Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sirius College Football Morning show calls the AAC the P6 this morning
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Sirius College Football Morning show calls the AAC the P6 this morning
More good stuff on the Sirius radio channel covering college sports this morning(Thursday). Mike Aresco was interviewed and did a great job selling the league. The host of the show said that the AAC is the 6th power conference. The host went on to once again discuss how good the coaches were in the AAC.

They told Aresco that Navy was a great add to the conference. Finally they hypothesized that if a new, made up school in Texas were to start a program with unlimited resources what AAC coach would they pick to lead the team.
One host said Ruffin from ECU the other said Justin from Memphis.

The segment discussing the AAC was on for a good 25 mins. I know that there will be haters that will dismiss what was said about the AAC this morning but anytime you have an important media outlet calling the AAC a P6 and giving us praise and on air time is fantastic free publicity.
12-18-2014 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dezagcoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coogs!
RE: Sirius College Football Morning show calls the AAC the P6 this morning
That's awesome!! I like Aresco, he really seems to be working hard to change the reputation we have. I think if in a few years our teams do well and the playoffs expand to 8 we have a decent chance at getting an AAC access bowl. IF things keep moving in the positive direction they are.

Dismiss the haters man, this is good stuff!
12-18-2014 09:31 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
I think landing 3 nationally renowned coaches at Houston, SMU, and Tulsa, was great pub for the conference and our football reputation.

Ruff is like no other. Glad to have him in our conference.
12-18-2014 10:05 AM
johniesFan99 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: st johns
(12-18-2014 09:28 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  More good stuff on the Sirius radio channel covering college sports this morning(Thursday). Mike Aresco was interviewed and did a great job selling the league. The host of the show said that the AAC is the 6th power conference. The host went on to once again discuss how good the coaches were in the AAC.

They told Aresco that Navy was a great add to the conference. Finally they hypothesized that if a new, made up school in Texas were to start a program with unlimited resources what AAC coach would they pick to lead the team.
One host said Ruffin from ECU the other said Justin from Memphis.

The segment discussing the AAC was on for a good 25 mins. I know that there will be haters that will dismiss what was said about the AAC this morning but anytime you have an important media outlet calling the AAC a P6 and giving us praise and on air time is fantastic free publicity.

Did they asked the question to Aresco about the threat of the big 12 might or might not expand?
12-18-2014 10:12 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(12-18-2014 10:05 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  I think landing 3 nationally renowned coaches at Houston, SMU, and Tulsa, was great pub for the conference and our football reputation.

He is certainly no Skip Holtz...who brought ECU 2 CUSA Conf Titles...their only conf titles during their 17 year run in CUSA.

Ruff has been at ECU for 5 seasons...still waiting to win his first ever conf title.
12-18-2014 10:16 AM
SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

I'll consider us a "Power Conference" when our champ goes to Miami to play in the Orange Bowl instead of the Miami Marlins Bowl.
12-18-2014 10:18 AM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(12-18-2014 10:18 AM)SteveUCF19 Wrote:  I'll consider us a "Power Conference" when our champ goes to Miami to play in the Orange Bowl instead of the Miami Marlins Bowl.

Last year our Champ won the Fiesta against the Big 12 Champion. Did you consider us a power conference then? Before that, our Champ beat the Gators in a BCS bowl.

As for having a contract with the Orange, I'm sure that's something Aresco is trying to do. However, that battle is fought in an office. No matter how good our athletes are, they have no control over that situation.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 10:32 AM by BigEastHomer.)
12-18-2014 10:31 AM
k-vegasbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Well I think the biggest thing is that this conference is full of schools that are committed to investing in their programs. I've been very impressed with the coaching hires made as well as all the facility improvements. As long as the schools are committed to improving I think the future is bright for this league.
12-18-2014 10:39 AM
VirginiaPirate Offline
2nd String

Considering the monopoly that is the P5 aristocracy, us G5 middle class can aspire to those heights and watch our brethren get picked off one by one into the aristocracy upon proving they can become "new money". It's all about the $$$$$. Unless any of our schools bring that factor to the aristocracy, we will remain middle class.

Sure we have a war chest right now but being the perceived P6 (MWC would argue that point given Boise St is the first G5 rep) helps the cause for inclusion with the aristocracy. We have to fight like hell to stay the tweener conference and break through. I know we have Navy coming which will help perception.

