Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

bengals
Bookmark and Share
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
bengals
gadzooks! terrible way for a game to end. can't see how it's possible to even make that game up. so onto the final playoff push. is lamar playing this week? i can't see how it should make that much of a difference. anything can happen in the nfl but i have a hard time not seeing the 'gals roll onto to the super bowl. buffalo's the only unknown still

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2023 09:44 AM by Lush.)
01-03-2023 07:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
RE: benglas playoffs
What can they do with that last night if they can’t reschedule it and finish it? Calling it a no contest would essentially give Kansas City the 1 seed, and would take away the Bengals chances of the 1 or 2 seed. It would also mean the Bengals would clinch the AFC North regardless of what happens with Baltimore next week.

01-03-2023 10:51 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-03-2023 10:51 AM)BcatMatt13 Wrote:  What can they do with that last night if they can’t reschedule it and finish it? Calling it a no contest would essentially give Kansas City the 1 seed, and would take away the Bengals chances of the 1 or 2 seed. It would also mean the Bengals would clinch the AFC North regardless of what happens with Baltimore next week.

It looks like you just answered your own question. I don't foresee a way to make it up, unless you push the playoff games back a week, and reduce the Superbowl cook time from 2 weeks into 1 week. Even that is not realistic.

Tickets were going for $1000s last week. What happens to all of those people? Bad luck all around.

01-03-2023 02:52 PM
bcat1997 Offline
All American

Prayers for Hamlin. I was surprised it wasn't rescheduled for tonight. I get postponing last night as players were in shock, but not playing this week altogether creates huge scheduling problems. I think the NFL is running scared on player safety and they weren't going to look any further insensitive. I think you have to play this game. More for the Bills than for us. The 1 seed is a huge advantage with bye and home field thru playoffs. I was doing some quick calculations on tiebreaker and if they do cancel game I think we could still get 2 seed with Bills loss and Bengals win this week.

01-03-2023 04:13 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
(01-03-2023 04:13 PM)bcat1997 Wrote:  Prayers for Hamlin. I was surprised it wasn't rescheduled for tonight. I get postponing last night as players were in shock, but not playing this week altogether creates huge scheduling problems. I think the NFL is running scared on player safety and they weren't going to look any further insensitive. I think you have to play this game. More for the Bills than for us. The 1 seed is a huge advantage with bye and home field thru playoffs. I was doing some quick calculations on tiebreaker and if they do cancel game I think we could still get 2 seed with Bills loss and Bengals win this week.

Jesus christ man. It's just a game. If the guys who spill their guts out every week to play this one don't want to play it then who cares. Scheduling headaches are so irrelevant when the dude's life is literally hanging in the balance.

Based on reporting from today, it also seems the NFL was the only entity that wanted the game to proceed last night before Zac Taylor and Sean McDermott stepped up.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2023 04:27 PM by Cataclysmo.)
01-03-2023 04:26 PM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-03-2023 04:26 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(01-03-2023 04:13 PM)bcat1997 Wrote:  Prayers for Hamlin. I was surprised it wasn't rescheduled for tonight. I get postponing last night as players were in shock, but not playing this week altogether creates huge scheduling problems. I think the NFL is running scared on player safety and they weren't going to look any further insensitive. I think you have to play this game. More for the Bills than for us. The 1 seed is a huge advantage with bye and home field thru playoffs. I was doing some quick calculations on tiebreaker and if they do cancel game I think we could still get 2 seed with Bills loss and Bengals win this week.

Jesus christ man. It's just a game. If the guys who spill their guts out every week to play this one don't want to play it then who cares. Scheduling headaches are so irrelevant when the dude's life is literally hanging in the balance.

Based on reporting from today, it also seems the NFL was the only entity that wanted the game to proceed last night before Zac Taylor and Sean McDermott stepped up.

Depends on who you believe. NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent came out today and flat out denied that they were even considering restarting the game.

ESPN then came out with a statement saying they reported what they were told by the league office.

01-03-2023 04:42 PM
Advertisement

Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2023 04:42 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  Depends on who you believe. NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent came out today and flat out denied that they were even considering restarting the game.

ESPN then came out with a statement saying they reported what they were told by the league office.

I don't really see why Joe Buck would lie about getting that info from the league office. I can think of a very obvious reason why the NFL league offices would lie.

Maybe there's a twist that comes out but it seems like the NFL was ready to proceed.

01-03-2023 05:06 PM
bcat1997 Offline
All American

My wife had a supervisor die of a heart attack in the office and they sent people home and everyone came back to work the next day. It sucks, but that's how business/jobs work. Why is the NFL any different? The players can root for Hamlin's recovery and still do their job. Not trying to be insensitive, just way of the world. Now that the game wasn't played the options are limited and some team or teams are going to get screwed on seeding.

