Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Week EMU at Jacksonville St September 23 2023
Bookmark and Share
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
For comments regarding the upcoming game.

I have one to make, a common call has been pass interference against our DBs. This is due to the aggressive play where our DBs are playing the ball. The secondary this year are real ball hawks-look at the interception totals. This is without Scott who may be our best DB.
09-18-2023 02:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
EMU is a 6 point underdog. The O/U is 51.
09-18-2023 06:19 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

RE: Game Week EMU at Jacksonville St September 23 2023
If we’re going to win the MAC, then this is a must win.

EMU 29 Jax 25
09-18-2023 08:30 AM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(09-18-2023 08:30 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  If we’re going to win the MAC, then this is a must win.

EMU 29 Jax 25
Love your optimism..........If we play like we did against UMass, then we'll lose by 3 TDs! Evans needs to carry the ball 25 times.......Defense can't be on the field the majority of the game.......Smith has to throw with confidence for us to have a really good chance..........This game will.tell us alot about this team.......
EMU 24 Jacksonville 22, if Evans gets 25 touches and rushes for 150 yds, Smith completes 67% of his passes, 20-29 200 yds, and 2 TDs, if this doesn't happen then, Jacksonville St 35 EMU 20..........Let's get to 3-1
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2023 10:50 AM by EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's.)
09-18-2023 10:49 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2023 10:49 AM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  
(09-18-2023 08:30 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  If we’re going to win the MAC, then this is a must win.

EMU 29 Jax 25
Love your optimism..........If we play like we did against UMass, then we'll lose by 3 TDs! Evans needs to carry the ball 25 times.......Defense can't be on the field the majority of the game.......Smith has to throw with confidence for us to have a really good chance..........This game will.tell us alot about this team.......
EMU 24 Jacksonville 22, if Evans gets 25 touches and rushes for 150 yds, Smith completes 67% of his passes, 20-29 200 yds, and 2 TDs, if this doesn't happen then, Jacksonville St 35 EMU 20..........Let's get to 3-1
If EMU can contain JSU's run game then EMU should keep them under 24 points, possibly even under 20. It doesn't appear that they have a strong passing game.

JSU is probably saying the exact same thing about EMU, but I'm confident that the coaches are going to be adjusting the play calling to help Austin.
09-18-2023 11:04 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(09-18-2023 11:04 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(09-18-2023 10:49 AM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  

EMU 29 Jax 25
If EMU can contain JSU's run game then EMU should keep them under 24 points, possibly even under 20. It doesn't appear that they have a strong passing game.

JSU is probably saying the exact same thing about EMU, but I'm confident that the coaches are going to be adjusting the play calling to help Austin.

The question might be are we going to see all of the 2-deep defenders who are well enough to play???

As I say, what I HATE about college sports is the lack of transparency on injuries.

We don't know if a player has a minor injury, serious or sitting out for other reasons.

At least in MLB for example I can look up the injury status of any MLB player.
09-18-2023 12:09 PM
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Friends,
Jacksonville State is 2-1. They lost to Coastal Carolina 30-16. It's hard to figure how good they are because they beat Texas Ei Paso 17-14 for one of their wins. I think we are very similar programs, but this is their first season in FBS, if that makes any difference.
I'm going with Eastern to win 24-14.
09-18-2023 12:53 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

this game will be about coaching. Here me out....

If CC and Piatkowski can develop a game plan to better utilize Austin at QB then we have a chance. If they stick to what they gameplanned the first 3 weeks, we are toast.

It's not hard....roll him out with a TE or RB as a short route dump off and we can stay on the field and keep the defense on the bench. Secondly, utilize a screen allowing Knue or Jaylon to get in space. Austin has struggled in the pocket, so it's time to get creative.

I've been happy on the defensive side of the ball as I think our secondary and linebackers have been bright spots. Offensively CC is admitting it's not been good so hopefully this week they coach a good/creative game plan.

3-1 would be great, but again if we play like have been it's very likely a 2-2 start to MAC play hoping we get to 7 wins.
09-18-2023 01:14 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
IMO, if EMU gets their O going better this week, they'll very possibly win this game on the road. If not, they'll lose unless JSU has too many turnovers.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2023 02:01 PM by toddjnsn.)
09-18-2023 02:00 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(09-18-2023 02:00 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  IMO, if EMU gets their O going better this week, they'll very possibly win this game on the road. If not, they'll lose unless JSU has too many turnovers.

