Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Higher Education Bubble - NIU
Bookmark and Share
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Higher Education Bubble - NIU
Education at NIU is emblematic of higher education across the country. "NIU hosts seminar on ending "White Linguistic Hegemony".

https://www.thecollegefix.com/niu-hosts-...-hegemony/
12-10-2023 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
RE: Higher Education Bubble - NIU
(12-10-2023 11:19 AM)NIU05 Wrote:  Education at NIU is emblematic of higher education across the country. "NIU hosts seminar on ending "White Linguistic Hegemony".

I wonder how much NIU paid Baker-Bell for this workshop?
12-10-2023 01:43 PM
El Duderino Offline
Special Teams

(12-10-2023 11:19 AM)NIU05 Wrote:  Education at NIU is emblematic of higher education across the country. "NIU hosts seminar on ending "White Linguistic Hegemony".

You are 100% correct. And some wonder why about declining enrollment at NIU!!!
Giddy Smirk was forced to resign from Penn yesterday after testifying in front of Congress this past week aptly demonstrating her lack of decency, morals, and principles. The same rot infecting NIU.
12-10-2023 02:23 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(12-10-2023 02:23 PM)El Duderino Wrote:  

Giddy Smirk was forced to resign from Penn yesterday after testifying in front of Congress this past week aptly demonstrating her lack of decency, morals, and principles. The same rot infecting NIU.

Yep, bizarre how President Freeman and her regime racialize everything, so polarizing. Build a diverse, chill, centrist, unified NIU. She's killing overall enrollment with her Hispanic-Serving Institution obsession.

After years of trying she barley got to the necessary 25% hispanic ratio, it will be difficult to hold it year after year (a requirement), and any extra federal $ received by a Hispanic-Serving NIU will not outweigh the $ and momentum from simply having 20,000+ students again, the whole thing is so dumb. And if drop below 25%, or the Fed. program is altered or phased out, we're left with a decade-long enrollment debacle, with no extra $ to show for it.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2023 07:40 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
12-10-2023 04:06 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FIRETRUCK?!?!?

I pray for my kids and their kids….
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2023 04:45 PM by thxjoenovak.)
12-10-2023 04:44 PM
Klake1987 Offline
2nd String

Look at the Presidents from the ivy league. Higher education is screwed.
12-10-2023 05:03 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
(12-10-2023 04:06 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(12-10-2023 02:23 PM)El Duderino Wrote:  

Yep, bizarre how President Freeman and her regime racialize everything, so polarizing. Build a diverse, chill, centrist, unified NIU. She's killing overall enrollment with her Hispanic-Serving Institution obsession.

After years of trying she barley got to the necessary 25% hispanic ratio, it will be difficult to hold it year after year (a requirement), and any extra federal $ received by a Hispanic-Serving NIU will not outweigh the $ and momentum from simply having 20,000+ students again, the whole thing is so dumb. And if drop below 25%, or the Fed. program is altered or phased out, we're left with a decade-long enrollment debacle.

Its amazing how many people do not realize or just ignore the rot Freeman has brought to NIU. They just think she is a harmless administrator trying hard to increase NIU enrollment. Nothing could be farther from the truth. People blame Covid, declining state population etc. for NIU's decline. It is actions like the pursuit of "Diversity" above that is killing NIU. She needs to go before NIU decline is irreversible.
12-11-2023 07:38 AM
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
MODS: can we get this moved to spayed and neutered?

An alternative opinion was presented at NIU that doesn't align with the board and its "the end of higher education." Look I don't agree with the presentation either, but part of the college is about being exposed to other ideas, debating them and mulling them over. Some are absurd (see this presentation), others might seem great at the time but don't age well.

But to think this is somehow tied to the Israeli / Palestinian protest and higher ed at large? c'mon. I think that's the real proof that NIU might be handing out degrees to anyone.

Esp coming from a hilariously biased site like "The College Fix," do a little background research on where you're getting your stories.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2023 11:23 AM by thehappyhuskie.)
12-11-2023 11:21 AM
Big Red Online
All American

(12-11-2023 11:21 AM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  MODS: can we get this moved to spayed and neutered?

An alternative opinion was presented at NIU that doesn't align with the board and its "the end of higher education." Look I don't agree with the presentation either, but part of the college is about being exposed to other ideas, debating them and mulling them over. Some are absurd (see this presentation), others might seem great at the time but don't age well. But to think this is somehow tied to the Israeli / Palestinian protest and higher ed at large? c'mon. I think that's the real proof that NIU might be handing out degrees to anyone.

Personally, I don't think this is true anymore.
12-11-2023 11:24 AM
huskies77 Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-11-2023 11:24 AM)Big Red Wrote:  
(12-11-2023 11:21 AM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  MODS: can we get this moved to spayed and neutered?

An alternative opinion was presented at NIU that doesn't align with the board and its "the end of higher education." Look I don't agree with the presentation either, but part of the college is about being exposed to other ideas, debating them and mulling them over. Some are absurd (see this presentation), others might seem great at the time but don't age well. But to think this is somehow tied to the Israeli / Palestinian protest and higher ed at large? c'mon. I think that's the real proof that NIU might be handing out degrees to anyone.

Personally, I don't think this is true anymore.
12-11-2023 01:16 PM
huskies77 Offline
Bench Warmer

Big Red says "
Personally, I don't think this is true anymore."

