WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

'Must win' games???
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
'Must win' games???
I'm seeing several of you posting that the CMU contest is a 'must win' game and if we lose this season is a writeoff. Sorry, don't agree.

I hope we beat CMU, but if we lose we have 3 more MAC contests this season. We're 5-3 and another win makes us bowl eligible. Even a minor bowl would cap-off what has been a challenging and difficult season.

What-if we lose to CMU are some of you going to be hand wringing, teeth gnashing and hair pulling the rest of the season? Spare us the histrionics. Every game is a contest and I want to see us fighting right up to the last minute of the last game this season.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 07:25 AM by BroncoPhilly.)
10-24-2017 07:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
RE: 'Must win' games???
If we lose to CMU, we have 2 conference losses before going on the road to both NIU and Toledo.

The season will effectively be over if we lose against CMU.

MACC > Bowl game. Give me a MAC West title and a shot in the championship EVERY time over playing Arkansas State in the Camellia Bowl or New Mexico in the Idaho Potato Bowl. 03-phew

CMU (regardless of our wins/losses) is always a must-win game.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 08:32 AM by Hoekjeness.)
10-24-2017 07:25 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2017 07:24 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  What-if we lose to CMU are some of you going to be hand wringing, teeth gnashing and hair pulling the rest of the season?

Yes, losing to CMU is completely unacceptable.
10-24-2017 07:28 AM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-24-2017 07:28 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(10-24-2017 07:24 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  What-if we lose to CMU are some of you going to be hand wringing, teeth gnashing and hair pulling the rest of the season?

Yes, losing to CMU is completely unacceptable.

No, losing to CMU is completely undesirable. That I agree with. But 'unacceptable'? What, you going to symbolically immolate yourself in this forum if we lose to CMU? That might be interesting. LOL
10-24-2017 07:31 AM
Bronc33 Offline
1st String

CMU is a must win game. This is why we hired a Bronco, he knows how important this game is. We have a better team than those guys, we're at home. This is a must win.

Sure we can still accomplish some things if we lose this (the season wouldn't be over) but a loss to CMU would effectively end our mac championship hopes.
10-24-2017 07:37 AM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

(10-24-2017 07:25 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  If we lose to CMU, we have 1 conference loss before going on the road to both NIU and Toledo.

Akron don't count?
10-24-2017 07:44 AM
Advertisement

GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(10-24-2017 07:24 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  I'm seeing several of you posting that the CMU contest is a 'must win' game and if we lose this season is a writeoff. Sorry, don't agree.

I hope we beat CMU, but if we lose we have 3 more MAC contests this season. We're 5-3 and another win makes us bowl eligible. Even a minor bowl would cap-off what has been a challenging and difficult season.

What-if we lose to CMU are some of you going to be hand wringing, teeth gnashing and hair pulling the rest of the season? Spare us the histrionics. Every game is a contest and I want to see us fighting right up to the last minute of the last game this season.

You play for championships and to beat your rival.

If - IF - WMU loses to CMU it is effectively out of championship contention and will have lost to its out-manned rival for the first time in four years.

Losing to Central Michigan is undesirable, unacceptable, and inexcusable.
10-24-2017 07:50 AM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

Early forecast for next Weds is mid 40's but dry at kickoff, should be perfect fall football weather. Maybe we should have a coat drive for the students? You know what they will show up in
10-24-2017 07:54 AM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(10-24-2017 07:54 AM)BuickBronco Wrote:  Early forecast for next Weds is mid 40's but dry at kickoff, should be perfect fall football weather. Maybe we should have a coat drive for the students? You know what they will show up in

University of Michigan sweatshirts?

/ducks
10-24-2017 08:21 AM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

Must win while breaking in a true freshman QB 1st ever start?? I'm guessing they will be very conservative with the passing game much like Wassink's 1st couple starts. Our special teams and defense will need to play lights out to win this game.
10-24-2017 08:22 AM
RunningGame Offline
All American

I don't believe in the concept of the must-win game, unless you're the Flint Tropics and have to win to keep the team operating.

That said, CMU and Kent State are games we should expect to win, even with Goddard getting first-time action. We should expect it to come down to the last drive in NIU. Toledo is good, but we'll see where this team is heading in, if the West title is on the line, we should expect to win there, just like we shocked them a few seasons ago. Toledo chokes in those big games the last few seasons, and this team doesn't choke (we just start slow...).
10-24-2017 08:27 AM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2017 07:44 AM)BuickBronco Wrote:  
(10-24-2017 07:25 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  If we lose to CMU, we have 1 conference loss before going on the road to both NIU and Toledo.

Akron don't count?

