Big 12 AD - expansion may not stop at 4
09-07-2021 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pir8inRichmond Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU
RE: Big 12 AD - expansion may not stop at 4
Anyone think the P12 told Bowlsby that they are taking teams but will give B12 a chance to beef up their membership first?
09-07-2021 12:24 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
It's okay Memphis fans, this is a safe space.

[Image: Stages-of-Grief.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2021 12:30 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
09-07-2021 12:26 PM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
Big 12 AD - expansion may not stop at 4
It's pretty clear that their strategy is to guarantee status as the "best of the rest".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
09-07-2021 12:27 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Thamel tweets that the Big 12 could consider another round of expansion prior to the expiration of the 2025 contract. Here -

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteThamel/st...4094871559
09-07-2021 12:31 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(09-07-2021 12:24 PM)Pir8inRichmond Wrote:  Anyone think the P12 told Bowlsby that they are taking teams but will give B12 a chance to beef up their membership first?

Nope.

I keep saying this elsewhere, but for the Pac-12 to expand, you have to convince Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA and USC to do it. No one in the Big 12 outside of *maybe* Kansas is an institutional fit for the Pac-12 that would get those schools' votes. This is so much different than the old Big East that had a lot of members that legitimately were institutional fits with the ACC (plus the Big Ten with Rutgers) and served broader demographic and market interests along the populous East Coast.

As a result, the Big 12 as it stands now is stable. Now, could they eventually go to 14 schools? Maybe, although I find that to be unlikely with the way the TV numbers are being projected.
09-07-2021 12:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Yup, Memphis just needs to keep investing in football and basketball and they will get a power conference invite eventually. TV networks will continue to broker conference realignment so if the networks want Memphis, they'll get Memphis. Might be in the near future if the BIG12 TV contract negotiation demands more markets. Memphis paired with either SMU or Boise State would be solid additions.
09-07-2021 12:35 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(09-07-2021 12:32 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(09-07-2021 12:24 PM)Pir8inRichmond Wrote:  Anyone think the P12 told Bowlsby that they are taking teams but will give B12 a chance to beef up their membership first?

Nope.

I keep saying this elsewhere, but for the Pac-12 to expand, you have to convince Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA and USC to do it. No one in the Big 12 outside of *maybe* Kansas is an institutional fit for the Pac-12 that would get those schools' votes. This is so much different than the old Big East that had a lot of members that legitimately were institutional fits with the ACC (plus the Big Ten with Rutgers) and served broader demographic and market interests along the populous East Coast.

As a result, the Big 12 as it stands now is stable. Now, could they eventually go to 14 schools? Maybe, although I find that to be unlikely with the way the TV numbers are being projected.

^^^^^^^^^^^
This.
09-07-2021 12:38 PM
Pir8inRichmond Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU

Nope.

Hopefully it’s stable and realignment settles for quite awhile (after this cascades downstream).
09-07-2021 12:53 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
Memphis and Boise for BYU travel is perfect.
09-07-2021 01:00 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

Nope.

Agreed, the PAC-12 is more likely to be raided than raid themselves. I still think in the distant future I could see the B1G extending invites to USC, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford. I think eventually we will see an NFL-type arrangement and contract with the SEC/B1G acting as the AFC/NFC.
09-07-2021 01:02 PM
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(09-07-2021 12:31 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Thamel tweets that the Big 12 could consider another round of expansion prior to the expiration of the 2025 contract. Here -

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteThamel/st...4094871559

Considering the sources, Thamel and Iowa State's AD, I do think more expansion is at least being talked about. I think that's good news for both Memphis and Boise State. All hope is not lost:-)
09-07-2021 01:09 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans

Nope.

Disagree with this ^^^

They were always rumblings UT & OU eventually bolting elsewhere and now that those rumblings have come to fruition the big12 has become far more unstable with those two soon gone.

I think this current movement is to create an improved AAC 2.0 with out the pressure in having to announce publicly that the bottom programs will be eliminated.

I still believe Kansas is next to jump.
09-07-2021 02:10 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

No
09-07-2021 02:33 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Nope.

Exactly what Frank said
09-07-2021 02:34 PM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(09-07-2021 02:34 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  

Nope.

Exactly what Frank said

Any further moves by the P4 will affect the B12. The L8 will be looking to get out anyway they can. Now the L8 have nowhere to go now, but that could change if in a few years the BigTen,PAC or ACC decide to make a move.
09-07-2021 02:36 PM
Advertisement

mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
There’s a lot of credible sources out there that say this is only phase one, and I believe them.

I also don’t believe that anything can be done to move a team into the list that is being considered.
There probably 2-4 slots that will be available out of 4-5 schools being considered. No school is gonna jump into that list based on what they do in the next couple years.

The few on that list though will need to do all they can to cement an offer. If none really step up, I can see the Big 12 adding nobody. If a few really make a move, we could see up to 4. I would bet 2 if I had to.
09-07-2021 02:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I wanted 14 teams with Memphis and Boise included, and Boise/BYU football only. I do think the Big 12 will eventually go to 14. 16 seems like a stretch, but if the Big 12 loses anybody (can't imagine more than one or two current members getting the call up), maybe there is room for more than two. To me, the most attractive candidates are:

1. Memphis
2. Boise State (mediocre market and academics hurt)
3. SMU (they get hurt due to overlapping markets with TCU)
4. USF (they would be #1 or #2 with an OCS or a stronger football program)
5. San Diego State (geography really hurts them)
6. Colorado State (a distance 6th due to poor fan support)

Any further Big 12 expansion will come from the 6 schools above IMO. If Temple had an OCS, they would be in the mix. Same with ECU if their football program had been performing to its potential. Tulane has the academics and location to crack the top ten. Tulsa just has too small of enrollment and alumni base, even though they punch well above their weight class in athletics and academics.
09-07-2021 02:40 PM
hk25 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
The dominoes have not all fallen yet, I don’t think NB12 is near as stable as some like to believe, but clearly now a notch above AAC.

I still think the end result is similar to BigEast , teams jump from NB12 & they backfill with best of the rest & so on down the conference hierarchy.

Eventually NB12 is no longer viewed or treated like other Power conferences.

But that’s still probably better than deciding which SBC/CUSA teams to add.
09-07-2021 02:41 PM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(09-07-2021 02:41 PM)hk25 Wrote:  The dominoes have not all fallen yet, I don’t think NB12 is near as stable as some like to believe, but clearly now a notch above AAC.

I still think the end result is similar to BigEast , teams jump from NB12 & they backfill with best of the rest & so on down the conference hierarchy.

Eventually NB12 is no longer viewed or treated like other Power conferences.

But that’s still probably better than deciding which SBC/CUSA teams to add.

Exactly
09-07-2021 02:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.