Of course it is still true...certainly such exchanges of debates about these issues are still taking place in dorm rooms, student union and whereever students gather as well as in the classrooms like such issues have been discussed for decades. Having grandchildren in college currently and for a few years, these "kids" are engaged, aware and involved in the current events of the day.
12-11-2023 01:20 PM
Advertisement

Big Red Online
All American

(12-11-2023 01:20 PM)huskies77 Wrote:  Big Red says "

Of course it is still true...certainly such exchanges of debates about these issues are still taking place in dorm rooms, student union and whereever students gather as well as in the classrooms like such issues have been discussed for decades. Having grandchildren in college currently and for a few years, these "kids" are engaged, aware and involved in the current events of the day.

As Obi-wan might say..."from a certain perspective".
12-11-2023 01:27 PM
The Huskie Offline
Special Teams

An alternative opinion was presented at NIU that doesn't align with the board and its "the end of higher education." Look I don't agree with the presentation either, but part of the college is about being exposed to other ideas, debating them and mulling them over. Some are absurd (see this presentation), others might seem great at the time but don't age well.

But to think this is somehow tied to the Israeli / Palestinian protest and higher ed at large? c'mon. I think that's the real proof that NIU might be handing out degrees to anyone.

Esp coming from a hilariously biased site like "The College Fix," do a little background research on where you're getting your stories.

Mods, please keep this discussion where it is. This situation is very relevant to NIU. Due to the woke actions of Penn's University President, the university lost a $100 Million dollar donation. Actions like Penn's president can have massive consequences and NIU's President is on the same crazy level as Penn's.

Penn loses $100 million donation over antisemitism hearing
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/penn-l...r-AA1lahi7
12-11-2023 01:37 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

Woke not woke. Regardless, the university has a massive budget deficit and enrollment is down tremendously from where it was just a decade ago. We are not on the right path and are more than likely a candidate for consolidation in the near future, unless something changes. And yes depopulation of Illinois and lack of state funding is an issue, but our friends at Illinois State University don't seem to see that as stopping them from capital improvements, a new stadium and increases to their enrollment.
12-11-2023 02:24 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-11-2023 01:27 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Not speaking to Big Red directly, but I find it this concept of college being the place of open debate and free thinking to be downright arrogant. Working on a four year degree isn't a qualification for thinking about the world.

I'd also say that the amount of time spent on these idealized debates are directly related to one's chosen field of study. I'm thinking there aren't a lot of engineering or accounting (or finance) majors protesting at the student center.

The whole college is about more than just book education discussion has swung way too far out of balance. If you look at student loans, costs of a degree, what financial value certain degrees bring in the future, etc., we are really out of whack

And, from GBF's chair, Big Red is right with his reference to certain perspectives.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2023 03:28 PM by GeorgeBorkFan.)
12-11-2023 03:28 PM
Big Red Online
All American

(12-11-2023 03:28 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  
(12-11-2023 01:27 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Not speaking to Big Red directly, but I find it this concept of college being the place of open debate and free thinking to be downright arrogant. Working on a four year degree isn't a qualification for thinking about the world.

I'd also say that the amount of time spent on these idealized debates are directly related to one's chosen field of study. I'm thinking there aren't a lot of engineering or accounting (or finance) majors protesting at the student center.

The whole college is about more than just book education discussion has swung way too far out of balance. If you look at student loans, costs of a degree, what financial value certain degrees bring in the future, etc., we are really out of whack

And, from GBF's chair, Big Red is right with his reference to certain perspectives.

I think the point made about the Penn president speaks volumes. If I'm not mistaken, the president of Harvard were asked the same questions and neither of them did well...even though they were right.

As for those protests, which are supported and encouraged. What would happen if a group of students staged a protest in support of Isreal and against Palestine/Hamas.

My guess is it wouldn't be met with such openness and would get shut down pretty quick.

That is not encouraging open debate and sharing of different perspectives. That is indicating that one is right (accepted) and the other is wrong (unacceptable). If you can't have two viewpoints (and this is just one of many topics) then there isn't open debate and a sharing of ideas.
12-11-2023 04:06 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(12-11-2023 02:24 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  Woke not woke. Regardless, the university has a massive budget deficit and enrollment is down tremendously from where it was just a decade ago. We are not on the right path and are more than likely a candidate for consolidation in the near future, unless something changes. And yes depopulation of Illinois and lack of state funding is an issue, but our friends at Illinois State University don't seem to see that as stopping them from capital improvements, a new stadium and increases to their enrollment.

Also, Illinois population has only gone down slightly, about 18,000 over the past decade, so that isn't it. Have a feeling that crime in DeKalb, or the perception of it, is a much bigger part of it. I can't speak to what the leaders at NIU should do other than to say that what they're doing now, if anything, isn't working.
12-11-2023 04:19 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
This was a workshop for faculty and graduate students. 99% of people at NIU probably don't even know this happened. This is not the problem.
12-11-2023 04:23 PM
The Huskie Offline
Special Teams

(12-11-2023 04:23 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  This was a workshop for faculty and graduate students. 99% of people at NIU probably don't even know this happened. This is not the problem.

According to the announcement that the University put out, the lecture was open to students, faculty and staff, the general public and prospective students. I do not know who specifically attended but the invite to all was advertised.

https://calendar.niu.edu/event/departmen...cture_8336
12-11-2023 05:02 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan

I’m in higher education and believe me, the “King’s English” died a long time ago. This professor will get her wish soon enough — a nation full of youths speaking like illiterate gangbangers.
12-11-2023 07:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.