Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Systems: Keatts Vs. Siddle
Bookmark and Share
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
The Systems: Keatts Vs. Siddle
This was mentioned on the WBB thread figured i'd start it here as it's an interesting topic. The Keatts system Vs Siddle System.

While i believe they have the same philosophy " Turn the other team over and create more possessions", The way we turn teams over is mostly completely different.

With Keatts we all know it was that full court pressure that created havoc for most teams that played us. But, as we talked about several times here even during our good years with KK our half court defense was bordering on terrible. So Keatts teams pressed, pressed and pressed some more, got out on the break, and scored more points.

With Siddle, I think the root is the same as far as turning teams over, but the hard nosed, grind it out Defense in the half court is something we haven't witnessed since the Brownell years. And while we do press some, it's mostly of the token variety and not the full on trapping pressure.

Interested to hear others perspectives.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2022 09:10 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
02-02-2022 09:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: The Systems: Keatts Vs. Siddle
(02-02-2022 09:00 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  This was mentioned on the WBB thread figured i'd start it here as it's an interesting topic. The Keatts system Vs Siddle System.

While i believe they have the same philosophy " Turn the other team over and create more possessions", The way we turn teams over is mostly completely different.

With Keatts we all know it was that full court pressure that created havoc for most teams that played us. But, as we talked about several times here even during our good years with KK our half court defense was bordering on terrible. So Keatts teams pressed, pressed and pressed some more, got out on the break, and scored more points.

With Siddle, I think the root is the same as far as turning teams over, but the hard nosed, grind it out Defense in the half court is something we haven't witnessed since the Brownell years. And while we do press some, it's mostly of the token variety and not the full on trapping pressure.

I agree 100% this is the best defense we have played since Brownell

We are not all in on a trap. We create turnovers in the half court set. We have seen multiple shot clock violations against our opponent thanks to our defense
02-02-2022 09:23 AM
triangleseahawk919 Offline
Bench Warmer

Agree completely. I think Coach Siddle said it after the game the other night, but the guards in today's game are just too good. 94 feet of trapping, though there is always a time and place (when the Hawks have flipped the switch in recent games, the tide has turned), gives up way too many open 3pt looks and easy baskets. Really believe in this league especially, if you limit good 3pt looks and make teams run their offense in the final 20 seconds of the shot clock, you win.

Siddle and his staff have done a good job in adjusting the system to their personnel this year....sign of a good staff.

It will be interesting to see if they can get their style/tempo going early over the next two games. As we know in recent history, especially with some great UNCW teams...at Elon and at William & Mary, if the Phoenix/Tribe get going early, it can turn into a miserable night quickly.
02-02-2022 09:39 AM
Bench Warmer

(02-02-2022 09:39 AM)triangleseahawk919 Wrote:  Agree completely. I think Coach Siddle said it after the game the other night, but the guards in today's game are just too good. 94 feet of trapping, though there is always a time and place (when the Hawks have flipped the switch in recent games, the tide has turned), gives up way too many open 3pt looks and easy baskets. Really believe in this league especially, if you limit good 3pt looks and make teams run their offense in the final 20 seconds of the shot clock, you win.

Siddle and his staff have done a good job in adjusting the system to their personnel this year....sign of a good staff.

It will be interesting to see if they can get their style/tempo going early over the next two games. As we know in recent history, especially with some great UNCW teams...at Elon and at William & Mary, if the Phoenix/Tribe get going early, it can turn into a miserable night quickly.

Through their first 37 games at UNCW, Siddle is 22-15...Keatts was 23-14.
02-02-2022 09:41 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-02-2022 09:41 AM)triangleseahawk919 Wrote:  
(02-02-2022 09:39 AM)triangleseahawk919 Wrote:  Agree completely. I think Coach Siddle said it after the game the other night, but the guards in today's game are just too good. 94 feet of trapping, though there is always a time and place (when the Hawks have flipped the switch in recent games, the tide has turned), gives up way too many open 3pt looks and easy baskets. Really believe in this league especially, if you limit good 3pt looks and make teams run their offense in the final 20 seconds of the shot clock, you win.

Crazy! They got there in different ways though, that's for sure.
02-02-2022 09:47 AM
Bench Warmer

(02-02-2022 09:47 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(02-02-2022 09:41 AM)triangleseahawk919 Wrote:  

Crazy! They got there in different ways though, that's for sure.

Going to be interesting to see the level of transfer that Siddle and his staff are going to be able to attract moving forward if they're able to sustain some success the remainder of the year. Based on some of the names being floated that UNCW was in the mix for last year, none of the programs that were picked over the Seahawks are having nearly the success they are. Obviously the transfer portal was a staple of Keatts' success...imagine it will remain a heavy emphasis moving forward.

Also, what differences do you see on the offensive end on the floor? I think Siddle's teams see much more success when they're driving it and don't seem to rely on the 3 nearly as much as Keatts' teams did. Both systems rely on spacing and letting players play though.
02-02-2022 09:54 AM
Advertisement

ScribeHawk Offline
Water Engineer

(02-02-2022 09:00 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  This was mentioned on the WBB thread figured i'd start it here as it's an interesting topic. The Keatts system Vs Siddle System.

