CSNbbs
Fuente en Fuego - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Fuente en Fuego (/thread-892477.html)

Pages: 1 2

Fuente en Fuego - green - 01-14-2020 08:33 PM

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1217240503135227904

ON TAP

RE: Fuente en Fuego - georgia_tech_swagger - 01-14-2020 08:44 PM

Boy that's a weird one.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - Garrettabc - 01-14-2020 09:08 PM

Would suck if true. Who would you get?

RE: Fuente en Fuego - ChrisLords - 01-14-2020 10:29 PM

He's making 4mil now. What are they going to offer him 6mil? I'm not sure he's worth that.

He does want to get back to Texas eventually. So, it is a good fit.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - domer1978 - 01-14-2020 10:50 PM

(01-14-2020 10:29 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  He's making 4mil now. What are they going to offer him 6mil? I'm not sure he's worth that.

If he doesn't get it would VT take back with open arms? Obviously he wants out. I do not understand this move at all if he takes the job.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - Hokie Mark - 01-14-2020 10:58 PM

(01-14-2020 10:50 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  
(01-14-2020 10:29 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  He's making 4mil now. What are they going to offer him 6mil? I'm not sure he's worth that.

If he doesn't get it would VT take back with open arms? Obviously he wants out. I do not understand this move at all if he takes the job.

Something strange has been going on in the program for a couple of years now, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with X's and O's...

RE: Fuente en Fuego - domer1978 - 01-14-2020 11:07 PM

(01-14-2020 10:58 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(01-14-2020 10:50 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  

Something strange has been going on in the program for a couple of years now, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with X's and O's...

VT in my opinion is a mile above Baylor in terms of program. It would be crappy to do to you all this late in the game. The pickings are limited right now. Maybe Bud can coach in the interim?

RE: Fuente en Fuego - ChrisLords - 01-15-2020 03:21 AM

Sounds like Fuente's interview didn't go very well.

https://twitter.com/mattmosley/status/1217311830286176256

Baylor fans are underwhelmed at the potential of Fuente being their coach. They'd much rather have the Boise State coach, an LSU coordinator or Brent Venables.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - Hokie Mark - 01-15-2020 07:54 AM

(01-15-2020 03:21 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Sounds like Fuente's interview didn't go very well.

https://twitter.com/mattmosley/status/1217311830286176256

Baylor fans are underwhelmed at the potential of Fuente being their coach. They'd much rather have the Boise State coach, an LSU coordinator or Brent Venables.

Does that leave Virginia Tech in the position of knowing they have a head coach no one else wants?
07-coffee3

RE: Fuente en Fuego - TexanMark - 01-15-2020 09:01 AM

Memphis lucked into a huge upgrade when he left for VTech. Ofcourse now he (Norvell) is moving on.

If you are a recruit at VTech and you know the HC wants out...you gotta do some thinking

Not a good situation at all.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - Hokie Mark - 01-15-2020 09:06 AM

(01-15-2020 09:01 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Memphis lucked into a huge upgrade when he left for VTech. Ofcourse now he (Norvell) is moving on.

If you are a recruit at VTech and you know the HC wants out...you gotta do some thinking

Not a good situation at all.

Precisely why coaches have to be very careful who they interview with... better be pretty confident they are going to offer the job (and that you are going to accept)!

RE: Fuente en Fuego - Garrettabc - 01-15-2020 09:30 AM

Might want to cut bait right now and hire an up and comer on the cheap. You are basically getting a lost year this year with the HC obviously wanting out, take a chance with a new guy, give him 2 years to succeed.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - Lou_C - 01-15-2020 09:57 AM

The Justin Fuente era at Virginia Tech has been quite perplexing. I was ready to call it a failure, and then all of a sudden they seemed to really put it together in the back half of the year. They looked dead in the water after getting blown out by Duke, and then looked pretty damn good the rest of the way.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - H.U.S.T.L.E. - 01-15-2020 10:34 AM

I have no idea what to think about this one. If he doesn't get offered the job at Baylor, things are going to get very awkward in Blacksburg.

