CSNbbs
Bowl Updates - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Bowl Updates (/thread-871833.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Bowl Updates - PT_american - 03-05-2019 02:59 PM

Looks like news on the bowl front from other conferences is trickling in. Looks like the SEC is giving up part of Belk to get part of Las Vegas. So no net gain/loss from the move.

Bowl Changes

RE: Bowl Updates - BullsFanInTX - 03-05-2019 03:23 PM

Nothing affecting the AAC. I hope the AAC is securing good bowl tie ins, including an actual tie in to the Liberty Bowl.

RE: Bowl Updates - Attackcoog - 03-05-2019 03:25 PM

Looks like the Mountain West landed on its feet after losing the Vegas Bowl. The LA Bowl in a new stadium vs the Pac12 is a solid consolation prize. As far as the AAC snagging a slot or some sort of rotating slot in a high to mid-level non-CFP bowl---it looks like the possibilities are getting thinner. The Belk, Gator, Music City, and Outback are off the table as options. I think we can safely eliminate the Alamo and all the western bowls as possibilities as well. That would really only leave the Liberty, Texas, and maybe the Sun Bowl as remaining decent options for a serious upgrade for the non-access bowl AAC champ (or runner up in access bowl years).

RE: Bowl Updates - PT_american - 03-05-2019 03:31 PM

(03-05-2019 03:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Looks like the Mountain West landed on its feet after losing the Vegas Bowl. The LA Bowl in a new stadium vs the Pac12 is a solid consolation prize. As far as the AAC snagging a slot or some sort of rotating slot in a high to mid-level non-CFP bowl---it looks like the possibilities are getting thinner. The Belk, Gator, Music City, and Outback are off the table as options. I think we can safely eliminate the Alamo and all the western bowls as possibilities as well. That would really only leave the Liberty, Texas, and maybe the Sun Bowl as remaining decent options for a serious upgrade for the non-access bowl AAC champ (or runner up in access bowl years).

Yeah what I thought was interesting was the ACC jumping into the Holiday Bowl. I get it is against the PAC 12 but is about as far away from their footprint as you can get outside of jumping in the Hawaii Bowl. So are they dropping one of their other bowls that could potentially be a place for the AAC? With the SEC splitting the Vegas and Belk they aren't actually losing anything likely, unless they have some other changes. So not sure Liberty will be available.

RE: Bowl Updates - CoastalJuan - 03-05-2019 03:31 PM

Would love to get the Liberty Bowl tie-in. Fun fact: (per Wikipedia...lol) UCF (2007 - 63,816) and ECU (2010 - 62,742) have the two highest Liberty Bowl attendance numbers.

RE: Bowl Updates - HuskyU - 03-05-2019 03:34 PM

Maybe we should root for Aresco to get Delany's job. Possible major bowl tie-in and a basketball challenge with the Big Ten.

RE: Bowl Updates - BullsFanInTX - 03-05-2019 03:36 PM

(03-05-2019 03:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Looks like the Mountain West landed on its feet after losing the Vegas Bowl. The LA Bowl in a new stadium vs the Pac12 is a solid consolation prize. As far as the AAC snagging a slot or some sort of rotating slot in a high to mid-level non-CFP bowl---it looks like the possibilities are getting thinner. The Belk, Gator, Music City, and Outback are off the table as options. I think we can safely eliminate the Alamo and all the western bowls as possibilities as well. That would really only leave the Liberty, Texas, and maybe the Sun Bowl as remaining decent options for a serious upgrade for the non-access bowl AAC champ (or runner up in access bowl years).

How about the Citrus Bowl? The Old BE had a tie in to the Citrus Bowl for their #1 team not in a BCS bowl.

From McMurphy:

"The Outback Bowl
The Tampa-based bowl will still feature an SEC vs. Big Ten matchup, as it has since 1995. However, starting in 2020, when a Big Ten team earns a berth to the Orange Bowl, an ACC team will take the Big Ten’s place in the Outback Bowl. This arrangement previously was with the Citrus Bowl."

But, outside of that, I'd say our best bet is still a partial tie in to Liberty Bowl. If our champ is not in NY6, they go to Liberty Bowl. If the B12 is displaced, they can have our slot in Birmingham vs. SEC. This would guarantee us a slot in ether NY6 or Liberty every year.

RE: Bowl Updates - HoustonCougarNation - 03-05-2019 04:07 PM

Looks like more bowl changes for the Power 5's

RE: Bowl Updates - Attackcoog - 03-05-2019 04:20 PM

(03-05-2019 03:36 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

How about the Citrus Bowl? The Old BE had a tie in to the Citrus Bowl for their #1 team not in a BCS bowl.

From McMurphy:

"The Outback Bowl
The Tampa-based bowl will still feature an SEC vs. Big Ten matchup, as it has since 1995. However, starting in 2020, when a Big Ten team earns a berth to the Orange Bowl, an ACC team will take the Big Ten’s place in the Outback Bowl. This arrangement previously was with the Citrus Bowl."

