CSNbbs
ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 (/thread-917014.html)

Pages: 1 2

ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - Alanda - 02-18-2021 04:24 PM

Biggest offseason question for each college football team in the Way-Too-Early Top 25

Quote:11. Cincinnati Bearcats: Can a new coordinator keep the same elite defense?

Can new defensive coordinator Mike Tressel uphold the standard set by predecessor Marcus Freeman? The Bearcats' biggest strength was in their defense, which was one of the top in the country, and finished No. 5 in the final SP+ rankings, and typically was in the top three for most of the season. Luckily for Tressel, the Bearcats got a couple of surprises in the returns of Curtis Brooks and Marcus Brown, who took advantage of the added year of eligibility by the NCAA and gave Cincinnati more depth than expected on the defensive line. With consecutive Power 5 road games at Indiana and Notre Dame, Tressel will have an opportunity to show that the expectation of a smooth transition of power between him and Freeman wasn't a lofty one at all. -- Lyles

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - robertfoshizzle - 02-18-2021 04:50 PM

(02-18-2021 04:24 PM)Alanda Wrote:  Biggest offseason question for each college football team in the Way-Too-Early Top 25

Quote:11. Cincinnati Bearcats: Can a new coordinator keep the same elite defense?

Can new defensive coordinator Mike Tressel uphold the standard set by predecessor Marcus Freeman? The Bearcats' biggest strength was in their defense, which was one of the top in the country, and finished No. 5 in the final SP+ rankings, and typically was in the top three for most of the season. Luckily for Tressel, the Bearcats got a couple of surprises in the returns of Curtis Brooks and Marcus Brown, who took advantage of the added year of eligibility by the NCAA and gave Cincinnati more depth than expected on the defensive line. With consecutive Power 5 road games at Indiana and Notre Dame, Tressel will have an opportunity to show that the expectation of a smooth transition of power between him and Freeman wasn't a lofty one at all. -- Lyles

I'm glad we're getting love. But the truth is, if a P5 school finished 2020 ranked 8th and returned as much talent as we do (16 of 22 starters by my count), they would be top 5 in the preseason polls. The bias is just so frustrating.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - shere khan - 02-19-2021 12:24 AM

(02-18-2021 04:50 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  
(02-18-2021 04:24 PM)Alanda Wrote:  Biggest offseason question for each college football team in the Way-Too-Early Top 25

I'm glad we're getting love. But the truth is, if a P5 school finished 2020 ranked 8th and returned as much talent as we do (16 of 22 starters by my count), they would be top 5 in the preseason polls. The bias is just so frustrating.

Preseason 11th, if it holds, is within striking distance.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - Fishpro10987 - 02-19-2021 01:11 AM

I get your view on this, but 11 is a good starting point for 'our kind.' Don't know your OOC schedule, but whatever you do, whip 'em.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - WhoseHouse? - 02-19-2021 01:25 AM

(02-19-2021 01:11 AM)Fishpro10987 Wrote:  

I get your view on this, but 11 is a good starting point for 'our kind.' Don't know your OOC schedule, but whatever you do, whip 'em.

Someone check me on this but I think it would be the highest preseason ranking for a G5 team ever.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - Fishpro10987 - 02-19-2021 01:57 AM

2 Sunbelt teams, 1 AAC team, and none from the G3.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - CliftonAve - 02-19-2021 05:33 AM

At Notre Dame and at Indiana; plus Miami Ohio and Murray State.

If the Bearcats pull it all off Gary Barta is going to have serious ‘splainin to do when they rank us #6 in the last CFP ranking.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - 8BitPirate - 02-19-2021 09:27 AM

Cindy should be in the Top 5 by the time ECU beats'em down for our 5th win of the season.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - CliftonAve - 02-19-2021 09:41 AM

(02-19-2021 09:27 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  Cindy should be in the Top 5 by the time ECU beats'em down for our 5th win of the season.

If UC runs the table and drops the game against 4-7 ECU then shame on them.

After last year I know the Pirates will be fired up for this one. Your coach looked he wanted to take a swing at Luke Fickell after the game--- of course that would have been a major mistake if he did, Luke Fickell was a three time undefeated state wrestling champion. If you believe some locker room legends he has apparently Mike Vrabel and a younger Marcus Freeman tap out and different points.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - MagicKnightmare - 02-19-2021 02:00 PM

(02-19-2021 01:25 AM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  

Someone check me on this but I think it would be the highest preseason ranking for a G5 team ever.

AAC for sure if it holds. I think we were 21 in 2018 and 17 in 2019.

As for G5, pretty sure Boise had some ridiculously high preseason rankings in there.

Yup.
Boise #3 and TCU #5 in 2010.
Boise #5 in 2011.

Granted that was over a decade ago, but they were knocking on the door in the WAC.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - geosnooker2000 - 02-19-2021 02:29 PM

(02-19-2021 02:00 PM)MagicKnightmare Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 01:25 AM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  

AAC for sure if it holds. I think we were 21 in 2018 and 17 in 2019.

As for G5, pretty sure Boise had some ridiculously high preseason rankings in there.

Yup.
Boise #3 and TCU #5 in 2010.
Boise #5 in 2011.

Granted that was over a decade ago, but they were knocking on the door in the WAC.

Yeah, but back then, they knew all they had to do was set the glass ceiling @ #3... not #5.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - NoQuarterBrigade - 02-19-2021 03:01 PM

(02-19-2021 09:41 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 09:27 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  Cindy should be in the Top 5 by the time ECU beats'em down for our 8th win of the season.

Quote:If UC runs the table and drops the game against 7-4 ECU then shame on them.

You both apparently had typos. I fixed them for you. 07-coffee3

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - bill dazzle - 02-19-2021 03:22 PM

If Cincy goes 14-0 and finishes No. 3 in the final polls, I shall celebrate in a manner for which explanation on this board would unnerve even the most rough-and-tumble (and sometimes bordering on downright nasty) csnbbs.com posters.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - knightmite - 02-19-2021 07:15 PM

(02-19-2021 12:24 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

The only thing any P6 team is in striking distance of is #5. Hell will freeze over before we would make the playoff.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - Bear Catlett - 02-19-2021 07:40 PM

If we went 13-0 with the AAC title and road wins against two P5 teams, one being ND... how could they keep us out???

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - robertfoshizzle - 02-19-2021 08:34 PM

(02-19-2021 07:40 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  If we went 13-0 with the AAC title and road wins against two P5 teams, one being ND... how could they keep us out???

Knowing our luck, it will end up being the year there are 4 undefeated P5 champions.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - shere khan - 02-20-2021 11:11 AM

(02-19-2021 07:40 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  If we went 13-0 with the AAC title and road wins against two P5 teams, one being ND... how could they keep us out???

They couldnt, imo.

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - Hurricane Drummer - 02-20-2021 11:23 AM

(02-19-2021 07:15 PM)knightmite Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 12:24 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

The only thing any P6 team is in striking distance of is #5. Hell will freeze over before we would make the playoff.

Well, it did just snow in Houston...

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - covingtontiger - 02-22-2021 08:18 AM

Is this what they call "counting your chickens before they hatch"?

RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25 - CliftonAve - 02-22-2021 08:41 AM

(02-22-2021 08:18 AM)covingtontiger Wrote:  

Is this what they call "counting your chickens before they hatch"?

I believe he said “if” not “when”. He was playing out the exercise brought up in the article about the OOC opponent and whether running the table would be enough to get them a playoff spot.