CSNbbs
2019 Baseball Season - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: 2019 Baseball Season (/thread-864079.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - Tribe32 - 05-18-2019 03:17 PM

We should be in good shape if we win the first game. We have three very good starters and Jacob Haney has a lot of innings and should be better than most other team's number four. We just need to stay in the winners bracket.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - HPLlL - 05-18-2019 03:37 PM

Very fortunate today as we had only 1 hit thru 5 and then their relief guys were not good at all. Found a way to grind it out for a W.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - nj alum - 05-18-2019 04:36 PM

(05-18-2019 03:37 PM)HPLlL Wrote:  Very fortunate today as we had only 1 hit thru 5 and then their relief guys were not good at all. Found a way to grind it out for a W.

I have a different take.

I’ve seen games live from February through May. I followed this game while shopping at a mall in New Jersey with my daughter.

All year, and today, the same thing. Every time I thought that this team just didn’t have enough, and that they were done, they came through.

The sweep at UNCW. The sweep of CofC.

They went on the road this weekend, and dropped the first game. They had to win the next two, and they did.

They fell behind 4-0 in this final game, and won going away.

They won over 30 games.

I’d say this team deserves the labels “resilient”, “tough”, and “good” ... that has been their MO all year.

Now, going into the CAA tournament, I’ll take all the good fortune that the baseball gods throw our way.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - Tribeheart - 05-18-2019 04:40 PM

#3 W&M vs #6 JMU in Hburg, Wed, 4pm.

Go Tribe!

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - TribePride91 - 05-18-2019 04:41 PM

They definitely battled all year. Raquet had the big hit today with the triple that got the scoring going, but there were contributions from everyone in the last 4 innings. If they win Wednesday over the Dukes, we would face Charleston. Should we lose to the Dukes, it will be very difficult. But, the Tribe has enough pitching to have a shot. There is a slight advantage for Elon and Charleston as they can advance by winning one less game. I'll take it given where things stood just a few weeks ago.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - nj alum - 05-18-2019 04:49 PM

Going into this weekend, the RPI for the baseball team was #85 ... the highest ranking for any CAA team.

They are closer to an NCAA at large bid than they are to being considered a fortunate team.

2019 Baseball Season - LeadBolt - 05-18-2019 05:52 PM

Beat the Barnies like a drum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - bubbadog57 - 05-18-2019 06:48 PM

This was as satisfying a win today, a clutch victory, as you might wish.

Behind 4-0 and shutout through four many teams might have thrown in the towel, but Coach Murphy's guys shutout Hofstra the rest of the way and tally eleven runs to win convincingly!

31 wins and a third place CAA finish...with Power 5 wins over West Virginia,
Maryland and UVA..this team picked to go nowhere before the season showed
it had the right stuff for sure.

Great day for Tribe baseball.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - Tribe32 - 05-18-2019 06:51 PM

23 runs in the last two games. JMU isn't as good as us from what I saw during our home series. Strain dominated them so I expect him to start.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - Zorch - 05-18-2019 11:38 PM

It is crucial to win the first game, so our best pitcher should start. I think Bodie Sheehan should start the first game. Not only is he a senior but he has pitched well all year, as well as lately. i looked at Strain and he had 3-4 very good games (say 6 IP, 1 ER) but he also had 3-4 bad games. I have nothing against Strain but, as I said, it is crucial to win the first game so you need to go with your best. Strain and Sheehan would both be going on 5 days rest. Plus, the one who pitches first should theoretically be slightly more rested to pitch in any last game, if we go far enough.

- OR -

On the other hand, maybe you think JMU is weak and you can beat them with your # 2, thereby holding your # 1 for the almost-as-important second game against CofC.

This is why managers get gray hairs. My opinion is that the first win is so important that you might as well go with your best there.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - Tribe32 - 05-19-2019 06:00 AM

I went back to look at the box scores for the JMU series. Strain threw a complete game, gave up one run and struck out 7. Sheehan threw 6 2/3 gave up 3 hits, no runs, and struck out 7. Bullpen blew Sheehan's game. So both of them shut JMU down.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - TribeNomad - 05-19-2019 07:16 AM

Nice turnaround this season, hope they keep it going.

Will the AD retain Murphy for next year?

