Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I'm having a partial knee replacement...
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
...on Tuesday. From everything I've read and the people I've spoken with who've had them it appears (informally of course) that it has a fairly high probability of success.

Since I know many of you are older farts than me I was wondering if any of you have had this procedure performed.

If so, how did it work??? I'm a little anxious.
07-16-2022 10:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kyle Mack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati Bearcats
RE: I'm having a partial knee replacement...
I have an employee who kinda destroyed his knee working at a Fed Ex or UPS loading facility. He seems to get around pretty well these days. I know he was laid up for a while after the surgery. Guessing your surgery should be much smoother than this guy.
07-16-2022 10:22 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
The only one that I am aware of that was not much of a success was my late mom. She was probably too old to have been put through that - - 73 at the time. But that excuse aside, she was a real baby about doing the rehab exercises. And my dad, kindhearted enabler that he is, let her get away with it.

Bottom line, and much as I am sure it will suck, do your rehab!

Best wishes for a fully successful outcome.
07-16-2022 10:53 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(07-16-2022 10:53 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  The only one that I am aware of that was not much of a success was my late mom. She was probably too old to have been put through that - - 73 at the time. But that excuse aside, she was a real baby about doing the rehab exercises. And my dad, kindhearted enabler that he is, let her get away with it.

No knee replacement but here he acl replacement. Will second thr doing your rehab. It’s boring and repetitive, but it beats limited mobility in the long term.
07-16-2022 01:29 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(07-16-2022 10:16 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  ...on Tuesday. From everything I've read and the people I've spoken with who've had them it appears (informally of course) that it has a fairly high probability of success.

Since I know many of you are older farts than me I was wondering if any of you have had this procedure performed.

My wife has had full replacements on both knees, one at a time. Both were painful processes with significant rehab time. And she still has aching pain whenever a weather front moves in.

However, she says she would do both again in a heartbeat, since the alternative of continuing with bone on bone was intolerable.

She said there is no reason to be anxious.

Also, I have a good friend who had a double full knee replacement all at once. He literally breezed through with no issues, and had an easy rehab.

Just curious, what is the reason to do a partial vs. a full? I would think the process and rehab would be similar, and you still risk a future breakdown with the natural part. Not being judgmental, just curious.
07-16-2022 01:44 PM
MAN4UAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
I have a friend that had both knees replaced. He told me that he had relief after rehab. He gave it a double thumbs up.
07-16-2022 03:48 PM
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
I've had several close family members have it. Rehab is the most important part because you have to "teach" the full mobility to it in those early weeks or it will never return.

So you wanna go all out in rehab so its a fully functioning knee afterwards. If you don't it will have limitations the rest of your life. My step father didn't take his serious enough and it never would bend properly after that.

From what I hear its pretty painful when you first start bending it, so be sure you have some pain meds in you when that process starts.

Once you are healed up most people say it was well worth it.

I'll keep you in my prayers. God bless you bro.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2022 10:49 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
07-16-2022 04:27 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
everybody nailed the rehab portion ... that's a critical component...

I must ask, how much do you trust your Ortho ... since you asked, IMO, that's the question you need to resolve first...

disclaimer: mine is a longtime friend and former golfing bud (b/c I can barely/rarely play these days)... not everyone has that advantage...

good luck, broheim!
07-16-2022 05:48 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
My dad had a knee replacement when I was a kid, and I agree with what everyone says about rehab. Truly hoping great things for you during the process, and that you’ll be back and good to go as ever. Do that rehab, and you’ll be back in no time. My dad is in his 70s now and still surfing. So, it’s a good thing to get through all the pain and work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
07-16-2022 05:50 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(07-16-2022 10:53 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  The only one that I am aware of that was not much of a success was my late mom. She was probably too old to have been put through that - - 73 at the time. But that excuse aside, she was a real baby about doing the rehab exercises. And my dad, kindhearted enabler that he is, let her get away with it.

Absolutely, and thanks!
07-16-2022 09:54 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(07-16-2022 01:44 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(07-16-2022 10:16 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  ...on Tuesday. From everything I've read and the people I've spoken with who've had them it appears (informally of course) that it has a fairly high probability of success.

My wife has had full replacements on both knees, one at a time. Both were painful processes with significant rehab time. And she still has aching pain whenever a weather front moves in.

However, she says she would do both again in a heartbeat, since the alternative of continuing with bone on bone was intolerable.

Also, I have a good friend who had a double full knee replacement all at once. He literally breezed through with no issues, and had an easy rehab.

Just curious, what is the reason to do a partial vs. a full? I would think the process and rehab would be similar, and you still risk a future breakdown with the natural part. Not being judgmental, just curious.

I asked the same question. Doc said that since this is the result of some injury or another and the only damage is on one side, he doesn't think a full replacement is needed. His words were if it aint broke don't fix it.

