Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis Tigers, is Hardeway Arrogant or Foolish
willhclark Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
https://theathletic.com/1258524/2019/10/...mpionship/

Penny Hardaway has a message for the rest of college basketball: ‘We’re going to win a national championship’

Dana O'Neil 3h ago 21
MEMPHIS — The University of Memphis won 22 games last year, lost in the second round of the NIT, and here sits Penny Hardaway inside the glass-walled conference room outside of his office, talking unabashedly about winning a national championship. Not eventually, mind you. No, he’s talking about this season, about lifting the trophy over his head inside Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta on April 6, 2020. It’s not a premonition, he explains. It’s more a sixth sense. The same gift that in 1995 made him certain Orlando would reach the NBA finals when the Magic acquired Horace Grant, has him convinced his untested, unproven and woefully young Tigers will win it all. “What do I know?” he says. “I know when I have something special. When I see this group in action, see their abilities, I know what’s at stake and I know what’s out there. The teams like Michigan State, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, all the usual suspects. I’ve studied the film. I know who they are, but when I look at this group, I just say to myself, ‘We’re going to win a national championship.’ That’s what I know.’’
10-02-2019 09:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
RE: Memphis Tigers, is Hardeway Arrogant or Foolish
(10-02-2019 09:55 AM)willhclark Wrote:  https://theathletic.com/1258524/2019/10/...mpionship/

Penny Hardaway has a message for the rest of college basketball: ‘We’re going to win a national championship’

Dana O'Neil 3h ago 21
MEMPHIS — The University of Memphis won 22 games last year, lost in the second round of the NIT, and here sits Penny Hardaway inside the glass-walled conference room outside of his office, talking unabashedly about winning a national championship. Not eventually, mind you. No, he’s talking about this season, about lifting the trophy over his head inside Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta on April 6, 2020. It’s not a premonition, he explains. It’s more a sixth sense. The same gift that in 1995 made him certain Orlando would reach the NBA finals when the Magic acquired Horace Grant, has him convinced his untested, unproven and woefully young Tigers will win it all. “What do I know?” he says. “I know when I have something special. When I see this group in action, see their abilities, I know what’s at stake and I know what’s out there. The teams like Michigan State, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, all the usual suspects. I’ve studied the film. I know who they are, but when I look at this group, I just say to myself, ‘We’re going to win a national championship.’ That’s what I know.’’

Arrogant: Na
Foolish: Maybe a bit, but I see it as confidence.

Better than Micky boys "The Tourney is just for fans"
10-02-2019 09:59 AM
First Family Forever Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
Hardaway has great belief in himself. The man rose out of poverty to be a 4 time NBA All Star and a gold medalist. He has a net worth of over $ 50 million. He sets his goals high .If you are not trying to be the best , why bother .
10-02-2019 10:08 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
There's nothing wrong with being confident and trying to build up your team.
10-02-2019 10:08 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(10-02-2019 10:08 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  There's nothing wrong with being confident and trying to build up your team.

it could always backfire..remember the taggart bus
10-02-2019 10:13 AM
JRR_IV Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Neither.
10-02-2019 10:24 AM
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Genius
10-02-2019 10:25 AM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I get setting high goals for the program, the only problem is the boosters/fan base getting out over their skis if they don't come close to delivering. I don't think this goes bad, but you never know.

At least Memphis has a chance in basketball for a national title. Unlike football where most of the teams need every scenario to play out perfectly to get a shot.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2019 10:32 AM by bearcat29.)
10-02-2019 10:31 AM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
(10-02-2019 10:08 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  There's nothing wrong with being confident and trying to build up your team.

