Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VA Tech cancels games at ECU
va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
VA Tech cancels games at ECU
Can't say I didn't see this coming. My son goes to VT, only reason I noticed this.

I don't know how the timeline went, but did ECU let their AD go after the game with NC ST was setup, then delay hiring a AD until that game was played? If so, they may have been trying to salvage the VT relationship.

https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/virginia-...4a7ef.html
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2018 10:36 AM by va-eagle.)
12-22-2018 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: VA Tech cancels ECU series
Wow. Salty VagTech AD.
12-22-2018 10:35 AM
B easy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
RE: VA Tech cancels games at ECU
So VT ultimately decided to cancel a series that goes back to 1956 with a school that donated $100k (more than the entire ACC) after after a tragic on campus shooting in honor of the students killed because ECU had a hurricane coming straight at them?

Wow. That was rational.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2018 10:47 AM by B easy.)
12-22-2018 10:47 AM
Ned Low Offline
All American

(12-22-2018 10:32 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  Can't say I didn't see this coming. My son goes to VT, only reason I noticed this.

I don't know how the timeline went, but did ECU let their AD go after the game with NC ST was setup, then delay hiring a AD until that game was played? If so, they may have been trying to salvage the VT relationship.

https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/virginia-...4a7ef.html

Our old AD was let go long before this game was canceled.

Long story short: the VPI AD is acting out, embarassing the institution he works for and showing himself to the ass that he is. ECU made the right call to cancel the game. The city itself dodged a bullet but the region around it got obliterated. If they wanted to cancel the series, so be it. However, doing it like this is classless.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2018 11:03 AM by Ned Low.)
12-22-2018 11:01 AM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
I wish the AAC could cancel ECU.
12-22-2018 11:07 AM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

As a lawyer I would assert that ECU did not breach the contract because of the 'act of god' exception under contract law and that now VT is the party making an initial breach. VT actually collected on it's insurance policy so they didn't suffer any substantial loss in the eyes of the law.

According to Black’s Law Dictionary, an “act of God” is:

"An overwhelming, unpreventable event caused exclusively by forces of nature, such as an earthquake, flood, or tornado."

Also termed "act of nature," the definition has been statutorily broadened to include all natural phenomena that are exceptional, inevitable, and irresistible, the effects of which could not be prevented or avoided by the exercise of due care or foresight.

In legal usage throughout the English-speaking world, an act of God is a natural hazard outside human control, such as an earthquake or tsunami, for which no person can be held responsible. An act of God may amount to an exception to liability.

In the law of contracts, an act of God may be interpreted as an implied defense under the rule of impossibility or impracticability. If so, the promise is discharged because of unforeseen occurrences, which were unavoidable and would likely result in insurmountable delay, expense, or other material breach.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=8566070]
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2018 11:33 AM by Indiana Bones.)
12-22-2018 11:23 AM
Advertisement

B easy Offline
1st String

This is not only bad optics for VT now but moving forward this is gonna have the light exposed on it brighter and brighter. Particularly, next year when these 2 teams are playing crappy opponents. ECU could be much improved by then and if that proves to be true people will really wish this game had been played. Then you throw in a hurricane where people were devastated as the reason. Just doesn't look good. This is definitely ending up in mediation if not court.
12-22-2018 11:51 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Even if a court found that ECU was in breach---the remedy would not be allowing VTech to opt out of multiple Greenville games of the series leaving just the games where ECU travels to the Hokies. The typical court remedy would likely be an extra home game for the Hokies being added to the series--or cash--or perhaps both. I cant imagine there is any clause in that deal that allow VTech to "opt out" of the road games but keep the home ECU games on the schedule. The VTech reaction seems so punitive and vindictive that it almost appears they are spoiling for a court battle.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2018 12:13 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-22-2018 12:08 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Wow VT are a bunch of loser pansies
12-22-2018 12:09 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(12-22-2018 12:08 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Even if a court found that ECU was in breach---the remedy would not be allowing VTech to opt out of multiple Greenville games of the series leaving just the games where ECU travels to the Hokies. The typical court remedy would likely be an extra home game for the Hokies being added to the series--or cash--or perhaps both. I cant imagine there is any clause in that deal that allow VTech to "opt out" of the road games but keep the home ECU games on the schedule. The VTech reaction seems so punitive and vindictive that it almost appears they are spoiling for a court battle.

