Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead?
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead?
We have 3 guaranteed spots next year. It would be nice to have 4 in 2015 when 2 more Sun Belt team become eligible to go to a bowl.
01-13-2014 09:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gostAte870 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead?
I hope that the Riceland Foods Rice Bowl deal works out. We want our own bowl like UL-L.
01-13-2014 09:21 PM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
RE: Is the Sun Belt still working on getting a bowl in Little Rock or is this dead?
(01-13-2014 09:21 PM)gostAte870 Wrote:  I hope that the Riceland Foods Rice Bowl deal works out. We want our own bowl like UL-L.

That's why I want that Charleston bowl, perfect for App and GaSo to alternate.
01-13-2014 09:29 PM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Charleston Bowl is out. NCAA postseason prohibition on playing a game in South Carolina got them.

As for Little Rock...its still being worked on, but without a 2nd conference, the chances are slim.
01-13-2014 09:49 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Just give it time. There are bowls out there, like the BBVA Bowl in Birmingham, that so far doesn't have a sponsor for next season and may be willing to move the bowl to a city that they can get a sponsor. Lots of things can change over the next 30 days in college sports.
01-13-2014 09:54 PM
HCJag Offline
All American

(01-13-2014 09:49 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Charleston Bowl is out. NCAA postseason prohibition on playing a game in South Carolina got them.

As for Little Rock...its still being worked on, but without a 2nd conference, the chances are slim.

What's that all about? The flag thing?
01-13-2014 09:59 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Online

(01-13-2014 09:59 PM)HCJag Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 09:49 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Charleston Bowl is out. NCAA postseason prohibition on playing a game in South Carolina got them.

Yep. NCAA has to be politically correct. A Bowl game in Charleston would most likely start a debate with the NAACP, and that is something you don't want.
01-13-2014 10:00 PM
UnitedWeFanTXST Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Texas State
We do not need another bowl, we need to take over a CUSA or MAC spot.
01-13-2014 10:05 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-13-2014 10:05 PM)UnitedWeFanTXST Wrote:  We do not need another bowl, we need to take over a CUSA or MAC spot.

+1
01-13-2014 10:08 PM
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY
(01-13-2014 10:00 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 09:59 PM)HCJag Wrote:  

Yep. NCAA has to be politically correct. A Bowl game in Charleston would most likely start a debate with the NAACP, and that is something you don't want.
01-13-2014 10:09 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
I think Little Rock would be a great venue for a SBC bowl game. Why can't the SBC be the anchor conference and the second spot rotate between the MWC, MAC, CUSA and American?
01-13-2014 10:09 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Online

(01-13-2014 10:09 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  I think Little Rock would be a great venue for a SBC bowl game. Why can't the SBC be the anchor conference and the second spot rotate between the MWC, MAC, CUSA and American?

Our best hope is to get the AAC involved I think, but as of right now the AAC still thinks they can get a bowl with a P5 team.
01-13-2014 10:11 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(01-13-2014 10:05 PM)UnitedWeFanTXST Wrote:  We do not need another bowl, we need to take over a CUSA or MAC spot.

The Belt needs to just buy those two conferences, keep the good teams and send the others to the Taint.
01-13-2014 10:12 PM
HogWolf Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ASU and UA
Little Rock has done a beautiful job with their downtown and entertainment district. It would be a great bowl city.
01-13-2014 10:46 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(01-13-2014 09:21 PM)gostAte870 Wrote:  I hope that the Riceland Foods Rice Bowl deal works out. We want our own bowl like UL-L.

Hey we got our own bowl too... The Camellia bowl in Montgomery is just 40 mins down the road... Not to mention the 2nd largest Troy University satellite campus is in Montgomery.
01-13-2014 10:51 PM
HogWolf Offline
Water Engineer

(01-13-2014 10:09 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  I think Little Rock would be a great venue for a SBC bowl game. Why can't the SBC be the anchor conference and the second spot rotate between the MWC, MAC, CUSA and American?

The MAC, AAC, and CUSA would be a great roatation with fans that could easily get to LR. LR has a good airport with Southwest Airlines to keep the rates low. I think Little Rock could be a very good bowl with plenty to do in the area. The SBC teams in the region would easily travel to LR.
01-14-2014 10:55 AM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Securing bowls that are all inside our footprint work great for fans. Keep schools close to home and sure to get a big crowd. The problem is the MAC side of it. They don't travel well historically and these bowls that are in Mobile and Montgomery are a long ride for them. We share a footprint with AAC and CUSA, would like to see more matchups with them.
01-14-2014 11:19 AM
HogWolf Offline
Water Engineer

(01-14-2014 11:19 AM)Usajags Wrote:  Securing bowls that are all inside our footprint work great for fans. Keep schools close to home and sure to get a big crowd. The problem is the MAC side of it. They don't travel well historically and these bowls that are in Mobile and Montgomery are a long ride for them. We share a footprint with AAC and CUSA, would like to see more matchups with them.

You make some good points about the MAC travel. The MAC teams do ok on TV rating though. The old CUSA was a great fit, but the new one is less so. As for CUSA- Marshall, LaTech, and Tulsa may catch some viewers, but UNT, Rice, USM, and UAB to a lesser degree. Travel wise- UNT, Latech, Tulsa, USM, UAB, and Rice would travel well to LR bowl.
01-14-2014 11:49 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Yeah, that is why a few days ago I had suggested a bowl for the MAC in Indianapolis. Right in the middle of their footprint and if they tied it to CUSA or AAC could get some nice regional travel out of it. In this economy games closer to home is just better for a large turn out. A game in St Pete, in a bad building and a MAC team coming in just doesn't seem to work.
01-14-2014 12:09 PM
HogWolf Offline
Water Engineer

(01-14-2014 12:09 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Yeah, that is why a few days ago I had suggested a bowl for the MAC in Indianapolis. Right in the middle of their footprint and if they tied it to CUSA or AAC could get some nice regional travel out of it. In this economy games closer to home is just better for a large turn out. A game in St Pete, in a bad building and a MAC team coming in just doesn't seem to work.

That is a good idea.
01-14-2014 03:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.