Fully agree. The opening of the paragraph notes the Tigers accomplishments last year derisively yet fail to mention it was Penny’s first year not only at Memphis but college basketball. All he did was make a mediocre team into a contender. I’m not predicting a Memphis NC but have no problem with him setting goals based on talent and coaching.
10-02-2019 10:36 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(10-02-2019 09:55 AM)willhclark Wrote:  https://theathletic.com/1258524/2019/10/...mpionship/

Dana O'Neil 3h ago 21
You present a false choice. Penny is merely confident in his team. Like Penny, all coaches with legitimate NC opportunities should aspire to the NC.
10-02-2019 10:43 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Penny's optimism is not unfounded.

Vegas odds for winning the 2020 NC (Source)

1. Mich St (+650)
2. Kentucky Wildcats (+750)
3. Duke Blue Devils (+850),
4. Memphis Tigers (+1000),
5. Kansas Jayhawks (+1000),
6. Virginia Cavaliers (+1100),
7. North Carolina Tar Heels (+1400),
8. Louisville Cardinals (+1600)
9. Florida Gators (+1600)
10. Villanova Wildcats (+2000)

Cincy (+5000)
Houston (+6600)
WSU (+30000)

However, I think Vegas is wrong . For example, a #1 AAC finish should result in better odds of WSU winning the NC, IMO.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2019 11:03 AM by Tiger1983.)
10-02-2019 10:51 AM
Advertisement

cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

Who’s Hardeway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-02-2019 10:53 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
It's OK for him to think it. It's OK for him to say it privately to his team.

… Buy when you start parading out in front of the media saying it, you got a big mouth.
10-02-2019 12:10 PM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
Just like everyone else from Memphis, he's running his mouth before he's accomplished anything. Its loud-mouthed arrogance. But we've come to expect that from the river folk in Eastern Arkansas.** And I've lived in Memphis, so that's a voice of experience, not just some sports board trolling...
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2019 12:18 PM by Knightsweat.)
10-02-2019 12:16 PM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(10-02-2019 12:10 PM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  It's OK for him to think it. It's OK for him to say it privately to his team.

… Buy when you start parading out in front of the media saying it, you got a big mouth.

OK. So he's got a big mouth. People have complained he's too laid back. I prefer big mouth. Sing Penny sing.
10-02-2019 12:21 PM
SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..
Meh.

Random message boards are now talking about him and I guarantee you future recruits are, too.

So he may be crazy, but he's crazy like a Fox.
10-02-2019 12:25 PM
Advertisement

Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
I prefer quiet confidence. I'd rather my opponents not know we're about to run them out of the gym. When you talk out loud it puts a target on you.

But I don't mind calling your shots if you deliver
10-02-2019 12:34 PM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(10-02-2019 12:21 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  
(10-02-2019 12:10 PM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  It's OK for him to think it. It's OK for him to say it privately to his team.

OK. So he's got a big mouth. People have complained he's too laid back. I prefer big mouth. Sing Penny sing.

Well OK...

But it's only going to be that more painful if things don't work out next March.
10-02-2019 12:56 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

(10-02-2019 12:25 PM)SMUleopold Wrote:  Meh.

Random message boards are now talking about him and I guarantee you future recruits are, too.

So he may be crazy, but he's crazy like a Fox.

Yep. You think the top level recruits want to play for a coach that prefers a slow rebuild? Negative. They expect to come in, win now and win at the highest level.

If he is successful this year (doesn’t have to win it all), this could have a snowball effect with future prospects.
10-02-2019 01:06 PM
EvilLore Offline
Caligula of the Toy Department

I Root For: Tiger blood
(10-02-2019 12:16 PM)Knightsweat Wrote:  Just like everyone else from Memphis, he's running his mouth before he's accomplished anything. Its loud-mouthed arrogance. But we've come to expect that from the river folk in Eastern Arkansas.** And I've lived in Memphis, so that's a voice of experience, not just some sports board trolling...

Dude. As a UCF fan, are you seriously lecturing another fanbase on loud-mouthed arrogance? 03-lmfao

Penny has always tried to hype up his team before the season, starting back with his middle school kids.
10-02-2019 01:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.