Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaches Status
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
Exclamation Coaches Status
Rumors around Temples Geoff Collins about possible P5 poaching. He’s a second year HC with a 14-10 record and a bowl win. Both years he’s had slow or terrible starts and turned things for the better as the season progresses. (IMO correcting his own mistakes)

If I’m a P5 AD, not sure he’s ready, but could see him gone this year.

Cincinnati- will Luke Fickell get interest due to the great turn around this year?

ECU-will Montgomery be fired?

UCF- does Heupel get consideration?

Think Strong at USF and Edsall at UConn are staying put.

Navy, SMU and Tulane seem set. Is Applewhite at Houston or Montgomery at Tulsa on the red hot seat?
11-19-2018 09:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
RE: Coaches Status
Heupel has zero noise surrounding leaving. He was only here one year. Doubtful anybody would hire him after just one year. Secondly, Danny White learned from the Scott Frost fiasco and there is a heavy buyout if he leaves extremely early.
11-19-2018 09:53 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(11-19-2018 09:53 AM)otown Wrote:  Heupel has zero noise surrounding leaving. He was only here one year. Doubtful anybody would hire him after just one year. Secondly, Danny White learned from the Scott Frost fiasco and there is a heavy buyout if he leaves extremely early.

Anything is possible but Heupel would cost a $10 million dollar buyout and his salary is over $2 million.
11-19-2018 09:58 AM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
if a P5 job opened where they were already good (say the coach went to the NFL) then heup has proven so far that he can keep everything running smooth. but most P5 jobs that open are dumpster fires and what has he proven to anyone in that situation this year? then you add in his buyout.
11-19-2018 10:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
#FireEdsall

#FireUCONNFootball
11-19-2018 10:13 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
I’d like to think Scotty Mo is done unless hell freezes over and we win out, but with no AD and god knows what’s going on with the Chancellor I’m scared to death we could go 3-9 again and keep him due to zero leadership.
11-19-2018 10:38 AM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(11-19-2018 10:38 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I’d like to think Scotty Mo is done unless hell freezes over and we win out, but with no AD and god knows what’s going on with the Chancellor I’m scared to death we could go 3-9 again and keep him due to zero leadership.

Does he have another year on his contract?
11-19-2018 10:47 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Fickell is less likely to move than most up-and-coming coaches. He has 6 kids, has lived/coached in Ohio his entire life, and is very family oriented. He has said he and his wife have a 10-year plan and don't want to uproot the family every couple years to chase jobs. He's only leaving Cincinnati for his forever job, whatever that may be. Obviously if Urban retires and OSU comes calling, he is gone. Notre Dame would be another, but I don't think Brian Kelly is going anywhere with Notre Dame rolling right now.
11-19-2018 10:50 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

In other words, Fickell's probably not leaving to coach Purdue or Louisville. I feel confident that we have the budget to pay him $3 million plus if that ends up being necessary within the next year or two.
11-19-2018 10:52 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-19-2018 10:50 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  Fickell is less likely to move than most up-and-coming coaches. He has 6 kids, has lived/coached in Ohio his entire life, and is very family oriented. He has said he and his wife have a 10-year plan and don't want to uproot the family every couple years to chase jobs. He's only leaving Cincinnati for his forever job, whatever that may be. Obviously if Urban retires and OSU comes calling, he is gone. Notre Dame would be another, but I don't think Brian Kelly is going anywhere with Notre Dame rolling right now.

The jobs I worry about are (in no particular oder): OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan State or Penn State.

I think Urban may be close to the end of the rope in Columbus. He is not healthy IMHO, so I could see him "retiring". Also think Dantonio will retire in the next couple years so that job concerns me. He is a very close to Coach D.
11-19-2018 10:53 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(11-19-2018 10:53 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(11-19-2018 10:50 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  Fickell is less likely to move than most up-and-coming coaches. He has 6 kids, has lived/coached in Ohio his entire life, and is very family oriented. He has said he and his wife have a 10-year plan and don't want to uproot the family every couple years to chase jobs. He's only leaving Cincinnati for his forever job, whatever that may be. Obviously if Urban retires and OSU comes calling, he is gone. Notre Dame would be another, but I don't think Brian Kelly is going anywhere with Notre Dame rolling right now.

The jobs I worry about are (in no particular oder): OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan State or Penn State.

I think Urban may be close to the end of the rope in Columbus. He is not healthy IMHO, so I could see him "retiring". Also think Dantonio will retire in the next couple years so that job concerns me. He is a very close to Coach D.

Agreed. I think those are the jobs to worry about. I do think if Urban retires after this year, we are safe. But if Fickell pulls off 2-3 consecutive 10-win seasons and the OSU job opens up, he will get a look.
11-19-2018 10:54 AM
Advertisement

TheOrigamiJimmyChin Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: My wife
Applewhite is safe but seems to be almost a forgone conclusion that DC Mark Onofrio will be fired.

Applewhite will get benefit of the doubt with all the Cougar injuries, but Onofrio won't.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2018 11:20 AM by TheOrigamiJimmyChin.)
11-19-2018 11:19 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(11-19-2018 10:52 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  In other words, Fickell's probably not leaving to coach Purdue or Louisville. I feel confident that we have the budget to pay him $3 million plus if that ends up being necessary within the next year or two.