I would agree!
09-18-2023 05:42 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

EMU 29 Jax 25
Perfect example of what a 'must win' game is NOT. Dude, they're not in the MAC, so obviously not a must win-- to win the MAC. 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2023 08:26 PM by Bob Wickersham.)
09-18-2023 08:25 PM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2023 08:25 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

EMU 29 Jax 25
Perfect example of what a 'must win' game is NOT. Dude, they're not in the MAC, so obviously not must win to win the MAC. 03-lmfao

Dude - calm down. Jax is similar to MAC schools. So if we’re going to win the MAC we will need to win games like this on the road. Sheesh
09-18-2023 08:29 PM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

Not really sure what to make of this game, or really this team. We had our normal performance against a FCS team, had a similar game against UMass to the one we had last year, and had a game against a power five school on the road where we were kind of competitive. Part of me thinks we are going to keep struggling and hopefully land at 6-6 and make a bowl, but this also isn't that different then then start to last season and we all know how that ended up. So, I also kind of think we are just going to all of the sudden get rolling one of these days.

Overall though, I haven't been impressed by the offense...like everyone is worried about...its the passing game. Smith has struggled in multiple areas, and the WRs haven't been able to make plays. I'd like to see more of an effort to run the ball, but for whatever reason they seem to go away from it. I'm not sure what is going on with Evans? They don't have him start the game, last week he seemed to be benched, I don't know if it was do the the fumble or what...just seems off. Smith could be more involved in the run game, but Rob Rubick made a good point during the radio broadcast last week; he talked about how he and Creighton discussed how Smith is not a quick twitch kind of guy (like Jackson for example), he has good speed but is more of a straight line runner. He showed that on his long run towards the end of the game, but he isn't going to make guys miss that often. I know a lot of us have talked/hoped for a look at one or both of the other QBs, but I don't think it is going to happen. If one of the backups were outplaying Smith in practice I have to think he'd get a shot just based on how Smith has played so far. Also, if you remember, even after Powell returned from injury last year they tried to stick with Smith...so I think the staff just really likes him.

The defense has been pretty good/normal for an EMU D. I feel our defense is like a pitcher in baseball who has the bases loaded with no outs and ends up only giving up a run or two...he "limits the damage". Our defense always seems to give up yards, but they come up with a turnover, a 4th down stop, a field goal, they....limit the damage.

We are all familiar with Rich Rod, they are going to try and run the ball. Even in their loss to Coastal Carolina they ran for 186 yards, but only put up 16 points. I'm not afraid of them beating us through the air (especially if Scott can play) so hopefully we can hold them to something like 150-180 on the ground (they average over 200). If we can do that I think we have a good chance. Unfortunately I don't see guys like Haney or Merritt even listed on the depth chart this week...but we all know that doesn't always mean much, they would be helpful against the run. Their defensive numbers are pretty good, but the one good team they played (Coastal) was able to throw for 268 yards and run for 131 more. Hopefully the WRs can get some space and Smith can make some plays!

ESPN only has us with a 27.2% chance of winning by the way. Supposed to be cloudy and 82 degrees so weather shouldn't be a factor.
09-19-2023 07:42 AM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(09-19-2023 07:42 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  Not really sure what to make of this game, or really this team. We had our normal performance against a FCS team, had a similar game against UMass to the one we had last year, and had a game against a power five school on the road where we were kind of competitive. Part of me thinks we are going to keep struggling and hopefully land at 6-6 and make a bowl, but this also isn't that different then then start to last season and we all know how that ended up. So, I also kind of think we are just going to all of the sudden get rolling one of these days.

Overall though, I haven't been impressed by the offense...like everyone is worried about...its the passing game. Smith has struggled in multiple areas, and the WRs haven't been able to make plays. I'd like to see more of an effort to run the ball, but for whatever reason they seem to go away from it. I'm not sure what is going on with Evans? They don't have him start the game, last week he seemed to be benched, I don't know if it was do the the fumble or what...just seems off. Smith could be more involved in the run game, but Rob Rubick made a good point during the radio broadcast last week; he talked about how he and Creighton discussed how Smith is not a quick twitch kind of guy (like Jackson for example), he has good speed but is more of a straight line runner. He showed that on his long run towards the end of the game, but he isn't going to make guys miss that often. I know a lot of us have talked/hoped for a look at one or both of the other QBs, but I don't think it is going to happen. If one of the backups were outplaying Smith in practice I have to think he'd get a shot just based on how Smith has played so far. Also, if you remember, even after Powell returned from injury last year they tried to stick with Smith...so I think the staff just really likes him.

The defense has been pretty good/normal for an EMU D. I feel our defense is like a pitcher in baseball who has the bases loaded with no outs and ends up only giving up a run or two...he "limits the damage". Our defense always seems to give up yards, but they come up with a turnover, a 4th down stop, a field goal, they....limit the damage.

We are all familiar with Rich Rod, they are going to try and run the ball. Even in their loss to Coastal Carolina they ran for 186 yards, but only put up 16 points. I'm not afraid of them beating us through the air (especially if Scott can play) so hopefully we can hold them to something like 150-180 on the ground (they average over 200). If we can do that I think we have a good chance. Unfortunately I don't see guys like Haney or Merritt even listed on the depth chart this week...but we all know that doesn't always mean much, they would be helpful against the run. Their defensive numbers are pretty good, but the one good team they played (Coastal) was able to throw for 268 yards and run for 131 more. Hopefully the WRs can get some space and Smith can make some plays!

