:17 PM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
This could also mean a net improvement in talent for us. We may lose a few stars to big schools but we will get a lot of good players looking for playing time. The third string OL and DB from Alabama is probably better than our 1st string
04-15-2021 03:17 PM
Advertisement

BigBlueMonarch Online
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University

I disagree, this is going to create a large divide between the P5 and the rest. But the NCAA and the conference have created this mess by being money hungry and not allowing any of that money to be shared with the players that make them that money.

If they got rid of the 4 in 5 rule (4 years of eligibility in 5 years) that would cut down on the transferring. Players have already shown they are willing to sit a year, so now they will get a free transfer for free and then be willing to sit a year if they want to transfer again. They can do that and still keep 4 years of playing time. If they got rid of the 5 year plan (say with exceptions for a player that suffers a serious injury, or that red shirts) then there is a penalty for that second transfer, only three years of playing time. Or allow an immediate 2nd transfer, but you loose a year of eligibility. It won't happen but I think eventually the coaches are going to push back and want some sort of control over who is on their team.
04-15-2021 06:40 PM
FriscoDawg Offline
Special Teams

I have no problem with free transfers for three reasons:

1) Bonafide family hardship issues
2) Head coaching changes
3) NCAA or conference sanctions that include a postseason ban

All other transfers should require sitting out a year.

This is another big school power grab.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2021 11:02 PM by FriscoDawg.)
04-15-2021 10:58 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
(04-15-2021 10:58 PM)FriscoDawg Wrote:  I have no problem with free transfers for three reasons:

2) Head coaching changes

I'd add education opportunity to that. Like the old days when someone would transfer because school Y had a graduate broadcasting degree that was better or more prestigious than school X or X didn't have one. I would not punish a kid for transferring for academic reasons, especially if they'd already earned an undergraduate degree.
04-15-2021 11:08 PM
FriscoDawg Offline
Special Teams

(04-15-2021 11:08 PM)MUther Wrote:  
(04-15-2021 10:58 PM)FriscoDawg Wrote:  I have no problem with free transfers for three reasons:

2) Head coaching changes

I'd add education opportunity to that. Like the old days when someone would transfer because school Y had a graduate broadcasting degree that was better or more prestigious than school X or X didn't have one. I would not punish a kid for transferring for academic reasons, especially if they'd already earned an undergraduate degree.
That would fall under the graduate transfer rule or existing rules when a degree program is terminated.
04-15-2021 11:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.