CSNbbs
New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site (/thread-803359.html)

New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - TDenverFan - 12-23-2016 12:38 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/09/17/wizards-new-facility-is-a-boon-for-the-mystics/?utm_term=.3fe30ba73541

I saw the city of DC is building a new 5,000 seat arena for the Washington Mystics. Wonder if the CAA would ever look into that to host the tournament? It's a pretty central location, and would be easier/cheaper to use than the Verizon Center (Which is probably too big). It might be a little on the small side, but no game at last year's tournament exceeded 5k in attendance. I'd rather play the tournament in a sold out venue in DC than a 70% empty one in North Charleston...

Looks like the venue isn't exactly in the heart of DC, which makes sense, but it'll be right next to a metro stop.

http://dc.curbed.com/2016/9/26/13060428/washington-wizards-practice-facility-renderings

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - zablenoise - 12-23-2016 07:48 AM

Wait am I paying taxes towards that? WNBA teams don't need separate facilities.

It would be a bit odd to host a tournament there. I go by St Elizabeth's for work some days and there is truly nothing out there. Maybe the new facility will lead to some growth but I'd wait a few years before putting the tournament there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - LeadBolt - 12-23-2016 07:57 AM

(12-23-2016 07:48 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  Wait am I paying taxes towards that? WNBA teams don't need separate facilities.

It would be a bit odd to host a tournament there. I go by St Elizabeth's for work some days and there is truly nothing out there. Maybe the new facility will lead to some growth but I'd wait a few years before putting the tournament there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you live in the District, I'd think that taxes for a new arena is the least of your problems...

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - Tribe32 - 12-23-2016 09:09 AM

This is not a good part of town, but it is being redeveloped. It's pretty much residential all around the site.

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - J.B. - 12-23-2016 09:14 AM

This looks like the perfect spot for the CAA Tournament.
1. New arena, so probably will be a first class venue
2. Can't really tell, but looks to be relatively easy to drive to, even if it's not a great neighborhood.
3. Metro Stop right nearby.
4. Perfect size arena based on the fan demographics of the new current CAA schools.
5. True neutral site. Reasonable distance from Towson, W&M, JMU, and Drexel, and Delaware.

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - Tribal - 12-23-2016 09:16 AM

I heard the neighborhood is crazy.

One Tribe. One Family.

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - Tribe32 - 12-23-2016 09:23 AM

Very funny, Tribal. It might be a "haunting" environment also. Seriously though.....not a good part of DC and it gets worse as you get into PG county. There really aren't any hotels or restaurants nearby

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - J.B. - 12-23-2016 09:32 AM

(12-23-2016 09:23 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Very funny, Tribal. It might be a "haunting" environment also. Seriously though.....not a good part of DC and it gets worse as you get into PG county. There really aren't any hotels or restaurants nearby

That's what the Metro is for. Is this location worse than North Charleston?

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - hktribefan - 12-23-2016 09:32 AM

The article says it will only seat 4,200. The 5,000 figure is what was originally hoped for. Look at the layout, it looks there will only really be seating on one side. It seems like it's more designed to be a concert venue, and the fact it can host WNBA games is a way to get good PR.

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - tribelifer - 12-23-2016 09:36 AM

I don't see the league using a 5000 seat venue. They get enough flak from schools even in the larger arenas. They may not EVER use them, but the schools want to have the rights to 500 - 1000 seats per school, minimum. I also don't think the league would ever admit to believing they can only sell 5000 tickets.

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - zablenoise - 12-23-2016 09:39 AM

I'm surprised. It's been 10 posts and no one has brought up the obvious St. Elizabeth's - Williamsburg connection.

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - Got Ribe - 12-23-2016 09:48 AM

As I recall, this venue was one of three--Richmond and Charleston being the others--to bid on the tournament in the latest RFP. Say what you want about CAA leadership, but they were quick to realize that it would be unwise to put the tournament in a facility that doesn't actually exist. It still finished ahead of the Richmond Coliseum, though! (Just kidding about that last part.)

My guess is that folks from this venue were just getting acquainted with the CAA folks, and we should expect interest from them when the Charleston deal is done.

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - TDenverFan - 12-23-2016 10:26 AM

(12-23-2016 09:32 AM)hktribefan Wrote:  The article says it will only seat 4,200. The 5,000 figure is what was originally hoped for. Look at the layout, it looks there will only really be seating on one side. It seems like it's more designed to be a concert venue, and the fact it can host WNBA games is a way to get good PR.

The article said at least 4200. It looked like there'd be room for bleachers, albeit a small set, on the opposite side, so maybe they can use temporary bleachers to get to 5k?

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - Sitting bull - 12-23-2016 02:37 PM

I think it's too small. We had near 6,000 in Baltimore for the 2014 Championship.

Given the tourney is in part a money opportunity for the conference, I don't think you want to cap your payback either.

I prefer Baltimore though I think Charleston will draw very well, especially considering UNCW and Charleston are both likely to finish among the top four this year. They are also the leagues two biggest home draws.

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site - J.B. - 12-23-2016 02:56 PM

I know that the WBB tournament is set for JMU, Drexel, and Delaware in the next 3 years, but if the coaches change their mind again and want to go back to a neutral location, this could arena could be a good spot for that tournament.