Depending on how things shake out over the next 5 years, how many G5s we lose to the Aristocracy over that period, and if ESPN gives our conference a raise, I believe we will then be forced into an alliance with the MWC. It would also push the Sun Belt, CUSA, and MAC into Elite FCS status leaving the "American Mountain Conference" as the P6.
12-18-2014 10:46 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(12-18-2014 10:16 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(12-18-2014 10:05 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  I think landing 3 nationally renowned coaches at Houston, SMU, and Tulsa, was great pub for the conference and our football reputation.

He is certainly no Skip Holtz...who brought ECU 2 CUSA Conf Titles...their only conf titles during their 17 year run in CUSA.

Ruff has been at ECU for 5 seasons...still waiting to win his first ever conf title.

Skip may have been a better x's and o's coach, but Ruff is a great person and a better recruiter. We have more talent now than we did when Skip was here.
12-18-2014 10:48 AM
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
Aresco has sold the media powers that be, we are the P6, everywhere I looked, I see nothing but good things being said about the "American" " ESPN etc. We just need the tv contract to increase. This is just another confirmation..."American Rising"
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 11:42 AM by BIgCatonProwl.)
12-18-2014 10:49 AM
Advertisement

gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
ESPN is key. The MWC has to be thrilled with Boise coming back and facilitating their deal. Don't think a P6 can happen under the current structure. A merger might make sense in a breakaway scenario.

[Image: B5JMMkPCAAE4xfB.jpg]
12-18-2014 10:56 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(12-18-2014 10:31 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(12-18-2014 10:18 AM)SteveUCF19 Wrote:  I'll consider us a "Power Conference" when our champ goes to Miami to play in the Orange Bowl instead of the Miami Marlins Bowl.

Last year our Champ won the Fiesta against the Big 12 Champion. Did you consider us a power conference then? Before that, our Champ beat the Gators in a BCS bowl.

As for having a contract with the Orange, I'm sure that's something Aresco is trying to do. However, that battle is fought in an office. No matter how good our athletes are, they have no control over that situation.

No one had to "consider" last year's AAC/the old Big East to be a power conference. It wasn't a subjective opinion - the old Big East was objectively *contractually* defined to be a power conference, which is the only thing that mattered then and the only thing that matters now (regardless of what occurs on-the-field).
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 11:01 AM by Frank the Tank.)
12-18-2014 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
(12-18-2014 11:01 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

No one had to "consider" last year's AAC/the old Big East to be a power conference. It wasn't a subjective opinion - the old Big East was objectively *contractually* defined to be a power conference, which is the only thing that mattered then and the only thing that matters now (regardless of what occurs on-the-field).

remember these days frank07-coffee3
http://www.nunesmagician.com/2012/5/8/30...-tranghese
12-18-2014 11:06 AM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame

monday afternoon i'll be sitting in marlin park with 80 degree temps and a cold beer in my hand watching my football team play. what a sucky bowl game.
12-18-2014 11:10 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

If your going to try to cut a school at the knees at least do it right. ECU was inCOnference USA for 13 not 17 years. Details right.
12-18-2014 11:11 AM
Advertisement

SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

(12-18-2014 11:10 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  

monday afternoon i'll be sitting in marlin park with 80 degree temps and a cold beer in my hand watching my football team play. what a sucky bowl game.

I think you're missing my point.
12-18-2014 11:29 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Learned that the hard way...on the Field the old BIG EAST did as well as any other old BCS League...in the boardroom not so much...07-coffee3
12-18-2014 11:34 AM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
(12-18-2014 11:34 AM)Maize Wrote:  

Learned that the hard way...on the Field the old BIG EAST did as well as any other old BCS League...in the boardroom not so much...07-coffee3
sadly to the bottom line was was more money and better bowl games that killed the big east.
if they were more pro active and dumped the non fb schools much sooner, the bleeding wouldah been not as bad.

having this 11 team league with navy on board a year sooner may have gotten us 5mill.........
12-18-2014 11:53 AM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina

Skip had the same # of wins, no 10 win season, never had a two year stretch of 4-1 vs the ACC, Skip won only one bowl game, Ruff has won one bowl.
12-18-2014 12:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.