Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bowl Updates
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
Bowl Updates
Looks like news on the bowl front from other conferences is trickling in. Looks like the SEC is giving up part of Belk to get part of Las Vegas. So no net gain/loss from the move.

Bowl Changes
03-05-2019 02:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
RE: Bowl Updates
Nothing affecting the AAC. I hope the AAC is securing good bowl tie ins, including an actual tie in to the Liberty Bowl.
03-05-2019 03:23 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Looks like the Mountain West landed on its feet after losing the Vegas Bowl. The LA Bowl in a new stadium vs the Pac12 is a solid consolation prize. As far as the AAC snagging a slot or some sort of rotating slot in a high to mid-level non-CFP bowl---it looks like the possibilities are getting thinner. The Belk, Gator, Music City, and Outback are off the table as options. I think we can safely eliminate the Alamo and all the western bowls as possibilities as well. That would really only leave the Liberty, Texas, and maybe the Sun Bowl as remaining decent options for a serious upgrade for the non-access bowl AAC champ (or runner up in access bowl years).
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019 03:27 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-05-2019 03:25 PM
PT_american Offline
1st String

(03-05-2019 03:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Looks like the Mountain West landed on its feet after losing the Vegas Bowl. The LA Bowl in a new stadium vs the Pac12 is a solid consolation prize. As far as the AAC snagging a slot or some sort of rotating slot in a high to mid-level non-CFP bowl---it looks like the possibilities are getting thinner. The Belk, Gator, Music City, and Outback are off the table as options. I think we can safely eliminate the Alamo and all the western bowls as possibilities as well. That would really only leave the Liberty, Texas, and maybe the Sun Bowl as remaining decent options for a serious upgrade for the non-access bowl AAC champ (or runner up in access bowl years).

Yeah what I thought was interesting was the ACC jumping into the Holiday Bowl. I get it is against the PAC 12 but is about as far away from their footprint as you can get outside of jumping in the Hawaii Bowl. So are they dropping one of their other bowls that could potentially be a place for the AAC? With the SEC splitting the Vegas and Belk they aren't actually losing anything likely, unless they have some other changes. So not sure Liberty will be available.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019 03:32 PM by PT_american.)
03-05-2019 03:31 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
Would love to get the Liberty Bowl tie-in. Fun fact: (per Wikipedia...lol) UCF (2007 - 63,816) and ECU (2010 - 62,742) have the two highest Liberty Bowl attendance numbers.
03-05-2019 03:31 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Maybe we should root for Aresco to get Delany's job. Possible major bowl tie-in and a basketball challenge with the Big Ten.
03-05-2019 03:34 PM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(03-05-2019 03:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Looks like the Mountain West landed on its feet after losing the Vegas Bowl. The LA Bowl in a new stadium vs the Pac12 is a solid consolation prize. As far as the AAC snagging a slot or some sort of rotating slot in a high to mid-level non-CFP bowl---it looks like the possibilities are getting thinner. The Belk, Gator, Music City, and Outback are off the table as options. I think we can safely eliminate the Alamo and all the western bowls as possibilities as well. That would really only leave the Liberty, Texas, and maybe the Sun Bowl as remaining decent options for a serious upgrade for the non-access bowl AAC champ (or runner up in access bowl years).

How about the Citrus Bowl? The Old BE had a tie in to the Citrus Bowl for their #1 team not in a BCS bowl.

From McMurphy:

"The Outback Bowl
The Tampa-based bowl will still feature an SEC vs. Big Ten matchup, as it has since 1995. However, starting in 2020, when a Big Ten team earns a berth to the Orange Bowl, an ACC team will take the Big Ten’s place in the Outback Bowl. This arrangement previously was with the Citrus Bowl."

But, outside of that, I'd say our best bet is still a partial tie in to Liberty Bowl. If our champ is not in NY6, they go to Liberty Bowl. If the B12 is displaced, they can have our slot in Birmingham vs. SEC. This would guarantee us a slot in ether NY6 or Liberty every year.
03-05-2019 03:36 PM
HoustonCougarNation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cougars, Frogs
Looks like more bowl changes for the Power 5's
03-05-2019 04:07 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-05-2019 03:36 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

How about the Citrus Bowl? The Old BE had a tie in to the Citrus Bowl for their #1 team not in a BCS bowl.

From McMurphy:

"The Outback Bowl
The Tampa-based bowl will still feature an SEC vs. Big Ten matchup, as it has since 1995. However, starting in 2020, when a Big Ten team earns a berth to the Orange Bowl, an ACC team will take the Big Ten’s place in the Outback Bowl. This arrangement previously was with the Citrus Bowl."

