RE: Fuente en Fuego
Would suck if true. Who would you get?
01-14-2020 09:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
He's making 4mil now. What are they going to offer him 6mil? I'm not sure he's worth that.

He does want to get back to Texas eventually. So, it is a good fit.
01-14-2020 10:29 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(01-14-2020 10:29 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  He's making 4mil now. What are they going to offer him 6mil? I'm not sure he's worth that.

If he doesn't get it would VT take back with open arms? Obviously he wants out. I do not understand this move at all if he takes the job.
01-14-2020 10:50 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(01-14-2020 10:50 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  
(01-14-2020 10:29 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  He's making 4mil now. What are they going to offer him 6mil? I'm not sure he's worth that.

If he doesn't get it would VT take back with open arms? Obviously he wants out. I do not understand this move at all if he takes the job.

Something strange has been going on in the program for a couple of years now, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with X's and O's...
01-14-2020 10:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(01-14-2020 10:58 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(01-14-2020 10:50 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  

Something strange has been going on in the program for a couple of years now, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with X's and O's...

VT in my opinion is a mile above Baylor in terms of program. It would be crappy to do to you all this late in the game. The pickings are limited right now. Maybe Bud can coach in the interim?
01-14-2020 11:07 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Sounds like Fuente's interview didn't go very well.

https://twitter.com/mattmosley/status/12...0286176256

Baylor fans are underwhelmed at the potential of Fuente being their coach. They'd much rather have the Boise State coach, an LSU coordinator or Brent Venables.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2020 03:24 AM by ChrisLords.)
01-15-2020 03:21 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2020 03:21 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Sounds like Fuente's interview didn't go very well.

https://twitter.com/mattmosley/status/12...0286176256

Baylor fans are underwhelmed at the potential of Fuente being their coach. They'd much rather have the Boise State coach, an LSU coordinator or Brent Venables.

Does that leave Virginia Tech in the position of knowing they have a head coach no one else wants?
07-coffee3
01-15-2020 07:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Memphis lucked into a huge upgrade when he left for VTech. Ofcourse now he (Norvell) is moving on.

If you are a recruit at VTech and you know the HC wants out...you gotta do some thinking

Not a good situation at all.
01-15-2020 09:01 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2020 09:01 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Memphis lucked into a huge upgrade when he left for VTech. Ofcourse now he (Norvell) is moving on.

If you are a recruit at VTech and you know the HC wants out...you gotta do some thinking

Not a good situation at all.

Precisely why coaches have to be very careful who they interview with... better be pretty confident they are going to offer the job (and that you are going to accept)!
01-15-2020 09:06 AM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida State
Might want to cut bait right now and hire an up and comer on the cheap. You are basically getting a lost year this year with the HC obviously wanting out, take a chance with a new guy, give him 2 years to succeed.
01-15-2020 09:30 AM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
The Justin Fuente era at Virginia Tech has been quite perplexing. I was ready to call it a failure, and then all of a sudden they seemed to really put it together in the back half of the year. They looked dead in the water after getting blown out by Duke, and then looked pretty damn good the rest of the way.
01-15-2020 09:57 AM
H.U.S.T.L.E. Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: VT / JMU
I have no idea what to think about this one. If he doesn't get offered the job at Baylor, things are going to get very awkward in Blacksburg.

I've heard from a number of folks that I trust that Whit Babcock found out about the interview from social media sources, and that he's not happy at all given the fact he publicly went to bat for Fuente earlier this season when a lot of the fanbase was calling for his head.

On top of that, I've also heard that Fuente underestimated some of the unique challenges of the VT job. For a program that had been a perennial top 25 team under a good portion of Beamer's tenure, the financials have never been stellar and the donor base has long been difficult to engage. And while the football facilities aren't bad by any means, the football ops building is older and space in that portion of campus is really limited to make significant improvements.

Which leads to recruiting - I think a lot of folks don't understand the challenge of getting kids to SW VA, especially in this day & age. Of the major recruiting areas in VA (DMV and 757), several major P5 programs are closer than VT. Penn State is closer to the DMV than VT, and it's only an hour and a half farther from the 757 to PSU. Not to mention that UVA is closer than both, though that hasn't mattered as much in recent years. Central VA has produced less top-end talent in recent years, and those that are coming out of the area have ended up at blue blood programs as they cast an ever-wider net.

All this to say, a lot of folks (even VT fans) don't quite understand the challenge unless they know the ins and outs behind the scenes.
01-15-2020 10:34 AM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB

Whit needs to start asking candidates if they've ever even visited Texas before hiring them. Losing coaches back to back to that state is annoying.
01-15-2020 01:12 PM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
(01-15-2020 10:34 AM)H.U.S.T.L.E. Wrote:  I have no idea what to think about this one. If he doesn't get offered the job at Baylor, things are going to get very awkward in Blacksburg.

I've heard from a number of folks that I trust that Whit Babcock found out about the interview from social media sources, and that he's not happy at all given the fact he publicly went to bat for Fuente earlier this season when a lot of the fanbase was calling for his head.

On top of that, I've also heard that Fuente underestimated some of the unique challenges of the VT job. For a program that had been a perennial top 25 team under a good portion of Beamer's tenure, the financials have never been stellar and the donor base has long been difficult to engage. And while the football facilities aren't bad by any means, the football ops building is older and space in that portion of campus is really limited to make significant improvements.

Which leads to recruiting - I think a lot of folks don't understand the challenge of getting kids to SW VA, especially in this day & age. Of the major recruiting areas in VA (DMV and 757), several major P5 programs are closer than VT. Penn State is closer to the DMV than VT, and it's only an hour and a half farther from the 757 to PSU. Not to mention that UVA is closer than both, though that hasn't mattered as much in recent years. Central VA has produced less top-end talent in recent years, and those that are coming out of the area have ended up at blue blood programs as they cast an ever-wider net.

All this to say, a lot of folks (even VT fans) don't quite understand the challenge unless they know the ins and outs behind the scenes.

Sorry for double post but I think a lot of those money issues come from Weaver (or so I've read), or even how disappointing these past few season have been.

You're totally right about recruiting though. It needs to either be someone that excels at convincing kids that grew up at the beach to come freeze their butts off in the mountains, or someone that's great at evaluating and developing talent.

I've seen a lot of people mention Grantham and Shane, but I think it should be more outside the box than that. Like Bohl at Wyoming (and NDSU before that) or Chris Klieman from K-State.
01-15-2020 01:17 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
IMO, Virginia Tech should went after Mike Leach before Mississippi State got him. Leach would have been a perfect fit for the Hokies. Mark Stoops might have been an option had not Kentucky finally decided to invest in football. Maybe VT should take a look at Wake's Clawson or the Indiana football coach.
01-15-2020 01:58 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
The loss of the airplane to and from the Tidewater hurt.
01-15-2020 02:39 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
Blazer, it's not that cold in Blacksburg. The main issue with the weather is that you get several varieties in one day, like attending an old open air Peach Bowl or visiting Boone NC.
01-15-2020 02:41 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2020 02:39 PM)Statefan Wrote:  The loss of the airplane to and from the Tidewater hurt.

TRUE.
01-15-2020 02:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.