He did say that once he's inside and can actually see what's going on that if there's any damage on the other side that didn't show up on the MRI that he'll go ahead and do a full knee replacement. Also the recovery time for a partial is 4-6 weeks on average compared to a much longer recovery for full around 6 months I think.
07-16-2022 10:00 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(07-16-2022 04:27 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  I've had several close family members have it. Rehab is the most important part because you have to "teach" the full mobility to it in those early weeks or it will never return.

So you wanna go all out in rehab so its a fully functioning knee afterwards. It you don't it will have limitations the rest of your life. My step father didn't take his serious enough and it never would bend properly after that.

From what I hear its pretty painful when you first start bending it, so be sure you have some pain meds in you when that process starts.

Thanks my friend!

They are sending a unit home with me that works my knee up to 90% of it's full flexibility and that starts the day after surgery with three weekly visits to the PT office.
07-16-2022 10:02 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(07-16-2022 05:48 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  everybody nailed the rehab portion ... that's a critical component...

I must ask, how much do you trust your Ortho ... since you asked, IMO, that's the question you need to resolve first...

disclaimer: mine is a longtime friend and former golfing bud (b/c I can barely/rarely play these days)... not everyone has that advantage...

good luck, broheim!

He comes highly recommended. Never met him before he took over my case. This has been going on for about 4 months and I'm over it. All the compensating for the right knee has caused my other knee to start aching along with my hips.

There are days I can barely walk without it hurting like hell and other days it's almost like nothings wrong until I take a wrong step.

This getting old crap is happening quick! Pre-covid I was still active and very mobile. These days not so much. But hey, there ae a lot of people in much worse condition. One of my best friends just had her leg amputated below the knee so...
07-16-2022 10:07 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(07-16-2022 10:07 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(07-16-2022 05:48 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  everybody nailed the rehab portion ... that's a critical component...

good luck, broheim!

He comes highly recommended. Never met him before he took over my case. This has been going on for about 4 months and I'm over it. All the compensating for the right knee has caused my other knee to start aching along with my hips.

There are days I can barely walk without it hurting like hell and other days it's almost like nothings wrong until I take a wrong step.

This getting old crap is happening quick! Pre-covid I was still active and very mobile. These days not so much. But hey, there ae a lot of people in much worse condition. One of my best friends just had her leg amputated below the knee so...

now, I can tell ya what he told me ... "when you can't take the pain or start draggin' your leg, it's time to carve ... don't do it until then."

#wishingYouTheBest
07-16-2022 11:20 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
(07-16-2022 10:02 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(07-16-2022 04:27 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  I've had several close family members have it. Rehab is the most important part because you have to "teach" the full mobility to it in those early weeks or it will never return.

So you wanna go all out in rehab so its a fully functioning knee afterwards. It you don't it will have limitations the rest of your life. My step father didn't take his serious enough and it never would bend properly after that.

Thanks my friend!

They are sending a unit home with me that works my knee up to 90% of it's full flexibility and that starts the day after surgery with three weekly visits to the PT office.

You'll pull though like a champ and your quality of life will improve dramatically when its all done. 04-cheers
07-16-2022 11:31 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(07-16-2022 10:00 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(07-16-2022 01:44 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

I asked the same question. Doc said that since this is the result of some injury or another and the only damage is on one side, he doesn't think a full replacement is needed. His words were if it aint broke don't fix it.

He did say that once he's inside and can actually see what's going on that if there's any damage on the other side that didn't show up on the MRI that he'll go ahead and do a full knee replacement. Also the recovery time for a partial is 4-6 weeks on average compared to a much longer recovery for full around 6 months I think.

That makes sense. As long as he checks out the other side to make sure, then you're good. Thanks for answering.
07-17-2022 12:12 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

First prayers for a safe, infection free surgery. Then bust your butt in rehab. The more you put in usually the less the recovery time and the fuller the recovery! And check all of your medications be they drip bags, injections, or pills. Some people can't read English too well. Your first couple of days put a relative in charge.

Second, the advice my head nurse friend told me years ago. In the hospital if something doesn't seem or feel right tell all who attend you. Her quote, "The squeaky wheel survives!" They can't check out what you don't point out!

Third, it ain't perfect but it's much better for 95% of patients than not having it. And again, if you don't use it, you will lose it. Meaning using your knees keeps 'em working. Arthritis has a harder time forming spurs when the joints are moving.

Fourth, stay positive, meaning don't read the spin room, newspaper, or watch TV news for a week. Binge on something you enjoy, or something that makes you laugh.

God keep you safe!
07-17-2022 02:11 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
^
Unrelated but happy early congrats on your 30,000th post JR.
07-17-2022 02:22 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Good luck.

One small piece of advice. Be super careful until fully healed. Stay sway from slick surfaces

I wont comment further because I have 3/4th of a knee cap.
07-17-2022 08:01 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(07-16-2022 11:20 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(07-16-2022 10:07 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

good luck, broheim!

now, I can tell ya what he told me ... "when you can't take the pain or start draggin' your leg, it's time to carve ... don't do it until then."

#wishingYouTheBest

And that's where I'm at.
07-17-2022 10:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.