But, outside of that, I'd say our best bet is still a partial tie in to Liberty Bowl. If our champ is not in NY6, they go to Liberty Bowl. If the B12 is displaced, they can have our slot in Birmingham vs. SEC. This would guarantee us a slot in ether NY6 or Liberty every year.

Good catch on the Cirtus Bowl. The problem there is the Citrus is the highest paying non-CFP Bowl. Getting a mid-to-high tier bowl to take our champ in place of a P5 team is already a tough sell. If we are going to get a mid-to-high tier non-CFP bowl to make that trade----I just dont see it being the the bowl with the highest payout doing it. Best shot will be the Liberty...maybe a lesser shot at the Sun or Texas. 04-cheers

RE: Bowl Updates - vabearcat - 03-05-2019 05:02 PM

(03-05-2019 03:31 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  Would love to get the Liberty Bowl tie-in. Fun fact: (per Wikipedia...lol) UCF (2007 - 63,816) and ECU (2010 - 62,742) have the two highest Liberty Bowl attendance numbers.

Oh gosh, here we go again.03-yawn

RE: Bowl Updates - Bearcats#1 - 03-05-2019 06:49 PM

wish we could get the Peach for our champ and the Liberty for #2

RE: Bowl Updates - Frank the Tank - 03-05-2019 06:59 PM

(03-05-2019 03:36 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

From McMurphy:

"The Outback Bowl

Citrus Bowl is almost certainly getting its prior matchup of the top SEC and Big Ten teams that aren’t in the CFP. It’s the highest paying non-CFP bowl. Essentially, the Big Ten/ACC shared spot switched from the Citrus to the Outback.

RE: Bowl Updates - BigHouston - 03-05-2019 07:13 PM

(03-05-2019 06:49 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  wish we could get the Peach for our champ and the Liberty for #2

Yes... This ^^^ would be great.

Who knows perhaps shuffling of bowls could be b/c AAC new tv agreement with ESPN.

RE: Bowl Updates - PT_american - 03-05-2019 07:21 PM

(03-05-2019 06:49 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  wish we could get the Peach for our champ and the Liberty for #2

Or a split of the peach and cotton given how the league is spread out. Then they could rotate based on where the champ resides. The league needs at least a top tier non CFP bowl and it seems liberty would be a good fit. Just not sure if they can pull it off. Would be nice if there were some announcements of something though.

RE: Bowl Updates - PuddlePirate - 03-05-2019 07:41 PM

(03-05-2019 03:31 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  Would love to get the Liberty Bowl tie-in. Fun fact: (per Wikipedia...lol) UCF (2007 - 63,816) and ECU (2010 - 62,742) have the two highest Liberty Bowl attendance numbers.

And easily 50k of that was Arkansas. Maybe 55k.

RE: Bowl Updates - BigHouston - 03-05-2019 08:17 PM

(03-05-2019 07:21 PM)PT_american Wrote:  

Or a split of the peach and cotton given how the league is spread out. Then they could rotate based on where the champ resides. The league needs at least a top tier non CFP bowl and it seems liberty would be a good fit. Just not sure if they can pull it off. Would be nice if there were some announcements of something though.

As a Texan the Cotton would be my preference but hey I'll take the Peach if offered. Hehe

RE: Bowl Updates - HuskyU - 03-05-2019 08:22 PM

Memphis is working on it..........................................................

RE: Bowl Updates - Foreverandever - 03-05-2019 08:23 PM

The Sun Bowl is beginning to look like a mwc/big 12/aac bowl.

It was PAC vs ACC but that has moved to the holiday. My guess is the RedBox bowl is the one moving to LA and the Vegas bowl will end up on fox.

Also our chances at the Independence and Liberty bowl are improving. The inability of conferences to make a conditional bowl bid is going to pay off for the AAC. I expect we get the independence most likely vs a Big 12 or SEC opponent.

RE: Bowl Updates - CougarRed - 03-05-2019 08:30 PM

(03-05-2019 03:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  That would really only leave the Liberty, Texas, and maybe the Sun Bowl as remaining decent options for a serious upgrade for the non-access bowl AAC champ (or runner up in access bowl years).

The Texas Bowl people love their Big 12 vs SEC match up. They wouldn't take our champ willingly.

RE: Bowl Updates - Attackcoog - 03-05-2019 08:50 PM

(03-05-2019 08:30 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  
(03-05-2019 03:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  That would really only leave the Liberty, Texas, and maybe the Sun Bowl as remaining decent options for a serious upgrade for the non-access bowl AAC champ (or runner up in access bowl years).

The Texas Bowl people love their Big 12 vs SEC match up. They wouldn't take our champ willingly.

Exactly. Nobody wants to hear it, but the reality is taking our champ over a P5 team is not a commitment most mid-to-upper tier bowls are willing to make. There would have to be someone like ESPN really greasing the skids for that to happen.

Ive felt like our best opportunity for something like that would lie in a rotating slot that is shared by multiple bowls. That way no single bowl is committing to the AAC for more than a year or two. its worth noting that, despite being an "AQ power conference", the old AQ Big East was not able to attract an exclusive tie to a single BCS Bowl. Instead, the Big East champ rotated around to different BCS venues during the BCS era.