Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Do you Jonesboro A-State fans have your Chancellors Back.
Bookmark and Share
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
You know the guy, who along with the System President, has made A-State athletics successful again, something some powerful " fan's of both schools" in Jonesboro did not want. They have a history of supporting A-State as long as they kept their seat in the back of the bus.

Know he criticized the Jonesboro mayor and the city counsel for backstabbing him and A-State on the convention center ( the on campus site will be a big boost to A-State Athletics) and indicated that people would eventually find out there was some skulduggery involved.

Now the local newspaper (who IMO does have an anti-ASU agenda) are going after him and the System President.

No problem but where is the tit for tat?

Who among you Jonesboro fans are making sure light is shed on what went down with the mayor and the counsel members with the other convention center.

My instincts tells me there is something to your Chancellors concerns about improprieties on the part of the mayor and others, and they are trying to be proactive get rid of him.

Tit for tat.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2016 07:34 AM by Seminole Indian.)
07-28-2016 07:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state
RE: Do you Jonesboro A-State fans have your Chancellors Back.
(07-28-2016 07:11 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  You know the guy, who along with the System President, has made A-State athletics successful again, something some powerful " fan's of both schools" in Jonesboro did not want. They have a history of supporting A-State as long as they kept their seat in the back of the bus.

Know he criticized the Jonesboro mayor and the city counsel for backstabbing him and A-State on the convention center ( the on campus site will be a big boost to A-State Athletics) and indicated that people would eventually find out there was some skulduggery involved.

Now the local newspaper (who IMO does have an anti-ASU agenda) are going after him and the System President.

No problem but where is the tit for tat?

Who among you Jonesboro fans are making sure light is shed on what went down with the mayor and the counsel members with the other convention center.

My instincts tells me there is something to your Chancellors concerns about improprieties on the part of the mayor and others, and they are trying to be proactive get rid of him.

Tit for tat.

I don't see that the two issues are necessarily related. The chancellor enjoys the support of the system president and the hotel convention center is moving forward. Most small town newspapers wants to make issues for the readers and this is no different.
07-28-2016 08:47 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
It's a non issue. Basically there are a few things we generally know coming in

1. Jonesboro politicians are no less corrupt than any other politician.

2. The Jonesboro Sun would much rather attack Arkansas State than promote it.

3. We stopped caring long ago and are doing whatever we want to do, no matter what those two entities think about it.

So, to clarify what happened. Our Chancellor recently hired his wife (Who was qualified) to direct our study abroad programs on a part time basis. After several months, he then tried to upgrade her to a full time position, but was blocked by our System president because school bylaws prevent someone from hiring their spouse to a full time position. Rather than hiring somebody else, he simply cancelled the open position, and left her in charge on a part time basis.

Soon after that, it was doscovered that his wife had made several clerical errors, basically assigning funds to different groups without first getting written approval from our finance department. The money was audited, and it went where it was supposed to go, but she used incorrect methods to get it there.

Basically, she was forced to resign her position and we are now looking for a replacement. Rather than making that the end of it, the local paper who is still not happy over AState going behind the city's back and building a convention center without Jonesboro approval, and also in a beef with AState over a bunch of various issues wrote a scathing editorial today calling for our Chancellor's head, and calling out the System President for not firing him.

It's typical Jonesboro.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2016 02:27 PM by chiefsfan.)
07-28-2016 02:15 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(07-28-2016 02:15 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  It's a non issue. Basically there are a few things we generally know coming in

3. We stopped caring long ago and are doing whatever we want to do, no matter what those two entities think about it.

So, to clarify what happened. Our Chancellor recently hired his wife (Who was qualified) to direct our study abroad programs on a part time basis. After several months, he then tried to upgrade her to a full time position, but was blocked by our System president because school bylaws prevent someone from hiring their spouse to a full time position. Rather than hiring somebody else, he simply cancelled the open position, and left her in charge on a part time basis.

Soon after that, it was doscovered that his wife had made several clerical errors, basically assigning funds to different groups without first getting written approval from our finance department. The money was audited, and it went where it was supposed to go, but she used incorrect methods to get it there.

Basically, she was forced to resign her position and we are now looking for a replacement. Rather than making that the end of it, the local paper who is still not happy over AState going behind the city's back and building a convention center without Jonesboro approval, and also in a beef with AState over a bunch of various issues wrote a scathing editorial today calling for our Chancellor's head, and calling out the System President for not firing him.

It's typical Jonesboro.

Seems innocent enough but you would think in this day and age that a president wouldn't hire their spouse - makes no sense to invite that drama.