ESPN only has us with a 27.2% chance of winning by the way. Supposed to be cloudy and 82 degrees so weather shouldn't be a factor.

Good Analysis Sellers. I'm not sure what is going on with the depth charts, but if we can get healthy on the defensive side with Scott, Merrit, Haney and the coaches come up with some creativity/game-plan for Austin to be more effective, then we stand a good chance. I havent been as impressed as I thought I would be with this team and a lot of that has to do with what I perceived as momentum from the 9-4 season and the way we handled teams at the end of the year. Hopeful we can figure it out. The bottom line is that we are 2-1 (where I think most of us thought we would be) and we havent played remotely close to our potential offensively.
09-19-2023 07:56 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(09-19-2023 07:56 AM)steve4840 Wrote:  
(09-19-2023 07:42 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  Not really sure what to make of this game, or really this team. We had our normal performance against a FCS team, had a similar game against UMass to the one we had last year, and had a game against a power five school on the road where we were kind of competitive. Part of me thinks we are going to keep struggling and hopefully land at 6-6 and make a bowl, but this also isn't that different then then start to last season and we all know how that ended up. So, I also kind of think we are just going to all of the sudden get rolling one of these days.

Good Analysis Sellers. I'm not sure what is going on with the depth charts, but if we can get healthy on the defensive side with Scott, Merrit, Haney and the coaches come up with some creativity/game-plan for Austin to be more effective, then we stand a good chance. I havent been as impressed as I thought I would be with this team and a lot of that has to do with what I perceived as momentum from the 9-4 season and the way we handled teams at the end of the year. Hopeful we can figure it out. The bottom line is that we are 2-1 (where I think most of us thought we would be) and we havent played remotely close to our potential offensively.

It seems to me that the replacements for the senior WRs OL and DLs we lost frankly aren't as good. On the other hand our DB may have gotten better than last year
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2023 01:56 PM by emu79.)
09-19-2023 09:30 AM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
(09-19-2023 09:30 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

It seems to me that the replacements for the senior WRs OL andDLs we lost frankly aren't as good. On the other hand our DB may have gotten better than last year

For even the most talented of players, there are things that can't be taught/learned outside of true in-game experience. You can drill and scrimmage until the cows come home, and still be missing a beat the first few times you hit the field in actual games. The question is will these guys continue to develop and grow with each game? They have one more game before conference play starts. Jacksonville State will be a test, as well as one more opportunity to learn.

Then it's on to Central. They have two losses, but those are against MSU and Notre Dame. It will be interesting to see what happens to them against South Alabama. I'd like to see the Chps win so they don't walk into the game against the Eagles feeling they have to prove something.

I doubt we'll see the full starting version of the Eagles against JS that we will see once conference play starts against Central. I think keeping guys healthy and fresh is part of the strategy going into the Central game. If the Eagles get up comfortably against JS, I would expect to see a few key guys on the sideline to keep them safe.
09-19-2023 01:07 PM
Advertisement

masttg Offline
1st String

(09-19-2023 01:07 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  

It seems to me that the replacements for the senior WRs OL andDLs we lost frankly aren't as good. On the other hand our DB may have gotten better than last year

For even the most talented of players, there are things that can't be taught/learned outside of true in-game experience. You can drill and scrimmage until the cows come home, and still be missing a beat the first few times you hit the field in actual games. The question is will these guys continue to develop and grow with each game? They have one more game before conference play starts. Jacksonville State will be a test, as well as one more opportunity to learn.

Then it's on to Central. They have two losses, but those are against MSU and Notre Dame. It will be interesting to see what happens to them against South Alabama. I'd like to see the Chps win so they don't walk into the game against the Eagles feeling they have to prove something.

I doubt we'll see the full starting version of the Eagles against JS that we will see once conference play starts against Central. I think keeping guys healthy and fresh is part of the strategy going into the Central game. If the Eagles get up comfortably against JS, I would expect to see a few key guys on the sideline to keep them safe.
But also not getting real reps and learning.
09-19-2023 02:10 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(09-19-2023 02:10 PM)masttg Wrote:  
(09-19-2023 01:07 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  

But also not getting real reps and learning.

you're not getting what Cid is saying. if we are up big, they have gotten their reps. I would love nothing more than to get up big and let the 2's and 3's get reps. We have MAJOR holes to fill once this graduating class leaves. we will be losing Dooley, Howie, Sparacio, Kline, Evans, Jaylon, etc. The good news is that our recent recruiting classes have been exceptional and they will have their work cut out for them
09-19-2023 02:44 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I don't know a damn thing about Jacksonville State but I do know Eastern is not going to lose to a team named Jacksonville State. There is no way.
09-19-2023 04:25 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

09-19-2023 07:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.