Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site
Bookmark and Share
TDenverFan Online
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spor...e30ba73541

I saw the city of DC is building a new 5,000 seat arena for the Washington Mystics. Wonder if the CAA would ever look into that to host the tournament? It's a pretty central location, and would be easier/cheaper to use than the Verizon Center (Which is probably too big). It might be a little on the small side, but no game at last year's tournament exceeded 5k in attendance. I'd rather play the tournament in a sold out venue in DC than a 70% empty one in North Charleston...

Looks like the venue isn't exactly in the heart of DC, which makes sense, but it'll be right next to a metro stop.

http://dc.curbed.com/2016/9/26/13060428/...renderings
12-23-2016 12:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

RE: New DC Basketball Arena/Potential CAA tournament site
Wait am I paying taxes towards that? WNBA teams don't need separate facilities.

It would be a bit odd to host a tournament there. I go by St Elizabeth's for work some days and there is truly nothing out there. Maybe the new facility will lead to some growth but I'd wait a few years before putting the tournament there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
12-23-2016 07:48 AM
LeadBolt Online
All American

(12-23-2016 07:48 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  Wait am I paying taxes towards that? WNBA teams don't need separate facilities.

It would be a bit odd to host a tournament there. I go by St Elizabeth's for work some days and there is truly nothing out there. Maybe the new facility will lead to some growth but I'd wait a few years before putting the tournament there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you live in the District, I'd think that taxes for a new arena is the least of your problems...
12-23-2016 07:57 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
This is not a good part of town, but it is being redeveloped. It's pretty much residential all around the site.
12-23-2016 09:09 AM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

I Root For: Drexel
This looks like the perfect spot for the CAA Tournament.
1. New arena, so probably will be a first class venue
2. Can't really tell, but looks to be relatively easy to drive to, even if it's not a great neighborhood.
3. Metro Stop right nearby.
4. Perfect size arena based on the fan demographics of the new current CAA schools.
5. True neutral site. Reasonable distance from Towson, W&M, JMU, and Drexel, and Delaware.
12-23-2016 09:14 AM
Tribal Offline

I heard the neighborhood is crazy.

One Tribe. One Family.
12-23-2016 09:16 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
Very funny, Tribal. It might be a "haunting" environment also. Seriously though.....not a good part of DC and it gets worse as you get into PG county. There really aren't any hotels or restaurants nearby
12-23-2016 09:23 AM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

(12-23-2016 09:23 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Very funny, Tribal. It might be a "haunting" environment also. Seriously though.....not a good part of DC and it gets worse as you get into PG county. There really aren't any hotels or restaurants nearby

That's what the Metro is for. Is this location worse than North Charleston?
12-23-2016 09:32 AM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

The article says it will only seat 4,200. The 5,000 figure is what was originally hoped for. Look at the layout, it looks there will only really be seating on one side. It seems like it's more designed to be a concert venue, and the fact it can host WNBA games is a way to get good PR.
12-23-2016 09:32 AM
tribelifer Offline
1st String

I don't see the league using a 5000 seat venue. They get enough flak from schools even in the larger arenas. They may not EVER use them, but the schools want to have the rights to 500 - 1000 seats per school, minimum. I also don't think the league would ever admit to believing they can only sell 5000 tickets.
12-23-2016 09:36 AM
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I'm surprised. It's been 10 posts and no one has brought up the obvious St. Elizabeth's - Williamsburg connection.
12-23-2016 09:39 AM
Got Ribe Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: W&M
As I recall, this venue was one of three--Richmond and Charleston being the others--to bid on the tournament in the latest RFP. Say what you want about CAA leadership, but they were quick to realize that it would be unwise to put the tournament in a facility that doesn't actually exist. It still finished ahead of the Richmond Coliseum, though! (Just kidding about that last part.)

My guess is that folks from this venue were just getting acquainted with the CAA folks, and we should expect interest from them when the Charleston deal is done.
12-23-2016 09:48 AM
TDenverFan Online
All American

(12-23-2016 09:32 AM)hktribefan Wrote:  The article says it will only seat 4,200. The 5,000 figure is what was originally hoped for. Look at the layout, it looks there will only really be seating on one side. It seems like it's more designed to be a concert venue, and the fact it can host WNBA games is a way to get good PR.

The article said at least 4200. It looked like there'd be room for bleachers, albeit a small set, on the opposite side, so maybe they can use temporary bleachers to get to 5k?
12-23-2016 10:26 AM
Advertisement

Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
I think it's too small. We had near 6,000 in Baltimore for the 2014 Championship.

Given the tourney is in part a money opportunity for the conference, I don't think you want to cap your payback either.

I prefer Baltimore though I think Charleston will draw very well, especially considering UNCW and Charleston are both likely to finish among the top four this year. They are also the leagues two biggest home draws.
12-23-2016 02:37 PM
J.B. Offline

I know that the WBB tournament is set for JMU, Drexel, and Delaware in the next 3 years, but if the coaches change their mind again and want to go back to a neutral location, this could arena could be a good spot for that tournament.
12-23-2016 02:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.