We thought the same thing about Rhule, and he even bought a $2M house right before leaving. We were prepared to pay him $3M a year too. His last reported earnings were $2.445M.
11-19-2018 11:23 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I'm in the same boat as most UC fans in that there really are only a handful of jobs that I feel Fickell would move for given his family situation and geographic coaching proclivity. I think the one we should worry about is Michigan State, as that seems to be a culture fit, is a Top 15-20 job in College Football, still works his normal recruiting patterns in the Midwest, and is geographically close. It could be next year, it could be in 5, but that's the one that worries me. I don't think Franklin is leaving Penn State any time soon, and I don't think OSU would go after Fickell if Urban leaves this year...he would be the next coach after this one, which could be in 3 or 10 years depending.
11-19-2018 11:26 AM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
I don't see Heupel leaving this early in his tenure at UCF. Plus, I think that most programs that he would consider leaving for want to see a larger body of work to base their decision on.

Some of the Houston fans seem to hate Applewhite but I don't see how you can fire a guy for winning at least 9 games in a season, especially if he beats Memphis and makes it to the AAC championship game.

Both Montgomerys are gone if I were to guess.

I was at the game this weekend and spoke with some lettermen and boosters. They mentioned several things to me to suggest that a coach has already been reached out to and that, although there are some hold-ups, we expect to make an AD annoucement soon.

If I were to speculate, I think that our new AD will be Job Gilbert (currently at Southern Miss; already mentioned by the media) and that our new coach will either be Butch Jones or Mike Houston.

I'll probably be wrong about everything, of course.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2018 11:30 AM by Ned Low.)
11-19-2018 11:28 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(11-19-2018 11:23 AM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(11-19-2018 10:52 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  In other words, Fickell's probably not leaving to coach Purdue or Louisville. I feel confident that we have the budget to pay him $3 million plus if that ends up being necessary within the next year or two.

We thought the same thing about Rhule, and he even bought a $2M house right before leaving. We were prepared to pay him $3M a year too. His last reported earnings were $2.445M.

As a fan base with much more experience losing quality coaches than Temple...I think we understand that all of this is subjective and really not something we're every going to know about until it comes out on ESPN, but the Fickell background is very different than that of Dantonio, Kelly, and Jones.
11-19-2018 11:29 AM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline

(11-19-2018 11:28 AM)Ned Low Wrote:  I don't see Heupel leaving this early in his tenure at UCF. Plus, I think that most programs that he would consider leaving for want to see a larger body of work to base their decision on.

Some of the Houston fans seem to hate Applewhite but I don't see how you can fire a guy for winning at least 9 games in a season, especially if he beats Memphis and makes it to the AAC championship game.

Both Montgomerys are gone if I were to guess.

I was at the game this weekend and spoke with some lettermen and boosters. They mentioned several things to me to suggest that a coach has already been reached out to and that, although there are some hold-ups, we expect to make an AD annoucement soon.

If I were to speculate, I think that our new AD will be Job Gilbert (currently at Southern Miss; already mentioned by the media) and that our new coach will either be Butch Jones or Mike Houston.

I'll probably be wrong about everything, of course.

Enjoy the ridiculous amount of sports related motivational metaphors that you wish you never had, while having pretty poor in game coaching. I have "Hold the Rope" stuck on my old helmet for some unknown reason...most of us just laughed our asses off behind closed doors.
11-19-2018 11:32 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(11-19-2018 11:29 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

As a fan base with much more experience losing quality coaches than Temple...I think we understand that all of this is subjective and really not something we're every going to know about until it comes out on ESPN, but the Fickell background is very different than that of Dantonio, Kelly, and Jones.

Golden- Miami
Addazio- BC
Rhule- Baylor

But okay?
11-19-2018 11:49 AM
Lethemeul Offline
Fancy Pants

I Root For: Pirates!

NCAAbbs LUGDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs
(11-19-2018 10:47 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(11-19-2018 10:38 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I’d like to think Scotty Mo is done unless hell freezes over and we win out, but with no AD and god knows what’s going on with the Chancellor I’m scared to death we could go 3-9 again and keep him due to zero leadership.

Does he have another year on his contract?

2 years. We'll owe him 800k when we let him go at the end of the year.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2018 11:55 AM by Lethemeul.)
11-19-2018 11:55 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(11-19-2018 11:49 AM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(11-19-2018 11:29 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Golden- Miami
Addazio- BC
Rhule- Baylor

But okay?

As BearcatMan said, Fickell is a different situation than most coaches that have used AAC schools as stepping stones. Not saying he is unpoachable, but he is less likely to be poached than any of the coaches listed above. If the right job comes calling, he will take it. But he's likely not going to leave for a P5 bottom-dweller, nor is he likely to have interest in a job that takes him to a different part of the country. He's Columbus born and raised, went to OSU, and his 19-year coaching career includes 15 years at OSU, 2 years at Akron, and 2 years at Cincinnati.
11-19-2018 12:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.