I've heard from a number of folks that I trust that Whit Babcock found out about the interview from social media sources, and that he's not happy at all given the fact he publicly went to bat for Fuente earlier this season when a lot of the fanbase was calling for his head.

On top of that, I've also heard that Fuente underestimated some of the unique challenges of the VT job. For a program that had been a perennial top 25 team under a good portion of Beamer's tenure, the financials have never been stellar and the donor base has long been difficult to engage. And while the football facilities aren't bad by any means, the football ops building is older and space in that portion of campus is really limited to make significant improvements.

Which leads to recruiting - I think a lot of folks don't understand the challenge of getting kids to SW VA, especially in this day & age. Of the major recruiting areas in VA (DMV and 757), several major P5 programs are closer than VT. Penn State is closer to the DMV than VT, and it's only an hour and a half farther from the 757 to PSU. Not to mention that UVA is closer than both, though that hasn't mattered as much in recent years. Central VA has produced less top-end talent in recent years, and those that are coming out of the area have ended up at blue blood programs as they cast an ever-wider net.

All this to say, a lot of folks (even VT fans) don't quite understand the challenge unless they know the ins and outs behind the scenes.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - Auburn_Blazer - 01-15-2020 01:12 PM

Whit needs to start asking candidates if they've ever even visited Texas before hiring them. Losing coaches back to back to that state is annoying.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - Auburn_Blazer - 01-15-2020 01:17 PM

(01-15-2020 10:34 AM)H.U.S.T.L.E. Wrote:  I have no idea what to think about this one. If he doesn't get offered the job at Baylor, things are going to get very awkward in Blacksburg.

I've heard from a number of folks that I trust that Whit Babcock found out about the interview from social media sources, and that he's not happy at all given the fact he publicly went to bat for Fuente earlier this season when a lot of the fanbase was calling for his head.

On top of that, I've also heard that Fuente underestimated some of the unique challenges of the VT job. For a program that had been a perennial top 25 team under a good portion of Beamer's tenure, the financials have never been stellar and the donor base has long been difficult to engage. And while the football facilities aren't bad by any means, the football ops building is older and space in that portion of campus is really limited to make significant improvements.

Which leads to recruiting - I think a lot of folks don't understand the challenge of getting kids to SW VA, especially in this day & age. Of the major recruiting areas in VA (DMV and 757), several major P5 programs are closer than VT. Penn State is closer to the DMV than VT, and it's only an hour and a half farther from the 757 to PSU. Not to mention that UVA is closer than both, though that hasn't mattered as much in recent years. Central VA has produced less top-end talent in recent years, and those that are coming out of the area have ended up at blue blood programs as they cast an ever-wider net.

All this to say, a lot of folks (even VT fans) don't quite understand the challenge unless they know the ins and outs behind the scenes.

Sorry for double post but I think a lot of those money issues come from Weaver (or so I've read), or even how disappointing these past few season have been.

You're totally right about recruiting though. It needs to either be someone that excels at convincing kids that grew up at the beach to come freeze their butts off in the mountains, or someone that's great at evaluating and developing talent.

I've seen a lot of people mention Grantham and Shane, but I think it should be more outside the box than that. Like Bohl at Wyoming (and NDSU before that) or Chris Klieman from K-State.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - DawgNBama - 01-15-2020 01:58 PM

IMO, Virginia Tech should went after Mike Leach before Mississippi State got him. Leach would have been a perfect fit for the Hokies. Mark Stoops might have been an option had not Kentucky finally decided to invest in football. Maybe VT should take a look at Wake's Clawson or the Indiana football coach.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - Statefan - 01-15-2020 02:39 PM

The loss of the airplane to and from the Tidewater hurt.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - Statefan - 01-15-2020 02:41 PM

Blazer, it's not that cold in Blacksburg. The main issue with the weather is that you get several varieties in one day, like attending an old open air Peach Bowl or visiting Boone NC.

RE: Fuente en Fuego - Hokie Mark - 01-15-2020 02:49 PM

(01-15-2020 02:39 PM)Statefan Wrote:  The loss of the airplane to and from the Tidewater hurt.

TRUE.