01-04-2023 09:26 PM
cmhcat Offline
Special Teams

(01-04-2023 09:26 PM)bcat1997 Wrote:  

My wife had a supervisor die of a heart attack in the office and they sent people home and everyone came back to work the next day. It sucks, but that's how business/jobs work. Why is the NFL any different? The players can root for Hamlin's recovery and still do their job. Not trying to be insensitive, just way of the world. Now that the game wasn't played the options are limited and some team or teams are going to get screwed on seeding.

I have never heard of a company indefinitely shutting down operations after the death of an employee (which hopefully and seemingly won't occur in this case). I have seen this happen a couple of times in my career and everyone came to work the next day. Any of us could drop at any moment...it's life and it continues on--except in this case. I don't care about the impact on the league or anyone from not playing, I'm just trying to understand how this case is so different from the illnesses, accidents, shootings, etc. that occur every hour of every day to young people and the world has to and does move on.

01-05-2023 10:00 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

This is the expectation of physicians and other healthcare workers, who are exposed to resuscitation commonly and are asked to cope with so much. If you're running a business and your employees watch one of their coworkers fight for their life on the office floor you should take time off. Not only for the well being of employees but also because you don't want traumatized people handling important matters. People legitimately get PTSD from watching resuscitation, and it's fairly common following cardiac arrest events. Even if your company hates labor rights; it's absolutely something people should fight for in their workplaces if it doesn't exist already.

Frankly, I think there are probably physicians who would attest to the argument that doctors and nurses need more support too.

I realize not everyone has the luxury of being able to provide that for employees.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2023 11:11 AM by Cataclysmo.)
01-05-2023 10:24 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

[Image: Flt_26XXgAE0Of0?format=png&name=medium]

Incredible news

01-05-2023 11:10 AM
Advertisement

bcat1997 Offline
All American

(01-05-2023 10:00 AM)cmhcat Wrote:  

I have never heard of a company indefinitely shutting down operations after the death of an employee (which hopefully and seemingly won't occur in this case). I have seen this happen a couple of times in my career and everyone came to work the next day. Any of us could drop at any moment...it's life and it continues on--except in this case. I don't care about the impact on the league or anyone from not playing, I'm just trying to understand how this case is so different from the illnesses, accidents, shootings, etc. that occur every hour of every day to young people and the world has to and does move on.

They are reportedly going to declare no contest on the game. Now we have to go to Buffalo and KC to make the SB. No way we can clear that hurdle. And we were taking that Buffalo game. What a shame.

01-05-2023 11:41 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

The Cincinnati Curse lives on.

01-05-2023 12:49 PM
cincybb51 Offline
BEARCAT FOREVER

I Root For: UC,Bengals,
(01-05-2023 11:41 AM)bcat1997 Wrote:  

They are reportedly going to declare no contest on the game. Now we have to go to Buffalo and KC to make the SB. No way we can clear that hurdle. And we were taking that Buffalo game. What a shame.
For the teams won/loss records for the year the no contest is correct. But just for the calculation for seeding purposes for the playoffs the Bengals should be rewarded a win and Buffalo a loss with an asterisk in the record book in my bias Bengal fan view. There can't be any real fairness in this situation but Buffalo should not clearly benefit from the postponement.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2023 06:42 PM by cincybb51.)
01-05-2023 06:38 PM
BearcatDave Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-05-2023 06:38 PM)cincybb51 Wrote:  
(01-05-2023 11:41 AM)bcat1997 Wrote:  
(01-03-2023 04:26 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Jesus christ man. It's just a game. If the guys who spill their guts out every week to play this one don't want to play it then who cares. Scheduling headaches are so irrelevant when the dude's life is literally hanging in the balance.

For the teams won/loss records for the year the no contest is correct. But just for the calculation for seeding purposes for the playoffs the Bengals should be rewarded a win and Buffalo a loss with an asterisk in the record book in my bias Bengal fan view. There can't be any real fairness in this situation but Buffalo should not clearly benefit from the postponement.

THe NFL is rigged to a degree so now Buffalo to the superbowl is the best story.

just kidding (sort of)

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2023 09:39 PM by BearcatDave.)
01-05-2023 09:38 PM
The Big O Offline
Special Teams

All you need to know from this wall of text is the Bengals are getting screwed pretty hard.

01-05-2023 10:45 PM
Advertisement

Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
So we might lose 2 home games because of this? It’s the Cincy way

01-05-2023 11:45 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(01-05-2023 11:45 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  So we might lose 2 home games because of this? It’s the Cincy way

Yep

01-06-2023 03:28 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
I'm fine with the Ravens coin flip thing. It treats the Buffalo game like it could have been a win or a loss. But You can't have the Bengals v. Ravens coin flip scenario and not have the bills / Bengals coin flip scenario. It's dealing with the same issue. A game that was canceled that the Bengals were winning. The Bengals are effected as to Buffalo the same way the ravens are as to cincy.

01-06-2023 07:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
This is so frustrating. For the Ravens organization the NFL is treating the Bengals v. Bills game as a 50/50 W/L and offering them remedy. For the Bengals organization v. the Bills/KC it's just being treated as a loss (despite Bengals being around 60% to win when it ended) with no equivalent remedy.

01-06-2023 08:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.