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - Tribe32 - 05-19-2019 07:46 AM

He's cheap and has a decent overall record (just under .500). We won the conference once in his tenure as head coach (and one when he was top assistant). The only feedback I hear is that he plays favorites, but that's probably just from parents who have kids that don't play as much as they think they should. I've met him a few times. Nice guy, sort of awkward socially, but nothing bad. My only constructive comment is that we have really good AAU baseball programs at the Beach/Chesapeake, Richmond, and NOVA, and he should be getting better in state players IMO.

It's tough to get a full time coach at that salary to stay for long so firing him gets you a lot of unknowns. Jim Farr was the rare exception, and he took off for money in the end.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - HyperDuke - 05-19-2019 02:29 PM

(05-18-2019 05:52 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  Beat the Barnies like a drum!

Do the rest of y’all claim this one? Thought this was the brainiac school!

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - HPLlL - 05-19-2019 03:14 PM

(05-19-2019 07:46 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  He's cheap and has a decent overall record (just under .500). We won the conference once in his tenure as head coach (and one when he was top assistant). The only feedback I hear is that he plays favorites, but that's probably just from parents who have kids that don't play as much as they think they should. I've met him a few times. Nice guy, sort of awkward socially, but nothing bad. My only constructive comment is that we have really good AAU baseball programs at the Beach/Chesapeake, Richmond, and NOVA, and he should be getting better in state players IMO.

It's tough to get a full time coach at that salary to stay for long so firing him gets you a lot of unknowns. Jim Farr was the rare exception, and he took off for money in the end.

I’m retired to this are last year and been involved with baseball for 30 plus years and have “adopted” the Tribe. I watch about 50% of the games but really enjoy going to practices. Murphy seems like a decent guy with a few conversations I’ve encountered, but I honestly don’t understand some of the lineups. There are 2 players that have next level bat bell and pop and neither are the Hunter Smith. One was at the bottom of the order all year and the other one doesn’t seem to play multiple games so he could gain Timing/Rhythm.
I wish them luck next week and hope they can make a run..

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - HPLlL - 05-19-2019 04:12 PM

(05-19-2019 07:46 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  He's cheap and has a decent overall record (just under .500). We won the conference once in his tenure as head coach (and one when he was top assistant). The only feedback I hear is that he plays favorites, but that's probably just from parents who have kids that don't play as much as they think they should. I've met him a few times. Nice guy, sort of awkward socially, but nothing bad. My only constructive comment is that we have really good AAU baseball programs at the Beach/Chesapeake, Richmond, and NOVA, and he should be getting better in state players IMO.

Jim Farr has been this game a long time and knows the game very well.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - bubbadog57 - 05-19-2019 04:37 PM

There is no way to deny that Coach Murphy did a terrific job this year. Coming off an awful season let's not forget they lost 16 consecutively to close the season last year) and picked near or at the bottom of the CAA this season they surprising;y rebounded with a 31 win season and 3rd place in the CAA.

Kudos to Coach Murphy, his staff and the players for this season.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - Tribe32 - 05-19-2019 05:05 PM

Last year was strange to say the least. They also had a lot of 1 run losses if I remember correctly. They couldn't hit at all though. This year's team has been carried mostly by our top pitchers and some good fortune. We get hit by pitch more than any team I can ever remember too.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - nj alum - 05-19-2019 05:24 PM

(05-19-2019 04:37 PM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  There is no way to deny that Coach Murphy did a terrific job this year. Coming off an awful season let's not forget they lost 16 consecutively to close the season last year) and picked near or at the bottom of the CAA this season they surprising;y rebounded with a 31 win season and 3rd place in the CAA.

Kudos to Coach Murphy, his staff and the players for this season.

I’ll remind you of this post when Coach Murphy receives the Tony Shaver treatment from the AD.

RE: 2019 Baseball Season - LeadBolt - 05-19-2019 06:20 PM

(05-19-2019 02:29 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(05-18-2019 05:52 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  Beat the Barnies like a drum!

Do the rest of y’all claim this one? Thought this was the brainiac school!

I'm sorry, but did I miss JMU changing its mascot? At least I got the name change from State Normal School for Women at Harrionsburg, did I not? That was an upgrade from the previous name of "The State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg", imho.

PS - I loved the name of the year book back then, the "Schoolma'am" I believe?