Winthrop a couple of years ago had a new president. Her husband was hired and there is evidence that the board, former president, and other staff were all complicit if not encouraging and advising her that it was all fine. But then it was used against her and she was fired.
07-28-2016 02:47 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
There is another twist between the city and AState that has yet to emerge and may not see the light of day until the convention center is about to open and the city is NOT going to like it.
07-28-2016 03:06 PM
HowlForAState Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(07-28-2016 03:06 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  There is another twist between the city and AState that has yet to emerge and may not see the light of day until the convention center is about to open and the city is NOT going to like it.

.... You've piqued my interest.
07-28-2016 03:09 PM
Advertisement

Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state
(07-28-2016 02:47 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  
(07-28-2016 02:15 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  It's a non issue. Basically there are a few things we generally know coming in

It's typical Jonesboro.

Seems innocent enough but you would think in this day and age that a president wouldn't hire their spouse - makes no sense to invite that drama.

Winthrop a couple of years ago had a new president. Her husband was hired and there is evidence that the board, former president, and other staff were all complicit if not encouraging and advising her that it was all fine. But then it was used against her and she was fired.

Wasn't our president but the chancellor of the Jonesboro (main) campus. The pres is supportive and believe the board will be as well.
07-28-2016 03:26 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(07-28-2016 03:09 PM)HowlForAState Wrote:  
(07-28-2016 03:06 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  There is another twist between the city and AState that has yet to emerge and may not see the light of day until the convention center is about to open and the city is NOT going to like it.

You will have to wait, and I don't think there is any paper/email trail to FOI COGS
07-28-2016 03:34 PM
Ed Harley Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: stAte
(07-28-2016 03:34 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

You will have to wait, and I don't think there is any paper/email trail to FOI COGS

C'mon arkstfan! You can't give us hints then leave us hanging!
07-28-2016 04:35 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

One thing I know for sure is the folks at the SUN are extremely wary of getting on the wrong side of A-State supporters on this matter , and are going out of their way to portray themselves as pro-asu. I thought that only happened with the UofA, things have changed.

Might explain why their sports reporter had such nice things to say about the football team.

They ended their editorial today with "It's time for Welch and the board of trusties to make some tough decisions to get ASU back to the university we all know and love."

Back to the university we all know and love, what are they talking about A-State fans? Eliminate all Doctoral programs? Move football back to1AA? Tear down the new facilities? Get rid of the med school. Don't build a first class convention center on campus that benefits the institution that will provide much of the business? Are most likely don't call out a mayor and other elected officials for engaging in skulduggery, and probably worse.

IMO if A-State alumni and supporters allow these local yokels to get away with this they will lose THEIR University (maybe just call it Jonesboro City College) , and these people don't give a rats ass about the University unless it benefits them.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2016 04:59 PM by Seminole Indian.)
07-28-2016 04:49 PM
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
I don't understand the mentality of Jonesboro city leaders. Do they not understand that there are hundreds of towns across the USA that would kill to have a D1 university in their town and the economic impact it brings with it?
07-28-2016 04:52 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(07-28-2016 04:52 PM)MT FAN Wrote:  I don't understand the mentality of Jonesboro city leaders. Do they not understand that there are hundreds of towns across the USA that would kill to have a D1 university in their town and the economic impact it brings with it?

No. The last item we tried to push past Jonesboro, renaming a city street Red Wolf Blvd turned what should have been a simple issue into a contentious vote with council members heavily speaking out against. Some saying that "Memphis tourists wouldn't be able to find where they want to go" Like Memphis residents vacation in Jonesboro or something.

City leaders here care about one thing...money in their pocket. If you can provide that, you get what you want. Scary thing is these guys get elected over and over again.

The one advantage we have is that AState fans now outnumber pig fans in town, so we're able to throw our weight around a little more. We've at least gotten to the point that the local television and radio media is AState first, High School 2nd, Pigs 3rd. That's a start, but there is a long way to go.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2016 05:14 PM by chiefsfan.)
07-28-2016 05:12 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(07-28-2016 04:49 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  One thing I know for sure is the folks at the SUN are extremely wary of getting on the wrong side of A-State supporters on this matter , and are going out of their way to portray themselves as pro-asu. I thought that only happened with the UofA, things have changed.

Might explain why their sports reporter had such nice things to say about the football team.

They ended their editorial today with "It's time for Welch and the board of trusties to make some tough decisions to get ASU back to the university we all know and love."

Back to the university we all know and love, what are they talking about A-State fans? Eliminate all Doctoral programs? Move football back to1AA? Tear down the new facilities? Get rid of the med school. Don't build a first class convention center on campus that benefits the institution that will provide much of the business? Are most likely don't call out a mayor and other elected officials for engaging in skulduggery, and probably worse.

IMO if A-State alumni and supporters allow these local yokels to get away with this they will lose THEIR University (maybe just call it Jonesboro City College) , and these people don't give a rats ass about the University unless it benefits them.

