CSNbbs
Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? (/thread-880452.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - EigenEagle - 08-09-2019 11:43 AM

Among the 4 teams that were not bowl-eligible last season, which do you think is most likely to climb from the cellar?

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - TroyFootball05 - 08-09-2019 11:47 AM

Most likely to surprise would have to be either Coastal or GSU. Most likely to improve is Texas State. I just don't think anyone would be surprised. Coastal has a good coach, and some people in the know are really high on GSU to be improved this year. I don't think South Alabama will be improved at all.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - Cajuns1252 - 08-09-2019 12:06 PM

Texas State and Coastal, I’ve been waiting for Texas State to wake up it just hasn’t happened yet

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - VNova - 08-09-2019 12:09 PM

I think Coastal will have a surprising season this year.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - TrueBlueDrew - 08-09-2019 12:14 PM

I’ll just say I’m glad we don’t play TXST this year

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - JoeJag - 08-09-2019 12:34 PM

(08-09-2019 11:47 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Most likely to surprise would have to be either Coastal or GSU. Most likely to improve is Texas State. I just don't think anyone would be surprised. Coastal has a good coach, and some people in the know are really high on GSU to be improved this year. I don't think South Alabama will be improved at all.

Why? Is it because of all of those former Troy players and coaches on the Jaguar coaching staff? 05-stirthepot

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - TroyFootball05 - 08-09-2019 01:07 PM

(08-09-2019 12:34 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  
(08-09-2019 11:47 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Most likely to surprise would have to be either Coastal or GSU. Most likely to improve is Texas State. I just don't think anyone would be surprised. Coastal has a good coach, and some people in the know are really high on GSU to be improved this year. I don't think South Alabama will be improved at all.

Why? Is it because of all of those former Troy players and coaches on the Jaguar coaching staff? 05-stirthepot

You guys took a step back last year and don't return a lot. You could argue the offense was improved. Kenny Edenfield is a decent coach despite what some Troy fans believe. The defense should never have taken such a huge step backwards, though. I didn't see a lot to suggest that the culture had been changed.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - CardinalBlackTrojan - 08-09-2019 01:19 PM

I say Texas State... simply because of the amount of talent on the roster, and the amount of production they return on both sides of the ball.

Call me insane... but I think Texas State will stick around with Texas A&M a little longer than everyone may anticipate. Everyone is probably thinking it will be an immediate blowout.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - JoeJag - 08-09-2019 01:25 PM

(08-09-2019 01:19 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I say Texas State... simply because of the amount of talent on the roster, and the amount of production they return on both sides of the ball.

Call me insane... but I think Texas State will stick around with Texas A&M a little longer than everyone may anticipate. Everyone is probably thinking it will be an immediate blowout.

I don't believe you're insane, but Texas State has about as much of a chance "sticking around" with Texas A&M as South Alabama does with Nebraska.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - AtlantaJag - 08-09-2019 01:27 PM

(08-09-2019 01:07 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

You guys took a step back last year and don't return a lot. You could argue the offense was improved. Kenny Edenfield is a decent coach despite what some Troy fans believe. The defense should never have taken such a huge step backwards, though. I didn't see a lot to suggest that the culture had been changed.

There's been an absolutely huge culture change. 11 players leaving with eligibility remaining is a good indicator. They'll be improved in just about every area except quarterback, which, along with a very tough schedule, is why the record may not reflect the improvement.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - USAJag2011 - 08-09-2019 01:28 PM

(08-09-2019 01:07 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

The culture is completely different. There is a reason we had 12-15 guys leave after the season. They didn’t buy into what Campbell was wanting to do. Joey Jones was extremely soft. I liked him, but he was way too soft. The new staff has made men out of a lot of boys from last year.

I don’t know if our record will improve much, but we will certainly be a better team last year. How much better is still to be determined.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - Georgia_Power_Company - 08-09-2019 01:54 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if any of these teams improve but I think the one with the best chance at Bowl eligibility is Texas St.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - Yarddog - 08-09-2019 02:22 PM

I think just about everyone wonders the same thing.

Why isn't Texas State a powerhouse?

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - StillGotIt - 08-09-2019 02:31 PM

You probably follow USA as much as I follow Troy, but if anything has changed it's the culture. Also, we lost 4 def starters either before or at the beginning of the season last year. We moved around guys and had them playing out of position. We moved a FS up to LB after both starters went down. All of them are back this year, and the guys behind them have experience. This time last year we had 4 D1 athletes on the OL. This year we have about 12. As others mention, our schedule will be difficult this year and the QB is unproven, so the record may not reflect it. The hardest part of a new team to change is the culture. We can check it off the list.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - EigenEagle - 08-09-2019 04:53 PM

No votes for Georgia State.

Well, one thing you can say for them is that they were supposed to be bad in 2015 and 2017 and weren't.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - tx.state - 08-09-2019 04:56 PM

(08-09-2019 02:22 PM)Yarddog Wrote:  I think just about everyone wonders the same thing.

Why isn't Texas State a powerhouse?

[Image: larrysux.png?fit=770%2C428]

Most recent example:

Tailgating has been broken for a few years and rumor had it that they (Larry Teis's athletic department) were re-evaluating some of the rules that fans have been complaining about for years. They did open up some new areas for tailgating, including the former golf course across from the stadium, but they also implemented a bunch of new rules (that fans will hate), more new rules (that are poorly written and confusing), and doubled the price.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - WinstonTheWolf - 08-09-2019 05:15 PM

Texas State. Their D was good last year and their new coach is impressive.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - _x_ - 08-09-2019 06:24 PM

I see TXST and GSU improving this year.
I see USA and Coastal struggling.

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - Bobcat87 - 08-09-2019 06:32 PM

(08-09-2019 01:19 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I say Texas State... simply because of the amount of talent on the roster, and the amount of production they return on both sides of the ball.

IF A&M comes into this season the way they played last year, we might keep it close through the first quarter. Aggies tended to be a little slow out of the blocks last year.

After that, Aggie will roll, and the final won't be close.

As far as improvement; hell, we got nowhere to go but up . . .

RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise? - _x_ - 08-09-2019 06:40 PM

That's not entirely true. We haven't gone 0-12 or 1-11 yet....

Knock on wood.