But, outside of that, I'd say our best bet is still a partial tie in to Liberty Bowl. If our champ is not in NY6, they go to Liberty Bowl. If the B12 is displaced, they can have our slot in Birmingham vs. SEC. This would guarantee us a slot in ether NY6 or Liberty every year.

Good catch on the Cirtus Bowl. The problem there is the Citrus is the highest paying non-CFP Bowl. Getting a mid-to-high tier bowl to take our champ in place of a P5 team is already a tough sell. If we are going to get a mid-to-high tier non-CFP bowl to make that trade----I just dont see it being the the bowl with the highest payout doing it. Best shot will be the Liberty...maybe a lesser shot at the Sun or Texas. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019 04:22 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-05-2019 04:20 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-05-2019 03:31 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  Would love to get the Liberty Bowl tie-in. Fun fact: (per Wikipedia...lol) UCF (2007 - 63,816) and ECU (2010 - 62,742) have the two highest Liberty Bowl attendance numbers.

Oh gosh, here we go again.03-yawn
03-05-2019 05:02 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
wish we could get the Peach for our champ and the Liberty for #2
03-05-2019 06:49 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(03-05-2019 03:36 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

From McMurphy:

"The Outback Bowl

Citrus Bowl is almost certainly getting its prior matchup of the top SEC and Big Ten teams that aren’t in the CFP. It’s the highest paying non-CFP bowl. Essentially, the Big Ten/ACC shared spot switched from the Citrus to the Outback.
03-05-2019 06:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(03-05-2019 06:49 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  wish we could get the Peach for our champ and the Liberty for #2

Yes... This ^^^ would be great.

Who knows perhaps shuffling of bowls could be b/c AAC new tv agreement with ESPN.
03-05-2019 07:13 PM
PT_american Offline
1st String

(03-05-2019 06:49 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  wish we could get the Peach for our champ and the Liberty for #2

Or a split of the peach and cotton given how the league is spread out. Then they could rotate based on where the champ resides. The league needs at least a top tier non CFP bowl and it seems liberty would be a good fit. Just not sure if they can pull it off. Would be nice if there were some announcements of something though.
03-05-2019 07:21 PM
PuddlePirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: inorganic groceries
(03-05-2019 03:31 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  Would love to get the Liberty Bowl tie-in. Fun fact: (per Wikipedia...lol) UCF (2007 - 63,816) and ECU (2010 - 62,742) have the two highest Liberty Bowl attendance numbers.

And easily 50k of that was Arkansas. Maybe 55k.
03-05-2019 07:41 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(03-05-2019 07:21 PM)PT_american Wrote:  

Or a split of the peach and cotton given how the league is spread out. Then they could rotate based on where the champ resides. The league needs at least a top tier non CFP bowl and it seems liberty would be a good fit. Just not sure if they can pull it off. Would be nice if there were some announcements of something though.

As a Texan the Cotton would be my preference but hey I'll take the Peach if offered. Hehe
03-05-2019 08:17 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN

Memphis is working on it..........................................................
03-05-2019 08:22 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
The Sun Bowl is beginning to look like a mwc/big 12/aac bowl.

It was PAC vs ACC but that has moved to the holiday. My guess is the RedBox bowl is the one moving to LA and the Vegas bowl will end up on fox.

Also our chances at the Independence and Liberty bowl are improving. The inability of conferences to make a conditional bowl bid is going to pay off for the AAC. I expect we get the independence most likely vs a Big 12 or SEC opponent.
03-05-2019 08:23 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-05-2019 03:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  That would really only leave the Liberty, Texas, and maybe the Sun Bowl as remaining decent options for a serious upgrade for the non-access bowl AAC champ (or runner up in access bowl years).

The Texas Bowl people love their Big 12 vs SEC match up. They wouldn't take our champ willingly.
03-05-2019 08:30 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-05-2019 08:30 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  
(03-05-2019 03:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  That would really only leave the Liberty, Texas, and maybe the Sun Bowl as remaining decent options for a serious upgrade for the non-access bowl AAC champ (or runner up in access bowl years).

The Texas Bowl people love their Big 12 vs SEC match up. They wouldn't take our champ willingly.

Exactly. Nobody wants to hear it, but the reality is taking our champ over a P5 team is not a commitment most mid-to-upper tier bowls are willing to make. There would have to be someone like ESPN really greasing the skids for that to happen.

Ive felt like our best opportunity for something like that would lie in a rotating slot that is shared by multiple bowls. That way no single bowl is committing to the AAC for more than a year or two. its worth noting that, despite being an "AQ power conference", the old AQ Big East was not able to attract an exclusive tie to a single BCS Bowl. Instead, the Big East champ rotated around to different BCS venues during the BCS era.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019 08:53 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-05-2019 08:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.