We're not allowing anyone to get away with anything. Anyone who has paid attention to this knows who is winning this fight, and its not Jonesboro. We bring in a few million dollars to the local economy yearly, and are the 2nd largest employer in the county. We're not going anywhere

Honestly though, Jonesboro leaders would love for us to go back to the ASU from 10 years ago. That's sort of the point. They much preferred us as a small commuter campus that brought a few jobs to the area, but didn't ask for much. They don't like the version that's growing by the day and starting to punch in a different weight class.
07-28-2016 05:18 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(07-28-2016 05:12 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(07-28-2016 04:52 PM)MT FAN Wrote:  I don't understand the mentality of Jonesboro city leaders. Do they not understand that there are hundreds of towns across the USA that would kill to have a D1 university in their town and the economic impact it brings with it?

No. The last item we tried to push past Jonesboro, renaming a city street Red Wolf Blvd turned what should have been a simple issue into a contentious vote with council members heavily speaking out against. Some saying that "Memphis tourists wouldn't be able to find where they want to go" Like Memphis residents vacation in Jonesboro or something.

City leaders here care about one thing...money in their pocket. If you can provide that, you get what you want. Scary thing is these guys get elected over and over again.

The one advantage we have is that AState fans now outnumber pig fans in town, so we're able to throw our weight around a little more. We've at least gotten to the point that the local television and radio media is AState first, High School 2nd, Pigs 3rd. That's a start, but there is a long way to go.

Growing up an Auburn fan, one thing that I have liked is the City of Auburn has embraced the University.

Just a few street names inside the city that are associated with the University.

1. College Street
2. University Drive
3. Shug Jordan Parkway
4. Donahue Drive
5. Samford Ave
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2016 05:50 PM by ValleyBoy.)
07-28-2016 05:49 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte

Sounds alcohol related. 04-cheers
07-28-2016 06:01 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(07-28-2016 05:18 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(07-28-2016 04:49 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  One thing I know for sure is the folks at the SUN are extremely wary of getting on the wrong side of A-State supporters on this matter , and are going out of their way to portray themselves as pro-asu. I thought that only happened with the UofA, things have changed.

We're not allowing anyone to get away with anything. Anyone who has paid attention to this knows who is winning this fight, and its not Jonesboro. We bring in a few million dollars to the local economy yearly, and are the 2nd largest employer in the county. We're not going anywhere

Honestly though, Jonesboro leaders would love for us to go back to the ASU from 10 years ago. That's sort of the point. They much preferred us as a small commuter campus that brought a few jobs to the area, but didn't ask for much. They don't like the version that's growing by the day and starting to punch in a different weight class.
I did not know that, and am kinda jealous. .

The last time I was asked to join the fray, when all was said and done the ASU president was out, governor was out, and one of the richest men in Arkansas decided it would be in his best interest to leave the country.

That was my last involvement with A-State.
07-28-2016 06:52 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State

They take A-State for granted.

If a local industry was the 2nd largest employer....they'd be falling all over themselves to provide incentives, grease the ways, and provide free massages. But they know A-State cannot pick up and leave like an industry can.

The same for any other entity that brought thousands of people into town to spend money daily for months at a time. They'd probably do anything to lure such a thing.

They are pretty darn petty.

Luckily, quite a few in the business community get it and are very supportive. If it weren't for them, I'd be in favor of moving all of our games to Little Rock for a year just to make a point.
07-28-2016 06:57 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(07-28-2016 04:35 PM)Ed Harley Wrote:  

C'mon arkstfan! You can't give us hints then leave us hanging!

Wanna bet?
07-28-2016 07:33 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Jonesboro the community is hugely behind AState. Most businesses have their windows painted up with Red Wolves and stAte logos.

Jonesboro the city government fails to grasp that the university is not just the second largest employer, it provides 13k or so consumers even more on football weekends. It provides a large supply of minimum wage or just above workers for the local businesses. Plus a steady supply of new college grads many of whom want to stay and fill any job vacancies so local businesses don't have to compete much with Little Rock or Memphis in salaries for new hires.
07-28-2016 07:43 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

(07-28-2016 07:43 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Jonesboro the community is hugely behind AState. Most businesses have their windows painted up with Red Wolves and stAte logos.

Jonesboro the city government fails to grasp that the university is not just the second largest employer, it provides 13k or so consumers even more on football weekends. It provides a large supply of minimum wage or just above workers for the local businesses. Plus a steady supply of new college grads many of whom want to stay and fill any job vacancies so local businesses don't have to compete much with Little Rock or Memphis in salaries for new hires.

No doubt. I think they ( really don't know who they are), are trying to do everything they can to make sure they are not being perceived as anti-asu in this witch-hunt.

As long as we can shed some light on all the details involving the mayor and other elected officials regarding the other convention center I'm good.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2016 11:15 PM by Seminole Indian.)
07-28-2016 11:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.