Since each game is a contract...yes, VT can legally "buy out" just the road games...but now that has happened...ECU will then "buy out" their road games at VT...(and most likely, teams will "settle" and no money is exchanged but all games get cancelled).
12-22-2018 12:41 PM
B easy Offline
1st String

(12-22-2018 12:41 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(12-22-2018 12:08 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Even if a court found that ECU was in breach---the remedy would not be allowing VTech to opt out of multiple Greenville games of the series leaving just the games where ECU travels to the Hokies. The typical court remedy would likely be an extra home game for the Hokies being added to the series--or cash--or perhaps both. I cant imagine there is any clause in that deal that allow VTech to "opt out" of the road games but keep the home ECU games on the schedule. The VTech reaction seems so punitive and vindictive that it almost appears they are spoiling for a court battle.

Since each game is a contract...yes, VT can legally "buy out" just the road games...but now that has happened...ECU will then "buy out" their road games at VT...(and most likely, teams will "settle" and no money is exchanged but all games get cancelled).

That is where you are definitely wrong. ECU is in the right here and has recourse at its disposal. VT AD is an idiot. Time will show that. Also, the contract signed does not treat each game as a separate contract.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2018 12:52 PM by B easy.)
12-22-2018 12:45 PM
Advertisement

ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina

Nope, the remedy was already stated in the contract, $500,000.00 buyout for the lose of a single game. VT was offered the same deal we made with NC State, but they wanted to wait (guessing to see if they needed to get bowl eligible) or to tack it on to the end of the series.

Also, VT demanded we move our 2019 home game against them to Charlotte. In what world would we give up a quality home game in our newly expanded stadium????? I mean seriously? Talk about acting in bad faith?
12-22-2018 12:55 PM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
Babcock was the AD at Cincy that brought us Tuberville and then split for VaTech.
12-22-2018 01:04 PM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

ECU AD Jon Gilbert responds. Doesn't sound like a man willing to concede defeat to me.

https://eastcarolina.sportswar.com/post_...4648_0.jpg
12-22-2018 01:07 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(12-22-2018 01:07 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  ECU AD Jon Gilbert responds. Doesn't sound like a man willing to concede defeat to me.

He has 2 options:
1: opt out of the Blacksburg games and likely kill the ECU VT relationship or
2: play the games in Blacksburg in hopes of rebuilding the relationship.

VT really doesn’t need any more exposure in NC. VT is also one of the better P5 schools to play at a G5.
12-22-2018 01:25 PM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

(12-22-2018 01:25 PM)va-eagle Wrote:  
(12-22-2018 01:07 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  ECU AD Jon Gilbert responds. Doesn't sound like a man willing to concede defeat to me.

He has 2 options:

VT really doesn’t need any more exposure in NC. VT is also one of the better P5 schools to play at a G5.

The law actually provides a multitude of potential remedies here and playing the games at Blacksburg under these circumstances is far from an equitable one.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2018 01:34 PM by Indiana Bones.)
12-22-2018 01:33 PM
Advertisement

beefcake0520 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: marshall
(12-22-2018 10:47 AM)B easy Wrote:  So VT ultimately decided to cancel a series that goes back to 1956 with a school that donated $100k (more than the entire ACC) after after a tragic on campus shooting in honor of the students killed because ECU had a hurricane coming straight at them?

Wow. That was rational.

I don't pretend to know particulars. BUT you both needed to reschedule for a 12th game, ECU elected to play NCST instead, so in all reality I do not blame VT for being a little salty. They ended up playing a tougher Marshall instead for a bowl shot, again not the best situation for them. In return they, with no leverage, agreed to a 1-1 series with first game played in Huntington, so being salty from their point of view is warranted.
12-22-2018 01:37 PM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

(12-22-2018 01:37 PM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  
(12-22-2018 10:47 AM)B easy Wrote:  So VT ultimately decided to cancel a series that goes back to 1956 with a school that donated $100k (more than the entire ACC) after after a tragic on campus shooting in honor of the students killed because ECU had a hurricane coming straight at them?