Oops, good catch.
10-24-2017 08:32 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2017 07:37 AM)Bronc33 Wrote:  CMU is a must win game. This is why we hired a Bronco, he knows how important this game is. We have a better team than those guys, we're at home. This is a must win.

Sure we can still accomplish some things if we lose this (the season wouldn't be over) but a loss to CMU would effectively end our mac championship hopes.

We finally agree on something! 02-13-banana04-cheers
10-24-2017 08:33 AM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(10-24-2017 08:22 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  Must win while breaking in a true freshman QB 1st ever start?? I'm guessing they will be very conservative with the passing game much like Wassink's 1st couple starts. Our special teams and defense will need to play lights out to win this game.

Losing to CMU and no MAC Championship combined = FAILED season.

WMU needs one or the other, preferably both.

Right now, the Broncos remain championship contenders, to Lester's credit. While winning it outright will be extremely difficult with NIU and UT on-the-road, it is ESSENTIAL this team beat CMU.

Lester understands what he signed-up for. Fleck did too. Cubit didn't.

Gotta beat your rival for survival.
10-24-2017 09:20 AM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-24-2017 07:37 AM)Bronc33 Wrote:  CMU is a must win game. This is why we hired a Bronco, he knows how important this game is. We have a better team than those guys, we're at home. This is a must win.

The way CMU has been playing this season, hot and cold??? The MAC west division winner could easily be determined the last game of the season.

Even IF we lose to CMU, the season is not over with. We could easily be in contention the final games of the season. I can see the MAC west being won with 2 divisional losses this season. And even so, one more win puts us in contention for a bowl game.

Don't get me wrong, I seriously want to beat the Chips. But with Goddard at QB and WRers still learning we could well lose. I don't need to hear 'this season is over!' for the next 4 weeks in this forum. With a PROGRAM every game matters. And no game is a season-killer.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 09:25 AM by BroncoPhilly.)
10-24-2017 09:24 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2017 09:24 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  Even IF we lose to CMU, the season is not over with. We could easily be in contention the final games of the season. I can see the MAC west being won with 2 divisional losses this season.

What on earth are you smoking? No, the season is over if we lose to CMU. We aren't going anywhere with 2 conference losses with remaining road games at Toledo and NIU -- both of whom have 0 conference losses.
10-24-2017 09:28 AM
Advertisement

BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Do East Division losses count in the hunt for West Division championship? I don't know, that has changed over the years in the MAC.

CMU has lost to Toledo (west) and Miami (east). We've lost only to Akron (east) to date. IF we lose to CMU and then run the table, how does that impact our West Division championship chances?
10-24-2017 09:41 AM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

(10-24-2017 09:41 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  Do East Division losses count in the hunt for West Division championship? I don't know, that has changed over the years in the MAC.

CMU has lost to Toledo (west) and Miami (east). We've lost only to Akron (east) to date. IF we lose to CMU and then run the table, how does that impact our West Division championship chances?
Two losses rarely gets you MAC west division title
10-24-2017 09:54 AM
schwebbs84 Offline
1st String

(10-24-2017 09:54 AM)BuickBronco Wrote:  
(10-24-2017 09:41 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  Do East Division losses count in the hunt for West Division championship? I don't know, that has changed over the years in the MAC.

I've said numerous times in this forum that winning the MAC West usually requires running the table unbeaten in conference play. This has been the case for at least the last ten years, if not longer.
10-24-2017 09:57 AM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
(10-24-2017 09:54 AM)BuickBronco Wrote:  

There was a 4-way tie for 1st place in the MACW in 2015. There was also a tie in 2005 at 6-2.

To answer the question though:
1) head to head among tied teams
2) record against MACW
3) MACE opponents MAC record

The only time crossover opponents record counts is when there are 3+ teams tied atop the standings, they all went 1-1 against each other, and their losses came against the opposing division. Example, 2005 with Akron/Miami/BG were all 5-3 and 1-1 against each other so tiebreaker 1 didn't work. All 3 of the teams had 2 losses from the MACW. Meaning, they all beat the other 3 MACE teams so tiebreaker 2 did not produce a winner. If let's say Miami had lost to Ohio as well, they would have been eliminated because Akron and BG were both 4-2 against the MACE while Miami would have been 3-3 against the MACE.

Tiebreaker 3:
Akron played CMU/BSU/NIU whose MAC record was a combined 15-9.
BG played BSU/WMU/UT whose MAC record was a combined 15-9.
Miami played CMU/NIU/EMU whose MAC record was a combined 14-10.

So normally, the team with the best crossover opponent record wins, but here Akron and BG were tied. Miami was eliminated obviously. It then reverts back to tiebreaker 1, where Akron beat BG that season, therefore Akron won the MACE.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 12:28 PM by george14.)
10-24-2017 12:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.