After the Drexel game, I believe it was Dan who asked about the amount we've trapped this season. Good explanation from Siddle (video here) where he explains his feeling that generally, guards have become too good to employ as much trapping as we might have seen in the past. Makes sense, because even since the KK years, the game has trended more toward four-guard (and even five) lineups.

Makes sense to roll it out when we REALLY need to change the game, as we have a few times recently, then go back into a straight up man press just to speed up the the opponent a little.

Seems like a similar deal in the halfcourt, where we occasionally break out the scramble trap enough to keep opponents on their toes, but not so often that they can figure it out and regularly get easy buckets.

It's great to see us dig in and defend in the halfcourt, because as much fun as it was to watch our guys flying around and causing havoc during the KK days, it was always concerning when we needed to dig in and get one stop. Or, like in the Duke game, if the opponent figured out how to beat our pressure and consistently got the ball to the dunk spot and we just couldn't adjust.
02-02-2022 10:57 AM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

(02-02-2022 09:54 AM)triangleseahawk919 Wrote:  Going to be interesting to see the level of transfer that Siddle and his staff are going to be able to attract moving forward if they're able to sustain some success the remainder of the year. Based on some of the names being floated that UNCW was in the mix for last year, none of the programs that were picked over the Seahawks are having nearly the success they are.

We'll lose a lot of talent to graduation next year; four of our top six will be gone. Portal will be important and hopefully guys like Thomas, Harvey, McGriff and White will be ready to elevate their game too.
02-02-2022 11:41 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-02-2022 11:41 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(02-02-2022 09:54 AM)triangleseahawk919 Wrote:  Going to be interesting to see the level of transfer that Siddle and his staff are going to be able to attract moving forward if they're able to sustain some success the remainder of the year. Based on some of the names being floated that UNCW was in the mix for last year, none of the programs that were picked over the Seahawks are having nearly the success they are.

We'll lose a lot of talent to graduation next year; four of our top six will be gone. Portal will be important and hopefully guys like Thomas, Harvey, McGriff and White will be ready to elevate their game too.
The kid from Raleigh coming in looks to be a stud. But, we all know that doesn't always translate right away
02-02-2022 12:10 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

(02-02-2022 12:10 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

The kid from Raleigh coming in looks to be a stud. But, we all know that doesn't always translate right away

I'd like to check him out; Trinity games are pretty easy to get to, and it's a cozy environment. I'm curious about Prince Monsengo too. He seems to be one of the higher profile recruits we're pursuing.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2022 12:26 PM by bricksnivy.)
02-02-2022 12:24 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW

Who do we lose?
02-02-2022 12:35 PM
Advertisement

bricksnivy Offline
All American

(02-02-2022 12:35 PM)82hawk Wrote:  Who do we lose?

Baker, Fornes and Okauru as Grad Students. I'm assuming Sims too, but I'm not certain about his Covid season/eligibility. I'd be happy to be wrong about him.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2022 12:59 PM by bricksnivy.)
02-02-2022 12:58 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

The big thing I've noticed lately with our defense is that we do have the ability to turn up the heat with our full court pressure when needed, and it does cause some key turnovers. That was very encouraging to see, because I was a bit concerned that the full court press wasn't really going to be a true part of our scheme. That is clearly not the case. We were even able to turn over Hofstra a bunch with the pressure, even though they're not a team that turns the ball over often.

We seem to have the "best of all worlds" with the Siddle defense and personnel we have. Tough halfcourt D with the ability to pressure over 94 feet and create turnovers when we want/need to. I love it.
02-02-2022 01:00 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

(02-02-2022 12:58 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  

Baker, Fornes and Okauru as Grad Students. I'm assuming Sims too, but I'm not certain about his Covid season/eligibility. I'd be happy to be wrong about him.

Sims has 1 more year here if he wants to use it, and doesn't want to go the grad transfer route.
02-02-2022 01:01 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

(02-02-2022 01:01 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

Sims has 1 more year here if he wants to use it, and doesn't want to go the grad transfer route.

That is great news and a relief. Assume he is the front runner for POY midway through.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2022 01:04 PM by bricksnivy.)
02-02-2022 01:04 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-02-2022 12:24 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(02-02-2022 12:10 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

I'd like to check him out; Trinity games are pretty easy to get to, and it's a cozy environment. I'm curious about Prince Monsengo too. He seems to be one of the higher profile recruits we're pursuing.
I'd be interested to check him out as well.
02-02-2022 02:12 PM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(02-02-2022 01:01 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

Based on the crazy interruptions and the success Sims is having, i'd be surprised if he moved on if he had a chance to stay.
02-02-2022 02:14 PM
Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

It’s been awhile since our KenPom Defensive efficiency is higher than our Offensive efficiency!
02-02-2022 03:00 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Sims is awesome. Hope he sticks around another year!!
02-03-2022 07:41 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Was watching the State - Cuse game last night and it was pointed out that State is last in the ACC in defending the three, as 08 pointed out on another thread, we have been pretty good at that under Siddle. So, that's another differentiation between the two.
02-03-2022 08:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.