Wow. That was rational.

I don't pretend to know particulars. BUT you both needed to reschedule for a 12th game, ECU elected to play NCST instead, so in all reality I do not blame VT for being a little salty. They ended up playing a tougher Marshall instead for a bowl shot, again not the best situation for them. In return they, with no leverage, agreed to a 1-1 series with first game played in Huntington, so being salty from their point of view is warranted.

VT wanted to wait and see if they beat UVA to figure out if they needed a 12th game for bowl eligibility. NCST of course also had their game cancelled with WVU and needed a make up game. It was a chance to make a little money for hurricane relief. VT is salty because our AD did not wait around like a good little G5 for the pat on our head and be ready to jump through hoops to make sure they won their 6th game for a bowl.

My vote was no game as the season was long since over and we needed to fire Mo and move on with a new coaching staff and not worry about a game on December 4th . I would agree the optics of the NCST game was not great and probably pissed off VT.

Bottom line is VT fans were never happy that their previous AD signed a home and away with ECU for a decade. On this I agree with VT fans. I was not excited seeing ECU and VT playing every year for 10 years straight. I would rather have a 1-1 or maybe 2-2 deal. We have had VT on the schedule for so long it is no longer that big of deal. It is a nice OOC game but I am more than read to move along and get some new blood on the schedule. I would rather play Marshall or Southern Miss for a while as we also have history but again I don't want Marshall and ECU to sign a 8 year deal or Southern Miss.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2018 02:23 PM by ShoreBuc.)
12-22-2018 01:50 PM
PuddlePirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: inorganic groceries
(12-22-2018 01:33 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  
(12-22-2018 01:25 PM)va-eagle Wrote:  

He has 2 options:

The law actually provides a multitude of potential remedies here and playing the games at Blacksburg under these circumstances is far from an equitable one.

It may be far from equitable but preserving an important relationship between the institutions is a far bigger deal than this AD acting out like a spoiled brat. He will not be there forever so there needs to be some good will somewhere in this mess so ECU needs to let this dude pound his fists and cry and let it ride, in my humble opinion. The schools and the series are bigger than this guy and will outlast him, whether he understands that or not.
12-22-2018 02:07 PM
mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
(12-22-2018 01:50 PM)ShoreBuc Wrote:  
(12-22-2018 01:37 PM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  

Wow. That was rational.

VT wanted to wait and see if they beat UVA to figure out if they needed a 12th game for bowl eligibility. NCST of course also had their game cancelled with WVU and needed a make up game. It was a chance to make a little money for hurricane relief. VT is salty because our AD did not wait around like a good little G5 for the pat on our head and be ready to jump through hoops to make sure they won their 6th game for a bowl.

My vote was no game as the season was long since over and we needed to fire Mo and move on with a new coaching staff and not worry about a game on December 4th . I would agree the optics of the NCST game was not great and probably pissed off VT.

Bottom line is VT fans were never happy that their previous AD signed a home and away with ECU for a decade. On this I agree with VT fans. I was not excited seeing ECU and VT playing every year for 10 years straight. I would rather have a 1-1 or maybe 2-2 deal. We have had VT on the schedule for so long it is no matter that big of deal. It is a nice OOC game but I am more than read to move along and get some new blood on the schedule. I would rather play Marshall or Southern Miss for a while as we also have history but again I don't want Marshall and ECU to sign a 8 year deal or Southern Miss.

I agree that the home and home series was oddly long, although I've enjoyed most of the games. Babcock cancelling the 3 Greenville games and stating, “If East Carolina still wants to come up here and play we will happily host them", is totally low class and embarrassing for an institution with which we have had such a long relationship.

Obviously it would make no sense for ECU to travel to Blacksburg under these circumstances. It's just time to move on.
12-22-2018 02:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.