Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Which team is most likely to surprise?
This poll is closed.
Coastal Carolina 17.72% 14 17.72%
Georgia State 3.80% 3 3.80%
South Alabama 21.52% 17 21.52%
Texas State 56.96% 45 56.96%
Total 79 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise?
Bookmark and Share
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise?
Among the 4 teams that were not bowl-eligible last season, which do you think is most likely to climb from the cellar?
08-09-2019 11:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
RE: Which team from last year's bottom 4 is most likely to surprise?
Most likely to surprise would have to be either Coastal or GSU. Most likely to improve is Texas State. I just don't think anyone would be surprised. Coastal has a good coach, and some people in the know are really high on GSU to be improved this year. I don't think South Alabama will be improved at all.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2019 11:48 AM by TroyFootball05.)
08-09-2019 11:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cajuns1252 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana
Texas State and Coastal, I’ve been waiting for Texas State to wake up it just hasn’t happened yet
08-09-2019 12:06 PM
VNova Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State, UCSD
I think Coastal will have a surprising season this year.
08-09-2019 12:09 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
I’ll just say I’m glad we don’t play TXST this year
08-09-2019 12:14 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(08-09-2019 11:47 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Most likely to surprise would have to be either Coastal or GSU. Most likely to improve is Texas State. I just don't think anyone would be surprised. Coastal has a good coach, and some people in the know are really high on GSU to be improved this year. I don't think South Alabama will be improved at all.

Why? Is it because of all of those former Troy players and coaches on the Jaguar coaching staff? 05-stirthepot
08-09-2019 12:34 PM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(08-09-2019 12:34 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  
(08-09-2019 11:47 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Most likely to surprise would have to be either Coastal or GSU. Most likely to improve is Texas State. I just don't think anyone would be surprised. Coastal has a good coach, and some people in the know are really high on GSU to be improved this year. I don't think South Alabama will be improved at all.

Why? Is it because of all of those former Troy players and coaches on the Jaguar coaching staff? 05-stirthepot

You guys took a step back last year and don't return a lot. You could argue the offense was improved. Kenny Edenfield is a decent coach despite what some Troy fans believe. The defense should never have taken such a huge step backwards, though. I didn't see a lot to suggest that the culture had been changed.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2019 01:09 PM by TroyFootball05.)
08-09-2019 01:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
I say Texas State... simply because of the amount of talent on the roster, and the amount of production they return on both sides of the ball.

Call me insane... but I think Texas State will stick around with Texas A&M a little longer than everyone may anticipate. Everyone is probably thinking it will be an immediate blowout.
08-09-2019 01:19 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-09-2019 01:19 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I say Texas State... simply because of the amount of talent on the roster, and the amount of production they return on both sides of the ball.

Call me insane... but I think Texas State will stick around with Texas A&M a little longer than everyone may anticipate. Everyone is probably thinking it will be an immediate blowout.

I don't believe you're insane, but Texas State has about as much of a chance "sticking around" with Texas A&M as South Alabama does with Nebraska.
08-09-2019 01:25 PM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
(08-09-2019 01:07 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

You guys took a step back last year and don't return a lot. You could argue the offense was improved. Kenny Edenfield is a decent coach despite what some Troy fans believe. The defense should never have taken such a huge step backwards, though. I didn't see a lot to suggest that the culture had been changed.

There's been an absolutely huge culture change. 11 players leaving with eligibility remaining is a good indicator. They'll be improved in just about every area except quarterback, which, along with a very tough schedule, is why the record may not reflect the improvement.
08-09-2019 01:27 PM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

(08-09-2019 01:07 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

The culture is completely different. There is a reason we had 12-15 guys leave after the season. They didn’t buy into what Campbell was wanting to do. Joey Jones was extremely soft. I liked him, but he was way too soft. The new staff has made men out of a lot of boys from last year.

I don’t know if our record will improve much, but we will certainly be a better team last year. How much better is still to be determined.
08-09-2019 01:28 PM
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
I wouldn't be surprised if any of these teams improve but I think the one with the best chance at Bowl eligibility is Texas St.
08-09-2019 01:54 PM
Yarddog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy
I think just about everyone wonders the same thing.

Why isn't Texas State a powerhouse?
08-09-2019 02:22 PM
StillGotIt Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

You probably follow USA as much as I follow Troy, but if anything has changed it's the culture. Also, we lost 4 def starters either before or at the beginning of the season last year. We moved around guys and had them playing out of position. We moved a FS up to LB after both starters went down. All of them are back this year, and the guys behind them have experience. This time last year we had 4 D1 athletes on the OL. This year we have about 12. As others mention, our schedule will be difficult this year and the QB is unproven, so the record may not reflect it. The hardest part of a new team to change is the culture. We can check it off the list.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2019 02:32 PM by StillGotIt.)
08-09-2019 02:31 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
No votes for Georgia State.

Well, one thing you can say for them is that they were supposed to be bad in 2015 and 2017 and weren't.
08-09-2019 04:53 PM
tx.state Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST
(08-09-2019 02:22 PM)Yarddog Wrote:  I think just about everyone wonders the same thing.

Why isn't Texas State a powerhouse?

[Image: larrysux.png?fit=770%2C428]

Most recent example:

Tailgating has been broken for a few years and rumor had it that they (Larry Teis's athletic department) were re-evaluating some of the rules that fans have been complaining about for years. They did open up some new areas for tailgating, including the former golf course across from the stadium, but they also implemented a bunch of new rules (that fans will hate), more new rules (that are poorly written and confusing), and doubled the price.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2019 04:59 PM by tx.state.)
08-09-2019 04:56 PM
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
Texas State. Their D was good last year and their new coach is impressive.
08-09-2019 05:15 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
I see TXST and GSU improving this year.
I see USA and Coastal struggling.
08-09-2019 06:24 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(08-09-2019 01:19 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I say Texas State... simply because of the amount of talent on the roster, and the amount of production they return on both sides of the ball.

IF A&M comes into this season the way they played last year, we might keep it close through the first quarter. Aggies tended to be a little slow out of the blocks last year.

After that, Aggie will roll, and the final won't be close.

As far as improvement; hell, we got nowhere to go but up . . .
08-09-2019 06:32 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
That's not entirely true. We haven't gone 0-12 or 1-11 yet....

Knock on wood.
08-09-2019 06:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.