Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25
Biggest offseason question for each college football team in the Way-Too-Early Top 25

Quote:11. Cincinnati Bearcats: Can a new coordinator keep the same elite defense?

Can new defensive coordinator Mike Tressel uphold the standard set by predecessor Marcus Freeman? The Bearcats' biggest strength was in their defense, which was one of the top in the country, and finished No. 5 in the final SP+ rankings, and typically was in the top three for most of the season. Luckily for Tressel, the Bearcats got a couple of surprises in the returns of Curtis Brooks and Marcus Brown, who took advantage of the added year of eligibility by the NCAA and gave Cincinnati more depth than expected on the defensive line. With consecutive Power 5 road games at Indiana and Notre Dame, Tressel will have an opportunity to show that the expectation of a smooth transition of power between him and Freeman wasn't a lofty one at all. -- Lyles
02-18-2021 04:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25
(02-18-2021 04:24 PM)Alanda Wrote:  Biggest offseason question for each college football team in the Way-Too-Early Top 25

Quote:11. Cincinnati Bearcats: Can a new coordinator keep the same elite defense?

Can new defensive coordinator Mike Tressel uphold the standard set by predecessor Marcus Freeman? The Bearcats' biggest strength was in their defense, which was one of the top in the country, and finished No. 5 in the final SP+ rankings, and typically was in the top three for most of the season. Luckily for Tressel, the Bearcats got a couple of surprises in the returns of Curtis Brooks and Marcus Brown, who took advantage of the added year of eligibility by the NCAA and gave Cincinnati more depth than expected on the defensive line. With consecutive Power 5 road games at Indiana and Notre Dame, Tressel will have an opportunity to show that the expectation of a smooth transition of power between him and Freeman wasn't a lofty one at all. -- Lyles

I'm glad we're getting love. But the truth is, if a P5 school finished 2020 ranked 8th and returned as much talent as we do (16 of 22 starters by my count), they would be top 5 in the preseason polls. The bias is just so frustrating.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2021 04:51 PM by robertfoshizzle.)
02-18-2021 04:50 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(02-18-2021 04:50 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  
(02-18-2021 04:24 PM)Alanda Wrote:  Biggest offseason question for each college football team in the Way-Too-Early Top 25

I'm glad we're getting love. But the truth is, if a P5 school finished 2020 ranked 8th and returned as much talent as we do (16 of 22 starters by my count), they would be top 5 in the preseason polls. The bias is just so frustrating.

Preseason 11th, if it holds, is within striking distance.
02-19-2021 12:24 AM
Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple

I get your view on this, but 11 is a good starting point for 'our kind.' Don't know your OOC schedule, but whatever you do, whip 'em.
02-19-2021 01:11 AM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
(02-19-2021 01:11 AM)Fishpro10987 Wrote:  

I get your view on this, but 11 is a good starting point for 'our kind.' Don't know your OOC schedule, but whatever you do, whip 'em.

Someone check me on this but I think it would be the highest preseason ranking for a G5 team ever.
02-19-2021 01:25 AM
Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
2 Sunbelt teams, 1 AAC team, and none from the G3.
02-19-2021 01:57 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert

At Notre Dame and at Indiana; plus Miami Ohio and Murray State.

If the Bearcats pull it all off Gary Barta is going to have serious ‘splainin to do when they rank us #6 in the last CFP ranking.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021 05:34 AM by CliftonAve.)
02-19-2021 05:33 AM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
Cindy should be in the Top 5 by the time ECU beats'em down for our 5th win of the season.
02-19-2021 09:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(02-19-2021 09:27 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  Cindy should be in the Top 5 by the time ECU beats'em down for our 5th win of the season.

If UC runs the table and drops the game against 4-7 ECU then shame on them.

After last year I know the Pirates will be fired up for this one. Your coach looked he wanted to take a swing at Luke Fickell after the game--- of course that would have been a major mistake if he did, Luke Fickell was a three time undefeated state wrestling champion. If you believe some locker room legends he has apparently Mike Vrabel and a younger Marcus Freeman tap out and different points.
02-19-2021 09:41 AM
MagicKnightmare Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(02-19-2021 01:25 AM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  

Someone check me on this but I think it would be the highest preseason ranking for a G5 team ever.

AAC for sure if it holds. I think we were 21 in 2018 and 17 in 2019.

As for G5, pretty sure Boise had some ridiculously high preseason rankings in there.

Yup.
Boise #3 and TCU #5 in 2010.
Boise #5 in 2011.

Granted that was over a decade ago, but they were knocking on the door in the WAC.
02-19-2021 02:00 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(02-19-2021 02:00 PM)MagicKnightmare Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 01:25 AM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  

AAC for sure if it holds. I think we were 21 in 2018 and 17 in 2019.

As for G5, pretty sure Boise had some ridiculously high preseason rankings in there.

Yup.
Boise #3 and TCU #5 in 2010.
Boise #5 in 2011.

Granted that was over a decade ago, but they were knocking on the door in the WAC.

Yeah, but back then, they knew all they had to do was set the glass ceiling @ #3... not #5.
02-19-2021 02:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
(02-19-2021 09:41 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 09:27 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  Cindy should be in the Top 5 by the time ECU beats'em down for our 8th win of the season.

Quote:If UC runs the table and drops the game against 7-4 ECU then shame on them.

You both apparently had typos. I fixed them for you. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021 03:05 PM by NoQuarterBrigade.)
02-19-2021 03:01 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
If Cincy goes 14-0 and finishes No. 3 in the final polls, I shall celebrate in a manner for which explanation on this board would unnerve even the most rough-and-tumble (and sometimes bordering on downright nasty) csnbbs.com posters.
02-19-2021 03:22 PM
knightmite Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(02-19-2021 12:24 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

The only thing any P6 team is in striking distance of is #5. Hell will freeze over before we would make the playoff.
02-19-2021 07:15 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
If we went 13-0 with the AAC title and road wins against two P5 teams, one being ND... how could they keep us out???
02-19-2021 07:40 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-19-2021 07:40 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  If we went 13-0 with the AAC title and road wins against two P5 teams, one being ND... how could they keep us out???

Knowing our luck, it will end up being the year there are 4 undefeated P5 champions.
02-19-2021 08:34 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(02-19-2021 07:40 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  If we went 13-0 with the AAC title and road wins against two P5 teams, one being ND... how could they keep us out???

They couldnt, imo.
02-20-2021 11:11 AM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(02-19-2021 07:15 PM)knightmite Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 12:24 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

The only thing any P6 team is in striking distance of is #5. Hell will freeze over before we would make the playoff.

Well, it did just snow in Houston...
02-20-2021 11:23 AM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators

Is this what they call "counting your chickens before they hatch"?
02-22-2021 08:18 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(02-22-2021 08:18 AM)covingtontiger Wrote:  

Is this what they call "counting your chickens before they hatch"?

I believe he said “if” not “when”. He was playing out the exercise brought up in the article about the OOC opponent and whether running the table would be enough to get them a playoff spot.
02-22-2021 08:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.